Obscore/Rare/Dream DH Bikes ?

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that Lahar a soft tail? Trouble with soft tail designs like that is that you cant control the direction of the flex ie. side to side as well as up and down. Just like this stupid old Ibis bow ti. I know its not a dh bike.... Pimp as hell ti frame but you can hold the bike between your legs and twist the front end almost 30 degrees in each direction.

http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/pyrosis02/959093

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Is that Lahar a soft tail? Trouble with soft tail designs like that is that you cant control the direction of the flex ie. side to side as well as up and down. Just like this stupid old Ibis bow ti. I know its not a dh bike.... Pimp as hell ti frame but you can hold the bike between your legs and twist the front end almost 30 degrees in each direction.

I rode one of those Lahars for a few hours, and from memory it was fairly stiff. The area behind the BB was massive, same with the stays.
You can control the side to side at the axle quite well, by having wide stays, they're stiff sideways. But yes, a triangulated design obviously has bennefits design wise. As you can control the wheels from twisting better. But it's not comparable to the Ti Ibis you mentioned or how it flexed, as you can obviously see where the Ti frame would flex through the whole frame. The Lahars mainframe I'd say would be as stiff as any bike of it's weight, and as stiff as most ally DH bikes mainframes.
Some cool old bangers coming out here.
What are the quick release levers I see at the tiop of the bushIdo forks Elvis? Scary. Or is it a shifter?

Last edited:

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt

Yup, official name was the Lahar Softtail 3.0, and it was specced with 3" of rear travel - purely from carbon flex.

Lahar has now folded, so I guess that's a fair indication of the interest their products were getting. Pity, they had some innovative designs.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Yup, official name was the Lahar Softtail 3.0, and it was specced with 3" of rear travel - purely from carbon flex.

Lahar has now folded, so I guess that's a fair indication of the interest their products were getting. Pity, they had some innovative designs.
Ah, or management. Go jump on ridemonkey for a read.

there was no lack of demand thats for sure!

then certain attempts at launching another brand..Tim had fun with that too.

heavyp

You heard it here first
NO NO NO! haha so far off! 99 as i said he raced this 99/00 maybe late 99 but he and eric carter rode them.

bellsy

Likes Dirt
I didnt mean was that model GT available to the public recenty.I used to have that model DHi, so I know when they were made :) I meant was that exact example in the pic for sale recently. I swear I remember someone advertising the Steve Peat Worlds bike for sale a year or 2 ago.

RMB

Likes Dirt
Would love to get my hands on an RM7 with legacy parts on it. I've been keeping an eye out for ages for one to come along.

Wouldn't mind a late 90's M1 with Xverts either. I've been getting a real itch for some classic DH bikes
I've got three of them!!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I had a thing for the old Ellsworth Dare

The 2006 proto with the gearbox was ugly as sin, anyone get a pedal on one?

Attachments

Last edited: