The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Agreed it isn't a great measure but
It's a great measure, just not for what you're tying to say.

Economic diversity is great and all, but if it costs more taxes to achieve (eg continually subsidising auto manufacturers so that we can have cars made here when overseas manufacturers can export them to us cheaper) it's not going to matter. We'll vote the party out that's costing us more to live because some cunts want to feel good about driving a Holden instead of a KIA.

I don't know that we're squandering either. Some opportunities are more viable that others at given points in time economically. We have large resource extraction and transport infrastructure. It makes sense to utilise it to its full potential rather than gambling money into untested opportunities. Exporting solar is probably the next big thing and private is where investment is coming from for all the cool shit anyway.

Last edited:

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m not smart enuff to know shit about stuff .
But I’m disenfranchised enough to know even with dodgy man maths gifting a grant to of $4.5 million dollars to a company that employs 8 people .
Well something stinks .
And that’s just this week , let alone Rheem - off shoring after the grant ….
How can this hiding in plain sight work so well, dodgy fucks is all I got .

And the media has the hide to ask , “ what’s yore problem , brah “

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It's a great measure, just not for what you're tying to say.

Economic diversity is great and all, but if it costs more taxes to achieve (eg continually subsidising auto manufacturers so that we can have cars made here when overseas manufacturers can export them to us cheaper) it's not going to matter. We'll vote the party out that's costing us more to live because some cunts want to feel good about driving a Holden instead of a KIA.

I don't know that we're squandering either. Some opportunities are more viable that others at given points in time economically. We have large resource extraction and transport infrastructure. It makes sense to utilise it to its full potential rather than gambling money into untested opportunities. Exporting solar is probably the next big thing and private is where investment is coming from for all the cool shit anyway.
So did Taiwan become the world leader in computer chip manufacturing with just private investment or was there a concerted effort and lots of money from the government to get there?

I'm not saying not to use what we have I'm just saying we don't plan for the future. Solar is a good example, we educated the head of the world's largest solar manufacturer. We can't complete with volume manufacturing but we could with the cutting edge if we invested and prioritised it. Israel is a good example of a country that has developed a strong technology industry due to government prioritisation.

I'm confused as to why there is resistance to diversifying our economy to make it more resilient.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So did Taiwan become the world leader in computer chip manufacturing with just private investment or was there a concerted effort and lots of money from the government to get there?

I'm not saying not to use what we have I'm just saying we don't plan for the future. Solar is a good example, we educated the head of the world's largest solar manufacturer. We can't complete with volume manufacturing but we could with the cutting edge if we invested and prioritised it. Israel is a good example of a country that has developed a strong technology industry due to government prioritisation.

I'm confused as to why there is resistance to diversifying our economy to make it more resilient.
We're talking Bout Australia not Taiwan. And I don't think there is resistance in diversifying, just an economic factor is what's best low risk bang for buck.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
In what I would call typical Australian short sightedness.
Maybe. Or not. Safe bet or a gamble. We dont need to gamble. We're not shooting for number 1.

Edit - I'm happy to be living in first world country with arguably low levels of bullshit compared to other places. Could it be better, like Norway or some other Scandinavian progressive country? Yep. Do I care to pay more for it? Only if my wages increase in lockstep with the cost of living to pay for it all (unlikley). So here we are lol.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Edit - I'm happy to be living in first world country with arguably low levels of bullshit compared to other places. Could it be better, like Norway or some other Scandinavian progressive country? Yep. Do I care to pay more for it? Only if my wages increase in lockstep with the cost of living to pay for it all (unlikley). So here we are lol.
Lol. You definitely don't need more wages to make Australia better for everyone and to ease your cost of living pressures. In fact I'd wager you need them less than me, and I don't need them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Alternatively...we could just let capitalism solve it. The quest for more is self deception.

Speaking of capitalism solving life - inflation through the roof and interest a out first rate hike on a long time both have a direct impact on the cost of living with no real improvement in the standard of living or equitable wages growth. So I guess we don't need to improve our standard of living to get those cost increases.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Lol. You definitely don't need more wages to make Australia better for everyone and to ease your cost of living pressures. In fact I'd wager you need them less than me, and I don't need them.
Agreed. Trickle down economics is a sham.

You only need to look at the USA to see where things go with very little safety net for low income earners. Society as a whole suffers from crime, appalling health outcomes and reduced productivity.

I'd gladly pay a bit more tax for better services and opportunities for those less well off than me.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Two people standing 2m from me while I have a quiet coffee. They are heatedly arguing politics while waiting for takeaways. Me: excuse me? Them: yes? Me: please fuck off.
A fellow sat near on the train. He had music playing into his ears at a volume I couldn't hear but he also had drum sticks and was pattering away on his legs. I have him the look, he removed an ear piece, could you please stop drumming? It's only soft. I find the constant taptaptaptaptap very annoying. You can barely hear it though. Yes I can hear it and it is really fucking annoying.

He kindly stopped, but decided to elaborately air drum for a little while. This I could ignore. Then he got bored and stopped.

I imagined moving closer to him and furiously clicking my pen.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If only we’d been able to prove some of the dodgy shit they pulled (“What do you mean that engine only has one of those $100,000 housings? We’ve allowed for three of them on your tender application…”) while shutting down some of the workshop departments at Tullamarine (before then making ~400 people redundant, effectively closing the base to “streamline” their maintenance to their Brisbane base, which then “couldn’t cope with the extra demand” and had to outsource to overseas… allegedly). Slippery as an eel those fuckers and deserve every fine they get.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
why is no one wigging out over the 0.25 interest rate rise? Every other platform is
I don’t really know if it will be a meaningful change in my life. Hopefully it takes some heat out of the market.

But it does make me even more angry with council fucking me around for two years on my subdivision, wanted them sold and gone ages ago….