Confessions from the fuckwits

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Don't know. I think the bike mechanic did it a year or 2 ago- I read they are a bit touchy when it comes to lockring tools. And I've never taken the thing off
I take mine off weekly, you are the victim of a baboon with lockring tool and chain whip

Klips

Likes Dirt
Serious cases of fuckwittery recently. For context, I am shed/dog-sitting for the mate who usually supervises all my mechanical work.
  • Put stans fluid in the tyre before realising that I can't find the air compressor attachment. Futilely try to pump with track pump. Fail
  • Try to bleed the line on the reverb. Fail miserably. Admit defeat and book it in (I don't think it's a bleed issue anyway)
  • Received my XTRs from Geoff Gump (Thanks!). Remove Maguras, forgetting all about the fucked master cylinder and end up covering myself in royal blood. Spent a good half hour trying to get the damn rear brake line to go through the internal hose, until realising that removing the fork makes it a piece of pie. Get cable threaded, fit new olive, drive in the barb (this takes about 15 minutes too) before realising the xtr boot and screw aren't on the line
  • Realise that I don't know if the headset isn't flush any more, or never was
  • Give up on servicing bikes after three failures, despite aiming to do six this weekend

Ivan

Eats Squid
Confessions from the fuck wits

Cranks 1. Me 0

I just spent the last 30 mins trying to get my sram bb30 cranks off. The 8mm long shank Allan key was bending a fair bit with another spanner on the end for leverage, and I still got nowhere.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Cranks 1. Me 0

I just spent the last 30 mins trying to get my sram bb30 cranks off. The 8mm long shank Allan key was bending a fair bit with another spanner on the end for leverage, and I still got nowhere.
You dont know crank removal troubles until you try take off raceface cranks that have been in place for a period of years.....

I resorted to a few meters of scaff pipe to assist.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cranks 1. Me 0

For the tough ones I have a few special moves...

- flip bike. Allenken in one hand, opposite crank in the other. All body weight over it and push down as hard as I can. Keep sustained pressure. Watch your face on the chain ring! If it all gives you may get ugly.

- big long piece of pipe.

- flip bike. 1 foot in against the bottom of the head tube. Allen key (or pipe etc if needed) the other way. Pull rather than push. Use you other leg to hold the crank still.

- similar things with the help of a buddy. Each pulling against the other.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
For real-pain-in-the-arse cranks, remove pedal (assuming it's not stuck in too!), slip pipe over crank & position so it rests on the floor, completely stopping crank from moving. Allen key with another bit of pipe (preferably an allen key that is rigid & not springy), stand (or jump, I've done that before!) on extended allen key & that generally does the trick.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get home Wednesday night and decide that gloves and halos are a bit smelly so put in for a soak. up early to hit the trails on sunday, now where the F@#K are my gloves?

moorey

call me Mia
Thinks he's buying a well priced shadow +.
image.jpg
Doesn't look closely, makes offer in haste, thinks that's a gold clutch switch. Gets an overpriced shadow. YES, XT has grey clutch...and it's not located there :doh:

stirk

Burner
I removed rear derailleur to give it a good clean as it's been a few months since a proper clean, not just a nana wash.

Put it back on aligning the mech on the hanger incorrectly and wondered why it would not shift into the lowest gears, inspect and correct, doh!

moorey

call me Mia
I have some chromo dj cranks and a couple of rings that came in a box Ideate donated. No bb, but yours if you want them, fuckwit.