Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It's a big yeah nah from me I remember seeing this pic earlier. Do agree with @frenchman on either a wider range group set which will give @johnny a better riding experience (able to climb the fire trail up the back of Stromlo more times in a ride) or some coaching. The coaching I have had in Canberra was a bit average I didn't pay much for it so being realistic that's probably the reason. Or a new Mara pro for the back which would be much better than the RS on there at the moment.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just did the taxes last night, might be able to stretch to a CC double barrel yet ;)

Interested in the responses around modding the forks. I have two basic riding characteristics that might be worth considering here:
  • I set my suspension pretty firm. I don't ignore travel and I like it when it's required. But I've had my suspension set over the last 10 years so firm that I've never bottomed out and I'm around 100kgs - neither do I often take the B-lines on drops, so it's not that the bike isn't given the chance to blow through the travel. I climb a fair bit and rode nothing but HTs for about 8-9 years before getting the Trek Remedy in 2013/14
  • I have the approach to riding where I often set the bike up and then adjust my riding around the settings, rather than the other way about. This may not be the best approach, but with some of the smaller adjustments we make, I struggle to tell the difference when I'm really into it on the bike. So I'm not sure how much value modding things is really going to provide. Put it this way, I've never used tokens/spacers in my forks. I just play with the compression and rebound settings so it feels about right, and I ride.
But, with regard to that second point, I can tell that my riding, somewhat due to confidence but definitely due to having great kit, has improved since going out on the Hyrax. So maybe I should consider experimenting more with the bike.

When it comes to modding the forks, what would people actually suggest and what are the outcomes that I'd experience?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
@johnny I’d start with setting up as per the Rockshox guide incl tokens to get a base setting, then moving onto something like a vorsprung luftkape if you find it’s diving in the mid stroke.
Yaw probably riding a lot faster now and combined with newer Suspension that has improved dramatically over the last 10years, if you’re running it similar to how your old trek was setup it won’t be setup anywhere near as good as it could be.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just did the taxes last night, might be able to stretch to a CC double barrel yet ;)

Interested in the responses around modding the forks. I have two basic riding characteristics that might be worth considering here:
  • I set my suspension pretty firm. I don't ignore travel and I like it when it's required. But I've had my suspension set over the last 10 years so firm that I've never bottomed out and I'm around 100kgs - neither do I often take the B-lines on drops, so it's not that the bike isn't given the chance to blow through the travel. I climb a fair bit and rode nothing but HTs for about 8-9 years before getting the Trek Remedy in 2013/14
  • I have the approach to riding where I often set the bike up and then adjust my riding around the settings, rather than the other way about. This may not be the best approach, but with some of the smaller adjustments we make, I struggle to tell the difference when I'm really into it on the bike. So I'm not sure how much value modding things is really going to provide. Put it this way, I've never used tokens/spacers in my forks. I just play with the compression and rebound settings so it feels about right, and I ride.
But, with regard to that second point, I can tell that my riding, somewhat due to confidence but definitely due to having great kit, has improved since going out on the Hyrax. So maybe I should consider experimenting more with the bike.

When it comes to modding the forks, what would people actually suggest and what are the outcomes that I'd experience?
I can share my experience with the Lyrik and adding the Push HC97 damper to it.
The high and low speed compression actually does something to the fork. Previously, I found the dials offered very little change to how the bike rode.

The damper upgrade makes it incredibly supportive across the midstroke as well as resistant to bottom out.
The fork is very plush, active yet composed.

$$$ but very much worth it. 107kgs set to ride by the way so it's being tested.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
You won't often hear this from me but if nothing on your bike is annoying you then don't change anything. Keep your $$ and stop internetting.
Who are you and what have you done to @kten

The only answer is buy and Mezzer and be done with it. Will never be bored with the number of dials and pressures you can fiddle with.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You won't often hear this from me but if nothing on your bike is annoying you then don't change anything. Keep your $$ and stop internetting.
Some people simply don't deserve the internet :oops:

*The rear shock is actually annoying me a bit. It's really quite a simple shock and I've never really understood why they went with this one OEM on a frame like this. Now I've got a few more funtix than I thought I did, I'm pretty sure that I'll be looking for a CC double barrel air for the rear. However, I'm pretty intrigued by some of the thinking around the forks as well. They're a great piece of kit, but I agree with @The Reverend that the adjustments are pretty mild in terms of the difference they make in performance.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I chucked in some money with the lads on a Shockwiz. My forks have two dials. My shock has one. I don't know what the Shockwiz can tell me but I think it's my turn to try it. Did I waste my money? At least until I get a new bike?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I chucked in some money with the lads on a Shockwiz. My forks have two dials. My shock has one. I don't know what the Shockwiz can tell me but I think it's my turn to try it. Did I waste my money? At least until I get a new bike?
If you want to rent it out for a few beers I would love to try one.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Some people simply don't deserve the internet :oops:

*The rear shock is actually annoying me a bit. It's really quite a simple shock and I've never really understood why they went with this one OEM on a frame like this. Now I've got a few more funtix than I thought I did, I'm pretty sure that I'll be looking for a CC double barrel air for the rear. However, I'm pretty intrigued by some of the thinking around the forks as well. They're a great piece of kit, but I agree with @The Reverend that the adjustments are pretty mild in terms of the difference they make in performance.
Ok all bets are off.

Get yourself an Ohlins TTX air and be done with it.

Well, nearly. Now get a Mezzer.