Project Mulleting!!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
To be clear if @DMan wants to Mullet - do it dude - ride what you want - how you want - when you want - I am all for why not! - Just get tired of people spouting marketing bullshit like it will actually make a difference for them at all.
Absolutely this, remember:

The reviewer, whoever the fuck they are, will ride differently to you on different terrain. They may even have 'skills'.
Reviewers are likely biassed by sponsorship, subscription or other monetary incentive.
Marketing was invented so people with no useful skills could say they were employed.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
The number of people that post (not here) if a particular frame supports x or y because they're not game enough to just try..

They want to see that it's backed in the same way a frame or fork might say 650b+ or 29. To most it's obvious it supports both but they want to see it written for peace of mind.

I don't for one second think it's a must have or that it will make me a better rider, only practice will do that!

moorey

call me Mia
The number of people that post (not here) if a particular frame supports x or y because they're not game enough to just try..

They want to see that it's backed in the same way a frame or fork might say 650b+ or 29. To most it's obvious it supports both but they want to see it written for peace of mind.

I don't for one second think it's a must have or that it will make me a better rider, only practice will do that!
Correct…and hence your money is better saved or spent on other things in your case.
I think you’ve said ‘saving for a new fork’ about 200 times…and that wasn’t a 29” fork/wheel/tyre I don’t believe?
Do what you want, go nuts.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Mulleting has been around ever since I can remember on motorcross bikes and when you look at DH racing there's been some parallels following the same designs in the past. People riding at elite levels are chasing seconds, but what works for one rider may not work for others. If enough people want it, bike companies will produce it, just like the short stems and 1X drive lines. In the end you get forced buying what ever is being pumped out by factories whether you personally like it or not.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you choose to ride something with different sized wheels at each end and it was designed that way then it will be OK. Mostly*. Since the geo is tweaked for that combo. If you chuck different size wheels on a frame designed to run the same size front and rear you are probably fucking with something to cure a problem that doesn't exist or making shit up as you go to justify what you have done.

By all means see if it works, try different crank lengths side to side and run a fixie with front derailleur, I am off to put a front wheel on the back of my penny farthing. Stupid fucking baby wheel on there now.

* some factory designs are just shit anyway.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you choose to ride something with different sized wheels at each end and it was designed that way then it will be OK. Mostly*. Since the geo is tweaked for that combo. If you chuck different size wheels on a frame designed to run the same size front and rear you are probably fucking with something to cure a problem that doesn't exist or making shit up as you go to justify what you have done.
Ive been trying a mullet configuration on a bike not designed for it and agree with you - you need to look at the geo and work out if the stock config can handle it. After trying it, the geo was good (chose a short A2C fork which was key IMO). The mullet ride is a little nuanced compared to same wheel size though...overall Im going to keep it on as the traction was better and also CBF lol. The compromises were pretty small, and minimal because geo was hardly impacted

moorey

call me Mia
Ive been trying a mullet configuration on a bike not designed for it and agree with you - you need to look at the geo and work out if the stock config can handle it. After trying it, the geo was good (chose a short A2C fork which was key IMO). The mullet ride is a little nuanced compared to same wheel size though...overall Im going to keep it on as the traction was better and also CBF lol. The compromises were pretty small, and minimal because geo was hardly impacted
CBF…..I see what you did there…

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

By all means see if it works, try different crank lengths side to side and run a fixie with front derailleur, I am off to put a front wheel on the back of my penny farthing. Stupid fucking baby wheel on there now.

* some factory designs are just shit anyway.
Should I run different crank lengths???? Am I missing out on something?

DMan

I'd like to report I'm impressed. Rode home trails I regularly ride. Definitely better rollover and stability on the downs. There is a slight sacrifice to be made with climbing. You can feel effect of having a 27.5 rear wheel. Doesn't quite track/rollover like the front while climbing but I can live with it. Just got to get the bar height right now.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd like to report I'm impressed. Rode home trails I regularly ride. Definitely better rollover and stability on the downs. There is a slight sacrifice to be made with climbing. You can feel effect of having a 27.5 rear wheel. Doesn't quite track/rollover like the front while climbing but I can live with it. Just got to get the bar height right now.
I've heard a lot of people say it makes the bike feel more planted.

DMan

What about the shralping? I need shralping feedback!
After googling it I sadly don't think I'm hardcore enough to be a schralper. Bombing I can do as I just shut my eyes at the top.