Project Mulleting!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Thinking of trying the coolaid. Presently the front is 150 27.5 fox34. I'm thinking about 140 29er DVO Sapphire (as it's more adjustable and from reviews more supple/ sensitive and in my budget secondhand). Presently 66 degrees so that will slacken to about 65 which is still reasonable for a 'trail bike'? BB will raise 10mm? I have 25mm of spacers now under the stem so overall bar height will remain the same. Any negatives I should be contemplating?

DMan

Slacker seat angle? If that's your jam.
That too. I was wondering if any fellow mulleters thought the negative climbing and flat terrain bobbing of their bike after mulleting made it not worth while

DMan

I want first hand experience people! I understand for a DH bike it can be better but what about a trail bike that has to climb AND descend?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I want first hand experience people! I understand for a DH bike it can be better but what about a trail bike that has to climb AND descend?
Yes. But depends...

What don't you like about your current bike that you want to change? What do you mostly do? Then people might be able to tell you if it's going to improve our not.

DMan

Yes. But depends...

What don't you like about your current bike that you want to change? What do you mostly do? Then people might be able to tell you if it's going to improve our not.
Hmmm. I've come from my last 2 bikes being 29ers to a 27.5. I'm enjoying the 'playfullness' of it but definitely notice a change in front end stability and it's ability to roll over rough terrain. Got me thinking about mulleting. But the articles I've read, although they talk about the negative aspects in respect to climbing and flat terrain, are more about DHing. I wont be able to offset my shock as it's a Trunnion so am wondering if the changes to geometry will be too extreme I guess.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If you're only raising the front end 10mm, shouldn't be too detrimental, unless you were on the edge of what you didn't like already...

DMan

If you're only raising the front end 10mm, shouldn't be too detrimental, unless you were on the edge of what you didn't like already...
True. I've raised forks by 20mm before and didn't find tge climbing that much more difficult. Not sure about the rear end and understeering though.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Front would raise more than 10mm. There'll be about 18mm extra height from the increase in wheel radius, plus the increased axle-to-crown.

You've got plenty of spacers under the stem currentlyto remove, and a not unreasonably long stem to swap to, so cockpit fit shouldn't be an issue. Do tou think the change in BB height will bother you?

And how is the rear end going to effect understeering?

DMan

Front would raise more than 10mm. There'll be about 18mm extra height from the increase in wheel radius, plus the increased axle-to-crown.

You've got plenty of spacers under the stem currentlyto remove, and a not unreasonably long stem to swap to, so cockpit fit shouldn't be an issue. Do tou think the change in BB height will bother you?

And how is the rear end going to effect understeering?
Opps, I mean oversteering sorry. Apparently mullets like to drift but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not sure but a little extra clearance wouldn't be a bad thing.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got to admit I'm wondering why you'd do this on a trail bike unless it's just tinkering for fun. The mullet, from what I can glean, seems to have come about to help us short arses be able to get some benefits of the 29er up front but without the tyre reaming our freckles out on the gnarlier stuff.

DMan

I've got to admit I'm wondering why you'd do this on a trail bike unless it's just tinkering for fun. The mullet, from what I can glean, seems to have come about to help us short arses be able to get some benefits of the 29er up front but without the tyre reaming our freckles out on the gnarlier stuff.
Even that will be good! I'm hoping for the 29er up front benefits. Bought the fork so I shall see. Or the fork will be up for sale here in a couple of weeks...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Not into hardtails. Been there and my back doesn't like it anymore. Fork is on it's so I'll know first hand soon.
I was posting because he converted his bike to a mullet, I thought maybe he'd mention some differences.

cammas

Seamstress
I have done it before what you really need is a bike that can take more travel in the front than the the rear to offset the axle height difference. Something say 130 rear travel that can take a 150mm fork, you then run a 130mm 29er fork this way it offsets the approximate 20mm axle height difference but stays within reason of what the bike can do also need to consider the A to C measurement of the fork you are using. The other thing is to have a steep seat angle to start with as it does slacken out a fair bit, as the bike I used was not steep enough and climbing was lacking but descending was awesome:p wiped a heap of my pb’s at the Youies on it but I like to get up to get down so ended up scrapping the project.