What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Stop it. I don't have $600 buck's for the Little Sender's bike
The kid has a cobbled together set of dual air Reba-lations.
Even a cheap air fork would be better than the stock heavy coil sprung "kids" forks.
Make it $900 and you’ll have a nice fork and a dropper for him!
Eldest has a dropper too, hehe. I originally gave him a really old external Funn updown, but his legs grew so I put on a brandx external. It's a bit harder for him to actuate, but he gets more drop now.
@Jpez I need to keep some advantage up my sleeve!
Concrete in the tyres. That'll slow him down!

(Beautiful photos, by the way)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
View attachment 406168
Kid: I'm going to ride down those stairs.
Dad: I'll tow you in.
Mum: I'll take photos.

Rode with the family and some friends at Black Hill.

Eldest son romped it down some blue trails, and the local junior DH track "Mini Muddies". I really had to try to keep up with him. The proper air forks I put on his bike have been a game changer to his confidence and ability.

That is some excellent send on the stairs!

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Oh, I know this feeling. Rock gouge on lyriks.

You going to do the nail polish repair trick?
well.. already damaged forks and shins, so now damaging myself with Shiraz :D
These are only Rhythms... so no tears :) (also locked em out, so no damage to seals)

wondering what is the best glue to use? should be fillable as not too deep..
In a previous life I would have used "M-bond 600" (epoxy phenolic for strain gauges etc), but it costs much more than stanchions..

what nail polish to use? UV cure? cellulose? doesn't matter? superglue?

Labcanary

These are only Rhythms... so no tears :) (also locked em out, so no damage to seals)

In a previous life I would have used "M-bond 600" (epoxy phenolic for strain gauges etc), but it costs much more than stanchions..

Sorry mate, I have NFI about nail polish! I grabbed the cheapest thing from big W. GMBN did a vid about repairing forks with nail polish and I gave it a go. So far it's working well, though the forks I repaired are on hubby's bike and he doesn't ride as often as me.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I've never used one but you can buy dedicated repair kits.

Labcanary

@oldcorollas the main thing is to get rid of any burrs to avoid seal and bushings damage. But you already thought of that by locking them out.
I wasn't so lucky as I found the rock damage possibly months after the fact. I was wondering why there was oil weeping out onto the seals... The rock had obviously lodged between stanchion and fork arch as there was matching paint chips.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
ouch.. stuck rock doesn't sound nice :(

I suspect the Sendhit is a fancy epoxy, but can't find an SDS for it.

and seriously, if you know anyone at a university doing TEM work, and has access to this stuff, it is amazing and will repair cracks in the apocalypse!
spendy at $500/100mls tho ;) https://micro-measurements.com/pca/detail/mbond-600-kit (is a high temp epoxy-phenolic generally used for strain gauges)

Have used superglue for moto forks with poor results before but....
Will source a few different nail substances and do some sciency tests

hmm, those "uv cure TV shopping" ype glues would probably acutally work quite well...
(I may also be well-overthinkinging it.. and stanchion is not that critical anway, except for burrs?)

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You going to do the nail polish repair trick?

I might need some instructions...turns out drunk poodle crashed his bike riding home from the work Christmas party and micro scratched the stanchion. I strong reminder of the stupidity of riding home drunk.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
I might need some instructions...turns out drunk poodle crashed his bike riding home from the work Christmas party and micro scratched the stanchion. I strong reminder of the stupidity of riding home drunk.
just remember those snow banks on side of road are NOT soft..... solid ice.... (BUT, riding home on ice and snow is so fun!)

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The pbj is looking fresh @Ultra Lord !
I’m pretty happy. Nice little freshen up for the old girl, it’s officially the bike I’ve owned the longest now. Which is funny cause historically speaking dj and bmx frames are the things I’ve broken the most.

Edit: also Tmacs are a great pedal. I’ve sworn by vaults for flats but these are also good and my LBS has a pair on the shelf. After 7 years my vaults finally gave up the ghost yesterday, one too many rock strikes and too many broken pin holes.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I've never used one but you can buy dedicated repair kits.

It’s just epoxy. Waste of money. I’ve used nail polish and epoxy with good results.
first experience was a first ride out Lyric. almost cried.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
just remember those snow banks on side of road are NOT soft..... solid ice.... (BUT, riding home on ice and snow is so fun!)

Worse than ice...guard rails hide in those things! Caught myself out before, see post re shochu.

I’m pretty happy. Nice little freshen up for the old girl, it’s officially the bike I’ve owned the longest now. Which is funny cause historically speaking dj and bmx frames are the things I’ve broken the most.

Edit: also Tmacs are a great pedal. I’ve sworn by vaults for flats but these are also good and my LBS has a pair on the shelf. After 7 years my vaults finally gave up the ghost yesterday, one too many rock strikes and too many broken pin holes.

Very nice. I live in hope of finding some more black spire nylotrax...sob sniffle. I grabbed a set of manitou circus early last year for a build that hasn't happened. I keep looking at them wanting to get to it, but still nice frame. The time will come. That pbj must be strong!