Recent content by cogs19

1. C

STOLEN Brand-X MTB - Carlton, Melbourne (VIC)

Wife's bike stolen last night... Bike: Brand-X Frankenstein build Colour: Matte Black Date it was stolen: 31 March 21 Where it was stolen: Carlton Specs: It's a unique bike because I built it up with old parts I had lying around. Brand-X MTB frame (size s) in matte black Rockshox Fork (Gold or...
  2. C

Cheap HT frame options

I built one of these up 2 or 3 years ago with parts I already had. I remember needing to get IS Frame Or Fork To Post Caliper Brake Mount adaptors, something like this I think -...
  3. C

Sram GXP Crankset issue (bottom bracket related)

I rode today without the spacer and my cranks felt so much smoother and more free. I’m now sure the spacer was added in error by the shop that built the bike up.
  4. C

Maybe wavy washers aren’t required for threaded BBs? Anyway, thanks for the reply, gives me the confidence to ditch the spacer.
  5. C

Yep, that's what I read too when doing the research. It's just hard to see whether the gap is small enough for the wavy washer to be effective without the spacer. Or perhaps the spacer is too wide not to crush the bearings. I'm resigned to losing the spacer and will just load up on grease to...
  6. C

The wavy washer comes with the bottom bracket not the cranks (spacer too). I have a spare wavy washer if you're desperate to be part of the team - I will post it to you.
  7. C

I recently replaced the GXP press fit bottom bracket on my Pivot Mach 429 Trail. I just checked it today and it is already cactus on the drive-side - notchy and barely rotating. I've ridden the bike about 4 times since the change. The replacement went well and there were no signs of any issues...
  8. C

Douche Listing of the Day - Post them here.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/hardtail-mountain-bikes/focus/whistler-3-6/108559859?variant_id=9558219
  9. C

DT Swiss special grease substitute

I don't reckon I would go out of my way to buy it anyway, but even if I did it is not exactly easy to come by at the moment. Does anybody service their star ratchet and if so do they use the dedicated grease or is there a suitable substitute? I have a tub of Sram butter so basically I'm hoping...
  10. C

Fitting a dropper

I fitted a shimano press fit a few months back and had to knock it out again cos I made an error (or I thought I did, long story). Anyway, it came out fairly easily without any damage and I was able to reuse it. The key is to have the right tool. I used one of these...
  11. C

Bottom bracket shell filled with water

Thanks for the responses. I've pressed in the new BB. I plan to remove the bottle cage bolt on the bottom of the downtube after cleaning and whenever else I remember to help drain it. The lowest bolt hole is only an inch or so above the bb shell so I reckon I can clear all the water this way if...
  12. C

Bottom bracket shell filled with water

As the thread title suggests I just knocked out press fit bb in my Pivot Mach 429 Trail (the older model) and water literally gushed out when the first shell came out! Has anyone experienced this before?? On other bikes I have there are drainage holes to prevent water catching here but not on...
  13. C

Fidlock Twist Bottle and Bike Mount

I've had one for 6 months - Pivot Mach 429 Trail (older version) doesn't have much clearance so this was my choice after some trial and error with some smaller bottles in a conventional bottle cage. I think the fidlock is great. I've only had it come loose once - riding on Buller trail so it...
  14. C

Bargain buys thread

I ordered a helmet at the start of the year. It took over a month to arrive despite initial advice that it'd be no more than a couple of weeks. Tracking was crap. Correspondence was sketchy at first but they eventually gave me some decent understanding of what was happening. I saved some money...
  15. C

La Larr Ba Gauwa Park, Harcourt. Any info??

I did the same on the same track. Curious to know if it was same spot. I went over while going down a steep little left-hand switchback. It was ultra slow-mo.