Project Mulleting!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've built a couple of bikes up as mullets.

The first was my nicolai g16, originally had 27.5 wheels but got mullet curious as it's the best of both worlds and many people on mtbr ran this combination. Only thing I did when swapping over was reduce the travel on the fork by 10mm to bring the a2c down by 10mm. I much preferred this setup to 27.5.

The second was a v3 spitty. Got a good deal on the frame but couldn't go back to a 27.5 front wheel after experiencing the bigger wheel up front. So mulleted it also, I never ran this as a full 27.5 so can't compare. Also I sold it shortly after building it as I rode an ebike and was converted.

I'd say go for it. If you have a fork that you can adjust travel without a new air spring you can experiment a little to find the sweet spot.

New build I'm on the fence between full 29 or mullet again. Probably go mullet, I'm not racing and in it for fun with lots of jumps.

I really like how playful the mullet setup is and it suits my regular trails perfectly.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
When you mulleted the Nicolai, did you end up putting on a longer stem?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you mulleted the Nicolai, did you end up putting on a longer stem?
Nah that thing was a monster truck, reach was not an issue. Kept a 35mm stem.

I'd just do it with what you have and see how it feels before purchasing more stuff.

I've just bought a new 27.5 frame to replace the g16 and intend to build it as a mullet.

DMan

Nah that thing was a monster truck, reach was not an issue. Kept a 35mm stem.

I'd just do it with what you have and see how it feels before purchasing more stuff.

I've just bought a new 27.5 frame to replace the g16 and intend to build it as a mullet.

Yep that's my plan. Going to run a 140mm in front over the current 150mm so will use the present bar setup and see how it goes first. Did you notice the increased BB height? From my calculations it should only be about 5mm. Can't see it will be that dramatic

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep that's my plan. Going to run a 140mm in front over the current 150mm so will use the present bar setup and see how it goes first. Did you notice the increased BB height? From my calculations it should only be about 5mm. Can't see it will be that dramatic
Nah I didn't notice it.

DMan

Play forks have arrived. Now, I know they had Kashima issues so I'm not worried. The seals look fine. The area where the kashima has come off is smooth but "lumpy". Should I take to it with some 1200 (or higher) Wet/Dry and smooth the area off?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Play forks have arrived. Now, I know they had Kashima issues so I'm not worried. The seals look fine. The area where the kashima has come off is smooth but "lumpy". Should I take to it with some 1200 (or higher) Wet/Dry and smooth the area off?
View attachment 376374
Da'fuq happened to that? Left it on roof-racks and rove it through a sandstorm at highway speeds? o_O

If it was mine, if all is smooth I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Fork won't spend much time in that part of the travel, just ses how it goes and if it pushes air/oil past the seals over time.

DMan

Da'fuq happened to that? Left it on roof-racks and rove it through a sandstorm at highway speeds? o_O

If it was mine, if all is smooth I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Fork won't spend much time in that part of the travel, just ses how it goes and if it pushes air/oil past the seals over time.
Weird eh? Even the previous owner isn't sure. They've been serviced but you'd expect there to be wear low on the stanchion, not normal high in the travel like this if it was a lack of servicing issue?
Either way i'll take your advice and see how it goes. Plan is for a new CSU if I like the fork.

slowmick

38-39"
Maybe they put something in the CSU to stop creaking that the kashima was eaten away by...

or they had something in front of it on a roof mounted rack and it was beaten to death...

Jpez

Down on the left!
Maybe they put something in the CSU to stop creaking that the kashima was eaten away by...

or they had something in front of it on a roof mounted rack and it was beaten to death...
That’s what I was thinking. Definitely looks like something has dribbled out of the csu. My bet is they thought Dot fluid was good for that.

DMan

That’s what I was thinking. Definitely looks like something has dribbled out of the csu. My bet is they thought Dot fluid was good for that.
Haha. I never thought of creaking!

DMan

Done. Running 20mm higher ground to crown because the factory 34 140 29er is pretty much the same axle to crown as the rhythm 34 150 27.5 that I took off. So probably 1 degree slacker now at 65.5. Bar height is the same as I had 20mm of spacers to play with. Feels good test riding around the yard so far so I haven't changed seat height or saddle position

Attachments