2018 World Cup discussion

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
What a great result, there's not many top level sports out there that keep kicking goals with so many first time winners. We're so lucky to see it and for those of us still racing, we're so lucky to do our bit too.
I'm actually starting to get sick of people saying "He's great on the pedals! He'll blitz the bottom section!!". It's now irrelevant to me and is just a commentator's thing. Yeah yeah, the chain snapping makes you lose time but that isn't my point; its the guys that they keep saying are big time on the pedals then everytime the split comes up for the pedal section they are slower!
Claudio fucking shits me. It could be the language barrier but he is so condescending of the riders and talks most guys down. He needs to start calling stuff as it appears and not act like he knows the secrets of the world and belittling people.
Kye's win is awesome!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Completely agree, so with a track that long and decent time to be made (or lost) on the last section shouldn't the race strategy "for the love of dog be nice to the chain" come in to play.
Gwin smashed a chain on the first couple of strokes straight out of the gate in 15 for that famous win in Leogang, his mechanic that was fairly new to him at the time, shit his pants because he thought his career was over. They interviewed Gwin and he said that's the first chain that he's broken on a downhill bike but he blamed himself when asked if they were changing drive trains. I suppose you're not going to bag sponsors at a pro level and they contribute to help you buy a McLaren sports cars.

We have seen a lot of breakages in the last few years but what it's really from only a fly on the wall will ever know, riders mashing gears off the start lines, inferior light weight chains or chains that aren't replaced or fitted correctly. Anyway, it must be very disappointing for all the preparation and effort that goes into teams like that for everyone involved and have something simple fail on race day.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

I'm still disappointed that punctures, broken chains and failing components are all still so commonplace in a race run these days.
I was really looking forward to Luca's run, and few other runs there for that matter, just to have something almost entirely preventable blow that out of the water.
There aren't many starters on the new plan; Dak Norton (snapped chain), Luca Shaw (Flat Tyre), Greg Williamson (Rear Brake Failure), etc. etc. etc.
Both Angel and Luca were sub 1:00 on the first split.

Anyway, nothing's gonna change anytime soon. But it still sucks that the failure rate is so high.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
In any other kind of professional motor racing class the parts and materials are generally a step (or two) above what the average punter/consumer has access to. With mtb racing aside from some custom suspension tweaks (linkages, tunes etc.) the pros seem to be basically using what is available to Average Joe.

The pros go a lot harder than Joes but are stuck with the same parts like chains, brakes, rims cause Joe ain't wanting to beef up (add weight to) parts just to make sure that Gwin doesn't snap his chain once a year.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Does Gwin run a 7 speed drivetrain?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
For World Cup DH, Saving weight on a chain is frikken stupid. Quick links also. I would want the strongest chain. Slightly stronger tyres/tubes for rough tracks would seem like a good Idea too.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So what’s eveyone’s thought’s on a lot of big wheels being at the pointy end of the field this year? Is it because the bikes are now dialed so the riders are more confident or the actual physical wheelsize does have a marginal rollover gain? The big wheels seemed to skip over the rocky bits smoother..

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So what’s eveyone’s thought’s on a lot of big wheels being at the pointy end of the field this year? Is it because the bikes are now dialed so the riders are more confident or the actual physical wheelsize does have a marginal rollover gain? The big wheels seemed to skip over the rocky bits smoother..
I actually don't even know what guys were riding! I think the Commencal's are 29" yeah? I know Bruni said "Nah, not keen" and I know the Syndicate is 29" but I have no clue on anyone else's sizing. To me that can only mean one thing................it's the rider, not the bike.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually don't even know what guys were riding! I think the Commencal's are 29" yeah? I know Bruni said "Nah, not keen" and I know the Syndicate is 29" but I have no clue on anyone else's sizing. To me that can only mean one thing................it's the rider, not the bike.
Yeah Pierron and Wilson were on 29.. Think in the first round 6 out of the top 10 were on 29. Definitely the rider, Gwin could ride 26 and still win..

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I think saying its rider and not equipment undersells how talented all these buggers are and how hard it is to win. We all know equipement can give you confidence ... And confidence is so fleeting and hard to retain. Sure it's the rider ... But now days, they are all so close and all the tracks are all so well known, that all aspects have to fire to win ... equipment + mental strength + training + track style etc etc. but meh ... Such good racing.

So Pumped for Amaury ... I would love to see film of where Wilson got his time ... Watching that rider graphic and seeing where people were losing time was awesome and mind boggling ... Shame Luca didn't have a clean run, but I reckon he had that new rocky section wired ... Last one .. I'm loving the French right now, I think they all genuinely are pumped to race and see each other win.

Bruni needs to ditch Spez and go to Norco :)

moorey

call me Mia
It’s sometimes a bit about the bike too..or maybe at least to confidence another bike can give you.
We all know Bulldog can ride, but the GT just didn’t suit him. Frew might be in the same camp, dare I suggest. He’s looking more dangerous on the new Commy.

moorey

call me Mia
Really, Pinkbike? An OTB is a mechanical now?
Amaury got his first ever World Cup win, taking the top step by 0.27 seconds. Loris Vergier and Troy Brosnan round out the top three, with Reece Wilson coming in 4th after holding the top spot for much of the day. Aaron Gwin and Luca Shaw both suffered mechanicals. Snapped chains seemed to be a theme of the day. On to Leogang next weekend

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
MY best guess is its due to the relatively straight rocky tracks we have had = 29 being advantageous?

Would like to see a lot more natural, tight and steep tracks and less straight line boring crap... the motor way at Fort William, yawn. Whereas, the EWS footage is amazing!

moorey

call me Mia
Gimme Val De Sole...
(Still love Fort Bill...they just don’t telecast the best bits)

Because Sam.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Would like to see a lot more natural, tight and steep tracks and less straight line boring crap... the motor way at Fort William, yawn. Whereas, the EWS footage is amazing!
As much as I love riding DH and hate pedaling, I'm getting sick of watching WC races like Fort William and Leogang where all we get to see are the easy flat, wide open sections. I understand that it's easier to broadcast, etc, but honestly at this point the EWS footage is more interesting.
It's honestly pretty boring when you already know that the rider coming down can't win from the halfway point because the rest is just flat out fireroad win no real way to make up time.

In saying that, I still love DH racing, I just wish they either picked better tracks, or primarily showed the technical sections.