People trying to convert us to various alternative lifestyles

I eat meat analogues every now and then.. just because sometimes i find it tastier than real meat! But that stuff ain't exactly cheap. I haven't had many people try to 'convert' me (maybe they realise it's a lost cause), but i've had some give me bad looks for simply choosing/eating meat in front of them. Same deal with some Christians.. bad looks for laughing at some jokes that crop up in movies or for enjoying the humour of some comedians. This, i don't mind so much -- as long as they're not shoving it down my throat. They can see me as scum and I can see them as loons, no real hate.. at least from my end. Perhaps they're too polite to unfriend me even if I'm going to hell and murdering cows.

What annoys me most are those who expect people to cater for them. I've been to a party where two large separate batches were made, one veg and one non-veg friendly. Just so the vegetarian person didn't feel left out, people were expected to eat from both, even if just a bit. Veg friendly batch tasted rubbish.

“They are the vegan at the dinner table of Life. People who come to your house and say, “I’m hungry!” And you try to feed them and they say, “I’m vegan.” And you go “Fuck it, here’s a torch, go to the garden see what you can find okay? Leave me alone!” - Dylan Moran

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
OP - I would be unhappy in that situation and agree I would expect something more conventional, if someone or a few people are vegan it is not hard to go to two places. The minority needs to accommodate, they should have gotten separate meals, it really should have been discussed prior to going. Buying vegan is obviously something that needs to be discussed as its not for everyone and majority of people wouldn't be vegan. If I walked into a store to buy vegan I would naturally know there would be some unhappy people and would check with them before doing that. I'm sure the OP is not against vegetables but would have liked a source of meat with his meal, reality is that taste and what we eat is important but equally nutritionally there isn't anything vegan that can match meats. vegans need to mix foods to get a complete protein with all amino acids for most meals and the protein tends to be fairly lower from my understanding. A steak will give you a tonne of nutrients and source of high quality complete protein. Although Id probably put up with it as its food, If I don't hate it ill eat it.
I'm pretty sure nobody is going to suffer nutritionally from eating one evening meal that doesn't contain any meat.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I eat meat analogues every now and then.. just because sometimes i find it tastier than real meat! But that stuff ain't exactly cheap. I haven't had many people try to 'convert' me (maybe they realise it's a lost cause), but i've had some give me bad looks for simply choosing/eating meat in front of them. Same deal with some Christians.. bad looks for laughing at some jokes that crop up in movies or for enjoying the humour of some comedians. This, i don't mind so much -- as long as they're not shoving it down my throat. They can see me as scum and I can see them as loons, no real hate.. at least from my end. Perhaps they're too polite to unfriend me even if I'm going to hell and murdering cows.

What annoys me most are those who expect people to cater for them. I've been to a party where two large separate batches were made, one veg and one non-veg friendly. Just so the vegetarian person didn't feel left out, people were expected to eat from both, even if just a bit. Veg friendly batch tasted rubbish.

“They are the vegan at the dinner table of Life. People who come to your house and say, “I’m hungry!” And you try to feed them and they say, “I’m vegan.” And you go “Fuck it, here’s a torch, go to the garden see what you can find okay? Leave me alone!” - Dylan Moran
Would you object to your friend stopping someone from kicking a dog as you both walked past? Would you complain he hadn't kept pace with you? It's eating meat, it's a bit of a c*nt act no matter how much it may pr may not trouble you. Because someone chooses to go without it, don't you think you're more offensive to them than vica versa. It's a fucking small planet, and we're over crowding it at a very rapid rate. Time to get a lot more tolerable to having to make sacrifices for others.
Life's good if you can be arsed complaining on missing meat for one meal.
To the OP, if the person who went to get food couldn't wouldn't buy meat, they should've not put their hand up for the job seeing how sensitive people are to it. However, if they were not given the choice, and were told to go get it, it's not really their fault.

Last edited:

downhillar

Likes Dirt
The last time someone served me tofu I took her bunny rabbit out of its cage, bit its head off and drank its blood. Before that I had been vegetarian for 7 years but it was the principle of the thing - she didn't know I was vegetarian and just assumed I was happy to eat tofu. After that she never returned any of my calls or texts... chicks huh...

toodles

Wheel size expert
I've seen how both meat and its substitutes are processed/manufactured. If anyone gets on their high horse about either I just laugh now. Either farm your own diet or shut the hell up about how your food is "better" than someone else's.

rone

Eats Squid
I can cope with peoples strange dietary habits. I can even tolerate people crapping on about politics and to a lesser extent, religion. What really shits me is people who try to insist I would be better off riding a road bike.

moorey

call me Mia
I've seen how both meat and its substitutes are processed/manufactured. If anyone gets on their high horse about either I just laugh now. Either farm your own diet or shut the hell up about how your food is "better" than someone else's.
Nice straw man, Mate. Noone from either side is claiming "better".

Staunch

Eats Squid
I once asked a Vegan about why they chose to change their diet to such an extreme which led to a conversation on the topic. In the end I was told I was in the wrong by eating meat as 'eating meat in un-natural and our bodies were never meant to do it'.
After that I pretty much got up and left knowing that there was no hope in trying to have a reasonable discussion on the topic.

I'm not saying all Vegans are like that but wow, coming from someone who I assumed was a reasonable intelligent person I was a bit surprised. I can understand it coming from a moral standpoint (even if I don't agree at all) but when it's for ignorant reasons like that, well, that's I find it pretty ridiculous.

moorey

call me Mia
nutritionally there isn't anything vegan that can match meats........

If someone chooses to eat vegan than its there choice and up to them, I would find it unusual if a vegan didn't serve or provide meat if the food was for someone else. It is obviously their decision to eat that food and while we should to respect their choice they should also respect our choice....……

Some people are vegan not based on the animal principal but their body performs and feels better on that style of diet, many people go on gluten free diets even if they don't need to be on them, some people just work better with different diets..........

I was surprised to read the users kids who eat some dairy based products to fit in at parties? I couldn't imagine someone been considered unusual for not eating dairy or meat........
Doing this on my phone, so apologies for bad C'n'P, but I'll address a couple of points.

Speaking only for myself, I aren't trying to match regults of an omnivore diet, but I certainly don't lack anything by having a sensible vegan diet. Plenty of elite athletes out there have shown this. Btw, I take NO supplements of any kind, and am as fit ad an ox. Turned 41 yesterday, vegan for 15 years. I'm far from as fit as I'd like to be, but at the end of our 3 hr Sunday xc, I'm champing at the bit to keep going while the rest collapse for a coffee (no one in the group is very serious, btw, but I certainly aren't lagging)

We provide milk and other basics for guests, but when we entertain, we cook vegan, the guests always know what they are in for, and ALWAYS enjoy the meal and leave surprised that it was actually vegan. Most of our friends we go to eat with are regular vego eaters, have a vego in the family, or have experience in cooking veggie, but if we are going somewhere where we know it's a problem or a chore, we bring our own. It's never an issue.

Vegan, and to a lesser extent, vego's DO get funny reactions from a lot of people. They take it as an attack or criticism on their choices usually. They often expend a lot of energy trying to catch you out. " are those shoes leather? What do you put in your coffee? It's not possible to have a pizza without cheese. Don't plants feel pain and suffering too!" etc... I have been abused and accused of neglecting and abusing my children, btw, lol. For the record, my 6yo son regularly podiums in his xc races.

When they go to parties, they choose to, and we are fully happy for them to eat the egg and dairy party food (that was my post earlier), but I wouldn't want them to eat meat, and they have never shown an interest. We never try to brainwash them, and when they ask why we don't eat animal products at home, we just say that it's a choice we have made, not that it's right or wrong. What they choose to do when they start cooking their own meals is up to them, and they know it. Parties are a fun time, parents don't need the hassle of preparing special meals, or they simply won't invite people that will make more work for them. 9/10 times, my kids will head for the fruit platter before the cake, just because they enjoy fruit. My 6yo has a better developed palate than virtually any adult I know. I asked him what he wanted for afternoon tea today. He asked for some Turkish bread with dips, olives, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Cracks me up.

Oh, and btw, I was raised a full on hunting, fishing, killing and roasting machine on a farm. I know that the odds of both my kids staying vegan is remote, and I couldn't care less as long as they are happy.

That is all for now.

moorey

call me Mia
I once asked a Vegan about why they chose to change their diet to such an extreme which led to a conversation on the topic. In the end I was told I was in the wrong by eating meat as 'eating meat in un-natural and our bodies were never meant to do it'.
After that I pretty much got up and left knowing that there was no hope in trying to have a reasonable discussion on the topic.

I'm not saying all Vegans are like that but wow, coming from someone who I assumed was a reasonable intelligent person I was a bit surprised. I can understand it coming from a moral standpoint (even if I don't agree at all) but when it's for ignorant reasons like that, well, that's I find it pretty ridiculous.
Doesn't sound like you asked a question, So much as asking a rhetorical question. Sounds like they overreacted, but I think your choice of words (extreme) didn't help.
That said they sound like a douche, but you probably sounded like one to them also ;)

converge11

Likes Dirt
the thing i dont get is, if we're not meant to eat animals, why do they taste so damn good! even my vegan pal admitted he misses chicken so much, but he wont eat it cause its wrong....oh well more chicken for me!

Staunch

Eats Squid
Doesn't sound like you asked a question, So much as asking a rhetorical question. Sounds like they overreacted, but I think your choice of words (extreme) didn't help.
That said they sound like a douche, but you probably sounded like one to them also ;)
Fair enough point, I can understand what you mean but I was actually genuinely interested at first after they told me they had changed their diet as I knew they used to eat meat.
You're right though, it may have come across the wrong way which led a defensive stance on their behalf.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Moorey
I didn't quote as it was a big post.
I fully agree with you, when I said match meats it was more a pound for pound type of analogy, I think vegan diets take more knowledge of what you are putting in your body and if you know how to use the foods right you won't be lacking.
Unfortunately some people go vegan or vegetarian without knowing how to make up these nutrional gaps.
If you understand the diet like I said in my original post you can create a well rounded diet. If someone can get all their requirements then it's all good. After watching Aaron gwins 243questions he notes he is on a gluten free diet. I hope my original post was not taken as a attack but it was more to state that, if your diet works and you understand it then a vegan diet is no dissadvantage more so it can be a advantage for some people.

Bottom line if a diet works for you, be it vegan or veg, gluten free etc stick with it.
Diet is a personal choice and either way I don't think someone should be convinced or pushed into a particular diet, while stating the facts of benefits of particular diets is fine, forcing foods or diets is another situation.
In regards to people coming and knowing what they are getting that's fine. If we know we are going to be eating vegan and choose to go you can't expect them to serve meat, though in regards to the op's issue the idea or expectation was not vegan which was the issue I believe. More so it was clearly a communication issue. Not that eating vegan once off will do harm more so it will probably do good to have a meal without meats and full of saturated fat.

Again this is just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as anything more.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
the thing i dont get is, if we're not meant to eat animals, why do they taste so damn good! even my vegan pal admitted he misses chicken so much, but he wont eat it cause its wrong....oh well more chicken for me!
Personally, I don't claim we weren't meant to (yes, some do), and even fairy sto, err, I mean bible stories, can justify either side. There are pros to eating meat, but there are are cons, and no, I'm not going there, but feel free.
Me, I just chose not to, because it feels right for me. I'm too old to justify my choices or care about yours.

moorey

call me Mia
Driftking, never took your post as an attack, and hope my reply didn't come off as one. Was just a personal reflection and rebuttal :)

driftking

Wheel size expert
Driftking, never took your post as an attack, and hope my reply didn't come off as one. Was just a personal reflection and rebuttal :)
No not at all, I was just making sure there was no offense anywhere in there.
It's interesting to hear points of view on this subject.
Out of curiosity what's the deal with veg vs vegan while I understand the concept but would be interested to here a vegans view on the "free range" and no antibiotic or steroid ways of growth. While eating chicken etc is still the same principal of killing the chicken what's the general idea behind by products like cheeses eggs etc of these free. Range style foods?

Just interested to here the other sides point of view on them. I personally like the idea due to two reasons. 1. While free range is a bit misguided as thy are not entirely free it is still better for the animal and 2. Free range animals tend to be leaner contain more protien and are generally healthier...