BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Another good thing about having a trade, not stuck on a 38h a week fixed contract/wage. A tradie can work as long and hard as they want, doing 80+hrs a week are normal for some.

New bike, Jetski, interest rates are up, holiday, new Ranger... couple of Sat'dees will sort that out.
Speak for yourself, I've been a tradesman (note I didn't say tradie. Fkn hate that term) for 20yrs and I've been smashing out comfortable 38-40hr weeks the whole time.

80+hrs?

I'd rather pour a jug of boiling water in my ear hole.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Speak for yourself, I've been a tradesman (note I didn't say tradie. Fkn hate that term) for 20yrs and I've been smashing out comfortable 38-40hr weeks the whole time.

80+hrs?

I'd rather pour a jug of boiling water in my ear hole.
Many times I've done 80+ to get ahead.

Not in long time though. I don't do OT anymore.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Ok, so back to bike racks. What is the go with vertical racks and the 60% rule? Seems like everyone is running them, but the police have very different interpretations of what makes up the 60%.
Pretty much anything over a 2 bike horizontal fouls on most vehicles - I know of a Yaris, a Canter, and a Sprinter that fall in line using a vertical (seat posts dropped). This is being worked on. Numerous officers have stated if it looks right they won’t question it - this isn’t a guarantee, there is one officer in north QLD that makes it his mission to ticket for any rack over 2 (horizontal or vertical) on the back of a vehicle.

takai

Eats Squid
Pretty much anything over a 2 bike horizontal fouls on most vehicles - I know of a Yaris, a Canter, and a Sprinter that fall in line using a vertical (seat posts dropped). This is being worked on. Numerous officers have stated if it looks right they won’t question it - this isn’t a guarantee, there is one officer in north QLD that makes it his mission to ticket for any rack over 2 (horizontal or vertical) on the back of a vehicle.
Yeah, its always such a grey area. Just pisses me off when you see people sail on by with an Outback and a Thule 4 flat rack, and then someone with a vertical rack gets pinged. Makes me very uncertain about using any rack at all.

Same goes for the interpretation of the overhang rule on camper trailers, with some police interpreting drawbar mounted boxes as part of the cargo carrying area, and others not.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The legislation is very clear but makes no allowance for the loads involved and that is why some enforcement is lenient. It is an entirely different issue have two bikes past the legal length when the total drawbar load is perhaps 100kg and throwing 300kg at the legal length. If I mount two bikes on my isi rack on the Prado then the bars of the last bike are past the 60% rule. Stupid. When we carry our kayaks on the roof I can easy comply with the 60% overhang but the kayaks are very nose up. Extend the overhang by 300mm and it is all good. Load is under 35kg on a roof allowed to have 100kg dynamic load on road. so far I havent been troubled even carrying the kayaks on my box trailer, which is ok at the rear but fails on the front overhang!

ADRs need looking at with respect to loads and not just lengths but that is a long way down the list of shit being considered and will never happen.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Ah the cheeky Lonsdale-Street-Roasters-I'll-just-be-two-minutes parking spot.
Gold Star young man...to be fair the driver in the Caddy had just got in and was doing lord knows what but he was taking his sweet time about it.

I was parked up here significantly longer last trip though

Looking at those pics I think the vertical rack sits further back than the Thule tbh.

Last edited: