z5 warranty

k......i just snapped the rightside drop-out off my z5 (like 5min ago...just outside my house)

it came on my p.3...which i bought 11months and 3weeks ago........

specialized gave a 1 year warranty
so did marzocchi....

not sure how much my lbs will know about these issues.....

can anyone give me some advice (i'm thinking rik, j5ive, etc. who work in bikeshops)..........
i was doing a tiny (it really was like 30cm high) hip jump......

should i go for the specialized or the marzocchi warranty???

just general advice about warranty on z5s or marzocchi is what i'm after i spose

cheers

gavin

wombat

Lives in a hole
It should be done through zocchi themselves (Groupe Sportif over here). Just go down to your LBS, explain what's happened, the TRUTH, don't say JRA, they won't believe you, and get them to get in contact with groupe.

Rik

logged out
Be honest, as wombat said (damn he's quick this lad). If the fork has had a history of abuse, it'll probably be obvious, so they'll spot from a mile off if you're lying or not.

So the fork just cracked straight through the dropout, was it under side force? It doesn't sound too good, so you hopefully will get warranty, take it into a shop (preferably the ones you bought it from) and make sure you've got documentation to prove its age, and in a few weeks you should (hopefully) be back on the bike.

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
but before you do that lets swap my broken stanchion assembly for your good one then you can say they both broke at once and we both get repaired forks :D

(above = joke, not serious suggestion)

cheers guys

i told them what happened

i was going over a little hip jump and landed with a bit too much sideways pressure (obviously) on the fork and snap......
the fork didn't have a history of abuse i used it for "aggressive trail riding," bit of downhill, bit of djing, bit of street, bit of park........hell it was very multi purpose.......but it had never taken and crashes or cases or anything......

i took it in to the lbs that i bought it from (all new...fork came on the bike) today and they'll send it of to zocchi (yeah...groupe sportif) and we'll wait and see........it's meant to have a 1 year warranty and it's under the year.....so........

once again
cheers

btw...anyone have any idea....if it is warrantied....what will happen.....new z5, new legs, new fork other than z5 (coz i'm not sure if they'll have any around coz it's a 2001 fork)??????????

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Sounds like a good chance to upgrade. Anyways all has been outlined above. So not much left to say, other than get some 20mm forks and keep going big! If I rember rightly those p3's used to come with 8" front right? May have played a part... Its an 02 model right?

yeah it was meant to come with an 8inch but it came with a 6inch.....dunno why...specialized may have seen the problem coming and swapped them by the time i got mine (end of season)......so they gave me a better price coz it was only 6inch not 8 as advertised....

problem with upgrading is that if the claim is accepted zocchi will probably just send out a similar fork or whatever......i won't get the chance to upgrade.....and if i wanna just sell the fork they give me and upgrade fork and hub (for 20mm) it'll cost a fair bit coz as soon as u walk out of the store a product loses like 30-50%resale value.......
not that i won't think about it! i'm thinking sherman flicks......i can get a fairly good price on them at a shop here in melbourne.....
how much do u reckon i'd be up for for a reasonably good 20mm hub and the cost required to build it onto the rim????

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
I'm still enquiring about things at the moment for mine comm_dils, I'm looking at either finding the parts myself and repairing, or finding out about that trade-in deal, or saving up for a new fork or second hand fork. Preferably a sherman but price will be a big factor.

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
I just sent an email to groupesportif about it, plan to send one to Marz too if groupesportif doesn't reply in a decent amount of time

Rik

logged out
Call groupe sportif, unfortunately emails aren't taken as seriously as they should be.

But yeh, in due time, email Marz Int, I've seen a few warranty cases where contacting the OS HQ has given things a move along.

wombat

Lives in a hole
commander_dilsnikk said:
btw...anyone have any idea....if it is warrantied....what will happen.....new z5, new legs, new fork other than z5 (coz i'm not sure if they'll have any around coz it's a 2001 fork)??????????
If they do warranty it they'll probably just stick on new lowers, don't expect a whole new fork.