your opinion on drops with any bike - do they reck it

trobb

Likes Dirt
ive been told by numerous people that drops just screw ya bike even if you have a fair setup and even if their to a good tranny. has anyone ever snaped anything doing a drop? i dont do them that much so yea

curtisrider

Eats Squid
i don't agree with that i think that with bikes the more you pay the better quality bike u get.
my first bike which was an Apollo Ozark rrp$450 got bent forks/buckled rims from doing drops and jumps
my second bike a 2001 norco 250 rrp$3500 seemed to take drops with good trannies reasonably well aslong as they were less than about 5.5ft although it does not take drops to flat well
and my 3rd bike a 2000 giant team dh rrp$7000 takes drops really well i have had no problems with it and can take small drops to flat well (2.5ft anything bigger is stupid)

curtisrider

Eats Squid
it's really good haven't had much time to ride it but have done some drops and technical stuff and it seems to work fine.

trobb

Likes Dirt
yer i was gonna get 1 but then it was ment to come in christmas last year and never did so i got an avanti instaed. its wiked

CHEWY

Eats Squid
notobe said:
I think you mean wreck :p
hahaha tom does extra english... dont try and teach him how to spell.... 01 250 is talking about the 00 giant rob, which is just like cozzas, not the new ones.
trobb u know what i think about drops.....
he got the avanti D-8 01 250

curtisrider

Eats Squid
CHEWY said:
notobe said:
I think you mean wreck :p
hahaha tom does extra english... dont try and teach him how to spell.... 01 250 is talking about the 00 giant rob, which is just like cozzas, not the new ones.
trobb u know what i think about drops.....
he got the avanti D-8 01 250
i did say 2000 team dh

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
trobb said:
ive been told by numerous people that drops just screw ya bike even if you have a fair setup and even if their to a good tranny. has anyone ever snaped anything doing a drop? i dont do them that much so yea
Think it really also comes down to riding style. If you're hard on the landings, things will at some point wear down. Friend of mine has had his Santa Cruz Bullit for 3 years now and he's a hucker, never had any problems with it.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drops to flat are gonna eventually destroy any bike, drops to nice transitions, done with a bit of skill will not hurt the bike at all, even if its a cheapo kmart bike. Think about the forces, on a drop to flat the bike and body absorb ALL the downforce, hundreds of kilos if its a big drop. When you land on a downslope depending on the angle, the downforce just accelerates you forwards, uhh get it? I'm no physics expert but i hope people can figure this out themselves, it is logical isn't it? Though by the way a lot of kids on mtb forums talk it doesn't seem to make sense...

S.

ex offender
kalem said:
Drops to flat are gonna eventually destroy any bike, drops to nice transitions, done with a bit of skill will not hurt the bike at all, even if its a cheapo kmart bike. Think about the forces, on a drop to flat the bike and body absorb ALL the downforce, hundreds of kilos if its a big drop. When you land on a downslope depending on the angle, the downforce just accelerates you forwards, uhh get it? I'm no physics expert but i hope people can figure this out themselves, it is logical isn't it? Though by the way a lot of kids on mtb forums talk it doesn't seem to make sense...
Yeah that's right (mostly), your downwards force will be turned into forwards momentum (think of dropping into a quarterpipe), but you lose a fair bit of that in impact, and the steeper the landing (or the more closely aligned to your exact direction of movement), the smoother the landing will be.

Drops to flat though... dodgy. Trials riders can do em safely/properly, but 99% of people (me included) are just gonna wreck stuff doing em.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
kalem said:
Yeah that's right (mostly), your downwards force will be turned into forwards momentum (think of dropping into a quarterpipe), but you lose a fair bit of that in impact, and the steeper the landing (or the more closely aligned to your exact direction of movement), the smoother the landing will be.

Drops to flat though... dodgy. Trials riders can do em safely/properly, but 99% of people (me included) are just gonna wreck stuff doing em.
i tried to keep at as simple as possible... :wink:

Adi

It's my birthday!
Well I have wrecked my 02 Giant Rincon doing 5 foot drop to flat with it, the threading in the crankarms is destroyed, I've snapped numerous hangers, getting a quality bike that is designed for that sort of riding will reduce if not eliminate it it if it is carried out with some skill... I got a 01 P3 ATM and it is riding much better than any other bike I have touched.

fastrider gus

super huck
yea.. whoever told you that drops are bad trobbie me mate.. is a dipshit... seriously... people winge about drops because they either cant do them for sh!t or they are just realy bad at them and always break stuff...
drops farkin rule... YOU CANT DENY THAT THEY FARKIN RULE OK!!!
if you do ill hunt you down and chop of your old fella with a pair of rusty sissors :evil: :evil: :evil:

S.

ex offender
Supersnipes said:
Drops dont wreck you bike if you are smooth. Either that or if you have a a good full squish.
Bullshit, dropping to flat is about the worst thing you can do to your bike. Try landing a "good full squish" smoothly from 8ft up onto flat concrete... in fact try landing ANY bike smoothly from that high. A few of the top trials riders can do it and not break stuff, but the other 99.99% of riders can't.

To tranny, that's a different story.