The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I think that's only part of it. I feel that a lot of the appeal of Trump, Hanson, Bolsanaro, le Pen, etc. is that they are not from the political mainstream (or that's at least how they've remodeled themselves). People are losing faith in mainstream democratic leaders, largely because of the bullshit we get from them, like not introducing an ICAC, having parties during lockdown, trading shares with insider info whilst in office, taking money from secret donors, etc.

People want authenticity and leadership, and next to the self-serving narcissists we get, these right wingers and populists look more authentic, so people support them as a pressure release for their frustrations. They allow them their failings - such as racism, protectionism, sexism, etc. - because they feel they know what they're getting instead of being sold lies and spin.

A dissatisfied and divided demos is fertile ground for populists and people selling relief.
Yes, but people also want a popular/ist leader who legitimises their nasty narrow stupid view of the world because it’s less work than learning anything…

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Also it's early days on the poll and most around here like fair over money in their political leanings based on my reading of much of this thread. But Shooters & Fishers beating Libs is interesting to say the least...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think we also need to acknowledge the Australian people's role in these policy decisions. If the ALP believed the people didn't support the policy then they would have opposed it and used it against the LNP. Unfortunately they believed, and correctly I suspect, that people didn't care enough to risk the potential fall out.

The reality we live in is that the 1 or 2% of us that actually give a shit and educate ourselves on these matters will always be overwhelmed by the 98% that don't give a shit or are just too stupid.
I'm not sure that's correct though. IT's not necessarily that the people support it, it's that it can be used against them through the usual demagoguery - ramping up the threat rhetoric and making the other side look weak. ALP are always scared of being called on national security (I don't really understand that reputation, but people believe it). So the ALP always run from any threat of 'looking weak'.

IT can also be that the people that care about it are in swing seats (back then it was western Sydney they were aiming at), with the other elctorates maybe caring, but voting on other issues. We have to be careful about holding holier-than-thou, elitist attitudes. Other people have other priorities and we don't necessarily know what they are. There are always trade offs and comprimises, no single party will ever embody everything that we prioritise.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'm not sure that's correct though. IT's not necessarily that the people support it, it's that it can be used against them through the usual demagoguery - ramping up the threat rhetoric and making the other side look weak. ALP are always scared of being called on national security (I don't really understand that reputation, but people believe it). So the ALP always run from any threat of 'looking weak'.

IT can also be that the people that care about it are in swing seats (back then it was western Sydney they were aiming at), with the other elctorates maybe caring, but voting on other issues. We have to be careful about holding holier-than-thou, elitist attitudes. Other people have other priorities and we don't necessarily know what they are. There are always trade offs and comprimises, no single party will ever embody everything that we prioritise.
Yes this is a lovely statement that bears a lot of truth but... Having lived in North Queensland, Northern WA, Tasmania and the southern states of the USA I have a reasonable grasp of the shear level of hatred and racism out there. Most of these people and groups don't realise just how they are being used but also don't really give a shit when someone tries to help them.

A good example is the video of Adam Brandt above, if that was any of the numerous right wing parties it would be a viral video all over Facebook etc by now. We have strong left parties but the Australian people have never supported them. You know which parties are gaining support.

@johnny you have faith in people which I am loosing which is to be commended. I do wonder though if it's like your friends story of staying and fighting or leaving with your family. Once I was a stay and fight person but now it's just land that's not worth fighting over, my priorities have changed.

moorey

call me Mia
When did populism become a dirty word? We really need to be freed from the tyranny of big corporations.
I think the issue is that politicians confuse populism with pandering/pork barreling. And only talk about what’s good for the people either in the lead up to an election or in opposition. My2c.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
#ScrotuMo lies in the face of known facts. He is an absolute cockroach. The only federal ICAC HE wanted, was one with no power to punish him and his LNP minions.
#ScrotuMo
#LNPfail
#LNPcorruptionParty
#AFUMA
(another f**king Useless morrison announcement)