Russia Vs. America; Here we go again kids!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
In Russia, being called a nazi is one of the worst insults. It's no surprise the language is being used to froth people up
Thanks. I skimmed that earlier today, but it does have a few interesting points.

This was confusing as hell.

But then this other part at least gives some historical context.

All it takes is some tiny grain of truth they can twist into propaganda I guess.
That's how propaganda works. As does most other misinformation. Russia are pros at it.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy

Along similar lines to the Chinese fellow mentioned earlier, it all comes down to the narrative they've been fed.
Since when did we start removing people for having the wrong information or stating a contrary view? I'm conflicted about this. Does the question he asked reach the limits of our (informal) free speech rights in Australia?

Is responding to this sort of rhetoric worse than shutting it out? I'm genuinely on the fence. Making certain topics taboo has its own problems. But also, not all points of view are equally valid or deserve equal (or any) airtime.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
i didnt hear the question the guy asked in the clip i saw. Any idea? I got the gist of it, but i cant comment on whether it was out of line or if it was just a genuine, thought out opposing position

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
He got booted because the host (on reflection) decided he couldn't have someone participate who was actively advocating for the current hostilities. Audience member basically said Ukraine deserved it because of their aggression in their breakaway areas of Donetsk and Luhansk .

Freediver

I can go full Karen
He got booted because the host (on reflection) decided he couldn't have someone participate who was actively advocating for the current hostilities. Audience member basically said Ukraine deserved it because of their aggression in their breakaway areas of Donetsk and Luhansk .
Also said Ukraine were Nazis as well as some untrue stats.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Since when did we start removing people for having the wrong information or stating a contrary view?
It's been done before. Nazis, racists, homophobes all should be booted IMHO, Russian sympathisers are all three. The guy can fuck off out of Australia if that's how he wants to be, obviously Putin has made him love the motherland so he can go on back there if it's so great.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Along similar lines to the Chinese fellow mentioned earlier, it all comes down to the narrative they've been fed.
This. Don't underestimate the level misinformation fed from a young age in Russia. My workplace has a Russian born and raised translator who is a lesbian. Not exactly Putin's favourite cohort of humanity let's just say. Yet up until recently when asked she was quite openly approving of Putin as a leader as she considered that he'd managed to restore Russia to relevance :rolleyes:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
What's a bit surprising is Russia has now admitted they've had 500 casualties. Surely there would be some Russians questioning how simple military exercises are racking up approx. 70 KIA per day.