Another what should I buy thread..

Mitten

Likes Bikes
My trusty Cell Awaba 2.0 meet a violent end last month when my 17 year old P plated daughter got reverse and drive mixed up in the garage and drove straight into my bike.. Anyway I was able to get some money from the insurance and decided to invest in a dualie as I'm enjoying riding off road a lot more these days and the hatdtail was a bit bumpy.
I'm budgeted to about 3-3.5k max. I'm also 6'5 tall so a few bikes are too small for me (even the XXL size with some models).

A mate suggested the Polygon T8 which is about $3500 and spec wise it looks excellent but I do prefer the old bricks and mortar shops mainly for warranty and servicing (last bike was online and had a few issues) . I'm not against online buying though just wondering what else is out there?
Ideally a 11 or 12 speed with good brakes as I weigh 110kg and decent shocks to hold my delicate frame.

I mainly do XC and tail rides as well. Try to avoid jumps and steep downhill stuff.

Any help welcome, finding the amount of bikes daunting, some have great spec gears and brakes then awful shocks, also some shops are saying 6 month waits...=(

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does it have to be new? There's often some decent bikes for sale in FB if you know what to look for and can be bothered.

Just remembered that FS bikes are set for riders ~80kgs or so. This means the shock may need a decent tune to work without jamming it full of spacers and max air pressure.

Oh, and get a decent reach and rear centre length so it's proportional to the front across the sizes.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
@Mitten, I’d always suggest s/h or runout models in your budget as a rule. Lots of corners are cut on a $3500 bike unfortunately.
That said, the used market is up the shitter with COVID, and there just isn’t new bikes sitting around for clearance sales.
Are you looking at pure XC, or something a bit more versatile on the trails, even if not planning jumps and gravity?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Dear Mittens, sorry to hear about your kittens.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Dear Mittens, sorry to hear about your kittens.

Pretty big jump in spec between the 2 and 1 for $600 extra. Not bad.