Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, talk me out of one of these.

Likes;
Price
Front/rear parking sensors
Not much chrome
$350 per service (some additional costs depending on how hard it’s used)

dislikes;
Middle rear seatbelt is lap only (wtf, it’s 2021)
Not a great deal of aftermarket parts
Parent company needs to find a buyer otherwise warranty might be up the ass.

Need a way to transport 4-5 people in comfort with bikes n gear long distance (thredbo and up the coast etc), be able do shuttling in, but only needs light off road abilities (fire roads). I think one of these fits the bill.
Cannon looks a bit too chunky for my liking and I’d like to avoid Chinese if possible, and the LDV t60 sounds a bit unrefined for long haul road use. All the other ‘normal’ options are so friggin expensive, ya gotta spend $58k to get front parking sensors standard on a BT50.....:rolleyes:

Wish some main player would release a proper SUV based Ute, that new Hyundai looks perfect, pity it ain’t coming to Australia any time soon though.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

View attachment 378416

Likes;
Price
Not much chrome

dislikes;

Need a way to transport 4-5 people in comfort with bikes n gear long distance (thredbo and up the coast etc), be able do shuttling in, but only needs light off road abilities (fire roads). I think one of these fits the bill.
Cannon looks a bit too chunky for my liking and I’d like to avoid Chinese if possible, and the LDV t60 sounds a bit unrefined for long haul road use. All the other ‘normal’ options are so friggin expensive, ya gotta spend $58k to get front parking sensors standard on a BT50.....:rolleyes:

Wish some main player would release a proper SUV based Ute, that new Hyundai looks perfect, pity it ain’t coming to Australia any time soon though.
Not going to try as they are a reasonable deal for the coin. I was looking seriously at one.

However, SsangYong's financial difficulties are a significant wrinkle and the fact that Mahindra has basically washed their hands of it to some nutjob in the US is unhelpful...which kind of undermines the seven year warranty.

Have now given up until new Triton/Navara turns up plus Hyundai have a body on frame ute coming. Otherwise, proper truck or a van is on the cards.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious

View attachment 378416

Likes;
Price
Not much chrome

dislikes;

looks like the bastard child of a Merc ute and a hilux....Do it, looks the goods!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Sounds like you're already sold on it. The GWM Cannon has been great so far but if you don't want Chinese then the Musso or a used Japanese ute are your only options.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Droid48 is a good HP emulator if you're looking for an RPN calculator.
I've got a HP50g for work and love it. Never having to use brackets in an equation is nice.
Yeah I use a HP50G at work too, great calculator

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

View attachment 378416

Likes;
Price
Not much chrome

dislikes;

Secondhand Volkswagon Caddy TDI250.

More efficient. Can take a Hayman Reese tow hitch for a vertical rack. Proper german engineering.

A Skoda Yeti would be the better option if you need more offroad ability.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 378416

Likes;
Price
Not much chrome

dislikes;

I reckon it looks good and with the price of second hand cars these days it seems like great value.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Secondhand Volkswagon Caddy TDI250.

More efficient. Can take a Hayman Reese tow hitch for a vertical rack. Proper german engineering.

A Skoda Yeti would be the better option if you need more offroad ability.

My partner has a Caddy that we setup for MTB trips, great for two and secure bike storage is a win. We cut the cargo cage so the rear wheels slot in and put axle mounts in. It’s a tidy setup, but only good for 2. I’ll check out the Skoda yeti :)

I just saw some Mazda BT50s XTRs pop up for $45k, that’s getting better price to spec wise, might test drive one :)

Oddjob

My partner has a Caddy that we setup for MTB trips, great for two and secure bike storage is a win. We cut the cargo cage so the rear wheels slot in and put axle mounts in. It’s a tidy setup, but only good for 2. I’ll check out the Skoda yeti :)

I just saw some Mazda BT50s XTRs pop up for $45k, that’s getting better price to spec wise, might test drive one :)
There's a people mover version of the Caddy which can seat 7 from memory.

Oddjob

Subaru Outback…? If the goal is moving humans, not sure a commercial based thing is ideal…
The XV has better ground clearance and approach angles. Also has parking sensors and reverse camera in most models.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The XV has better ground clearance and approach angles. Also has parking sensors and reverse camera in most models.

XV has a tiny boot though. Forester would be a better option

Any ute based vehicle will not be comfortable for more than 4 adults. I’d look at any road based SUV if fire trails are the worst you’ll be driving on. Kluger, Sorrento, Sportage, Santa Fe, Palisade, CX-8, CX-9, X-Trail, Forrester.

Skoda Yeti are a nice mobile and can do limited off-road stuff but limited luggage space also. They are much smaller than those listed above and wouldn’t fit more than 4 adults comfortably. Owned one for 8 years, PM me B Rabbit if you want more info.