What do your kids ride?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going through the bits boxes in the garage and realisensome sruff the kids have well outgrown. If anyone wants a trailgator or a 2 seat trailer you can have free for pickup in sydney. And a 16" huffy if you want a bike to tow.

Trailgarltor is an arm that clamps an attachment from your seatpost to the kods headtube. Tow them to the park, unclip and they can ride their own bike.

Trailer is an older cheap on that attaches to a hook on the rear axle. Havent put kids in it for years but use it to take picnic chairs to movie nights and stuff.

Tomorrow to sort all the parts from projects never started on bikes i no longer own.

Last edited:

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Got a 20" Polygon Relic for the 6yr old which arrived on Friday. He was keen as mustard to get out and start hucking to flat with it and has taken to it real quick. Overall it's a nice looking bike too & he loves it. Mech discs offer plenty of stopping power for him & the reach is good, so that's a win in my book.

With his 16" now available, his younger brother (a bit over 2 1/2) wanted to give pedals a crack. Slammed the seat post and took some time out from work on Friday to see what he could do. Little bugger took about 10min to figure out how pedals work and he was off. Next ride was a 2km run for me keeping pace with him along the bikeway, because while he can ride no probem he's not quite tall enough to stop & put his feet down.

I thought I'd have more time for him to grow a bit while he worked it out. Turns out I was very wrong.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Eldest has been ready for a 24" for a while, and I've been researching and procrastinating for a while longer than that.

Saw the new nukeproof cub scouts come out the other day, and debated it in my head overnight. Saw they were down to 2 in stock the next day and so pulled the trigger. With three boys under 10 I'm dividing the cost three ways in my head...

Finally shipped a day or two ago. Haven't even told no.1 son yet. PYR when it gets built up.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Kiddo has been on his Meta HT 24 for a few months now, seems to be getting the hang of it...
Really sweet bike, he's a lucky kid.
I have now officially been relegated to the side-lines, water bottle carrier and mechanic.

Still got him up a hill though so take that!

rstim

Likes Dirt
Any one interested in this Prevelo Alpha2 16” freewheel/NOT coaster brake bike before I go to the horrors of marketplace? View attachment 373658
Worth buying and putting in the shed for anyone who has young ones even if it's too big at the moment. Can't buy a 16 inch with a freewheel in Aus anymore and they are so much better for the young ones to learn on.
Goodluck with the sale.

Jpez

Down on the left!
So since kids have this selfish habit of growing taller I’ve had to upgrade my girls bike. Again.. Was a 16” Prevelo. It was a great first pedal bike and she learnt a lot on it

So looked around as as much as I wanted a Commencal Ramones 20” it’s just too much bike for for my 6 year old girl so settled on this 2021 Polygon 20”. I considered going straight to a 24” but think it might have been a tad too big so I’m resigned to the fact I’ll have to keep upgrading. But that’s half the fun right!
For what you get it presents much better value than the big name bikes like Trek, specialized etc which were heavier and not as well specced. And didn’t want or need a heavy fork or disc brakes yet.

Cant wait for it to arrive later in the week!

ausdb

Being who he is
Looks a lot like a trek superfly 20, my son got one when he turned 6 and it was a great bike. First project dump the most likely freewheel and pop in a cassette hub and put some of your hand me downs on it!

Jpez

Down on the left!
What are peoples thoughts on upgrading the clunky twist shift that came on my kids bike to a trigger shifter. Is it a no brainer? The grip shifter if really stiff so to my mind it makes sense to change it out for a simple trigger shifter but no idea if kids find them easy to master or not compared to a grip shift.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Looks a lot like a trek superfly 20, my son got one when he turned 6 and it was a great bike. First project dump the most likely freewheel and pop in a cassette hub and put some of your hand me downs on it!
You’re right! I’ve got a Sram xo1 12 speed cassette, some Chromag Dagga pedals with extra long 16mm grub screws and a spare set of EEwings cranks I’m dying to put on! :D