work/trades...what do you do for a crust?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I always wanted to be a film director (and still do though the dream is fading and I'm doing nothing about it). I've written a novel that's not been published, did breakfast radio and then drive radio on a community station for 7 years, worked as a freelance music journo for a while, made a few short films that were not very good and entered and won a few amateur stand up comedy gigs (don't ask me to say something funny - the fact that I never followed that path should be proof enough I'm not funny).
Having a sneaky trawl through this thread last night and @yuley95 it looks like you've got a few strings on your bow there. How'd you find radio? Why'd you stop? (I did a bit too). What's the unpublished novel about?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Having a sneaky trawl through this thread last night and @yuley95 it looks like you've got a few strings on your bow there. How'd you find radio? Why'd you stop? (I did a bit too). What's the unpublished novel about?
Wow - that is a dig. All that stuff is probably just proof that I tried a lot of things I'm not very good at.

I really enjoyed radio. Loved the 'live' aspect of it and just playing music I love. Doing live broadcasts from festivals and live interviews was always fun. Had to be on your toes. It was 3PBS in Melbourne so just community radio but a good station. Stopped because I had done my time and had a kid etc, etc... Where did you do yours?

I won't wank on about the novel. It was just a bit of a character study on the various driving forces in our lives. It got progressively absurd as it progressed which was fun to write.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Wow - that is a dig. All that stuff is probably just proof that I tried a lot of things I'm not very good at.

I really enjoyed radio. Loved the 'live' aspect of it and just playing music I love. Doing live broadcasts from festivals and live interviews was always fun. Had to be on your toes. It was 3PBS in Melbourne so just community radio but a good station. Stopped because I had done my time and had a kid etc, etc... Where did you do yours?

I won't wank on about the novel. It was just a bit of a character study on the various driving forces in our lives. It got progressively absurd as it progressed which was fun to write.
What show on PBS?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I did too. I was on Fresh 92.7 in Adelaide for a couple of years. Did the morning news slot on Mondays and hosted episodes of the Chatroom (think talkback for 20 something stoners) on Wednesdays.

I loved the news reporting. Up at 4am to research and write new scripts then live every half an hour until 9am. We were given heaps of editorial control over what was reported as long as we did a good job with it. As not much happens in Adelaide I tended to focus on national / international stuff. I was working as a fledgling political journo at the time and as that expanded and I got a gig as a political advisor I had to give it away. Sad times.

The Chatroom was interesting. Any topic involving booze, sex or drugs got us inundated with calls. I worked with a variety of co-hosts and never met a greater number of people whose ego was inversely proportionate to their talent. Rated the shit out of themselves but couldn't hold interesting banter without reverting back to talking about themselves within 10 seconds. The ones who were good though were heaps of fun to work with, getting positive sms's and calls when you'd done a pretty good show was awesome.

Also learnt never to underestimate the reach and value of community radio. From a personal perspective it pretty much set up my career.

moorey

call me Mia
I did too. I was on Fresh 92.7 in Adelaide for a couple of years. Did the morning news slot on Mondays and hosted episodes of the Chatroom (think talkback for 20 something stoners) on Wednesdays.

I loved the news reporting. Up at 4am to research and write new scripts then live every half an hour until 9am. We were given heaps of editorial control over what was reported as long as we did a good job with it. As not much happens in Adelaide I tended to focus on national / international stuff. I was working as a fledgling political journo at the time and as that expanded and I got a gig as a political advisor I had to give it away. Sad times.

The Chatroom was interesting. Any topic involving booze, sex or drugs got us inundated with calls. I worked with a variety of co-hosts and never met a greater number of people whose ego was inversely proportionate to their talent. Rated the shit out of themselves but couldn't hold interesting banter without reverting back to talking about themselves within 10 seconds. The ones who were good though were heaps of fun to work with, getting positive sms's and calls when you'd done a pretty good show was awesome.

Also learnt never to underestimate the reach and value of community radio. From a personal perspective it pretty much set up my career.
Nice. I hosted a couple of music shows (one local independent music and one international punk) for years on a small community radio station...anyone who has heard me speak will be scratching their heads at this point.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Nice. I hosted a couple of music shows (one local independent music and one international punk) for years on a small community radio station...anyone who has heard me speak will be scratching their heads at this point.
You really should have fronted a band and used the station's resources in best way possible.

All for ratings, of course.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm just an over paid administrator that's absolutely sick of the bullshit. All I do is stare at emails and spreadsheets. On site 5% of the time. This is how middle management burn out and leave
Now, now. The world has run out of important things to do. Just make sure your backups are run and go home early.

Don't do anything risky on Friday afternoon either. Words to live by.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I'm just an over paid administrator that's absolutely sick of the bullshit. All I do is stare at emails and spreadsheets. On site 5% of the time. This is how middle management burn out and leave
y not just go to upper management?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Now, now. The world has run out of important things to do. Just make sure your backups are run and go home early.

Don't do anything risky on Friday afternoon either. Words to live by.
Friday... the day when my constantly overworked tired brain stop functioning properly and constantly lull over riding techy sketchy single tracks in the weekend.

I'm training to be a fully fledged scientists - doing a doctorate degree. Not making any coins atm (funding runs out but I haven't finished) and hence can categorised as unemployed in some ways.

yuley95

What show on PBS?
Friday morning breakfast for about 3 years then did 3 and a half years on a show called The Drive Thru on Thursday arvo (5-7pm) then helped out on breakfast a couple of days a week with a co-host. I think it was Wednesday and Thursday morning I did - for about 6 months. All this was from roughly 2003 til 2010 from memory.

yuley95

It's a great experience isn't it. Most people at Peebs were pretty cool. All total music nerds. I couldn't hang with any of them in terms of deep knowledge of single genres so my shows were a bit more general.

It was always a surprise how broad our reach was. I could be sitting in the studio some mornings and its dark outside and just a few people kicking around the office and you feel like you're talking to no one. Then I would announce a give-away of gig tickets or whatever and suddenly every single phone line lights up. Or you interview a cool artist and get inundated with calls/comments which is nice.

I fell in love with PBS when I started volunteering there and one of my first tasks was to edit the announcer code of conduct. When I got to the section about acceptable on-air language, it simply said 'under no circumstance is an announcer to say 'cunt' on air. That was it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Friday morning breakfast for about 3 years then did 3 and a half years on a show called The Drive Thru on Thursday arvo (5-7pm) then helped out on breakfast a couple of days a week with a co-host. I think it was Wednesday and Thursday morning I did - for about 6 months. All this was from roughly 2003 til 2010 from memory.
That is one hell of a long breakfast.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I started in general IT and moved to making websites websites in 1995, and for the last few years have run a team of 10 at CSIRO that makes, maintains and supports them. We launched a new version of the main one a couple of weeks ago, pretty happy with it.