Your latest AM Adventure - Pics, Videos, Stories

DHoffmann

Likes Bikes
Where is that? They look like very polished trails.
As per the video title ;) it's at the You Yangs. They are indeed very polished, although yesterday they were extremely dry so a lot of loose sand, could use a bit of rain to pack it all back down again.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
All mountain convert

Hi guys. Well after 5 or 6 years of strictly downhill I've decided to hang up the downhill sled and have a crack at riding up the hill for a change. I foolishly thought I could use my commencal mini dh (20ish kg)to plow back up the hills but that was no fun, so I've just spent the weekend test riding some bikes to get an idea of which bike suits me. First was a Santa Cruz Heckler. Being a SC I had big expectations but once on the trails I was disappointed. I rode a medium as I fit right in the middle on the sizing chart but it was too cramped and with a long stem felt like it was trying to tip me off over drops. I found on the descent, rather than flow over my usual lines I had to go a lot slower and try a lot harder to hang on. Didn't fill me with much confidence at all. Don't know if it was the size or change in body position on the bike but it just didn't suit me riding style at all. One thing though it could pedal like a bastard. So then I had a crack on a Giant Trance. At 5" I was a bit hesitant but once on the rough stuff I found it quite capable. Not as good a pedaller as the Heckler but still got the job done and had a bit more fun on it. Only minor problem is the position of the shock makes it awkward to engage propedal on the fly. So hopefully if it stops raining I'll test a large SC Nomad (really looking forward to this) and a Specialized Enduro (also very excited). I think these last two will suit me better as if I remember correctly the angles are a bit slacker and the wheelbases a bit longer (if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected). Don't know how these differences translate on the trails in terms of pedalling back up. Would be curious to hear peoples thoughts. So after my initial AM adventure I've learnt I despise long stems and could do a better job sucking a tranny's goat bag than riding uphill. Cheers and happy trails.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are an ex DHer and are only interested in being able to ride back up for the down, and not speed, make sure you are looking at AM bikes and not trail bikes (like the Trance). The Trance is a great trail bike (I own one), but recently moved up to a 160mm bike with Fox 36ers.

Mine is a Slayer and I ride with a guy on a Scratch. Both are around 14kgs, which while not super light, is more than manageable for climbing back up. If you are only interested in the DH, this is where you will be happy with your selection.

Also you have the added convenience of taking the 1 bike when you road trip and be able to ride anything. Just got back from a road trip, where we rode everything from bitch arse climbs to full on DH and had the security of knowing the bike was up for all of it.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode everything? Really? are you sure there wasn't a teensy bit of pushing going on?:biggrin:

Pleased you guys had a good time
Yeah, it's not a good trail if I don't have to push every now and then :pirate:

Pretty much meant we rode every style of trail on the one bike.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Had a roll around on an Enduro today and straight away I felt happy with it. Couldn't take for a blast on the rough stuff though but I'm sure I'll be well chuffed. Could be the one!

eMOJO

Likes Bikes
Here's one of my first vids shot on a GoPro HD helmet mount... this is from late last year and with the work that TMBC have done it's riding better than ever!

[video=vimeo;34179194]http://vimeo.com/34179194[/video]

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
another ride in the back of nowhere...

So I set out for a quick training loop the other day and ended up on quite a fun explore.. the planned part was a climb up mallet track and down cable track - up a 4wd trail for 5km then down a motorbike-thrashed walking trail thick with blackberries.. interesting riding on the little skinny ridges between ruts! then down to Jerusalem creek. Here, I had a moment of insanity, turned right instead of left to home and went... up!

part 2 took in taylors creek road to rocky ridge, another solid 5km climb on 4wd track. At the junction with the pinnacle walking track its time to shoulder the bike and keep going up - leafy skatey rocky straight up until you get to a signed junction. Take a moment to look around, breathe, and realise that I'm finally about to ride a descent I've pondered for the entire two years I've lived here! wooooha!

So its off, down a long broad spur following a badly marked, indistinct, rocky, sticky, leafy walking trail.. but what a trail! Plenty of moments to look around and take in the view of Lake Eildon and the surrounding mountains, stuff to bunnyhop, old log jumps, and one memorably technical short and sharp switchback.. quite an epic place to be on a bike and fourteen thousand times more fun than a trudge down on foot :)

Probably not worth a commute from melbourne or anywhere else, but if you happen to be in the area and have half a day spare, definitely worth the 4wd trail climb (which is, at least, incredible scenic). ...and next time, I'm taking secateurs!

happy trails!

Last edited:

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
MT Stromlo

Took day trip from Newcastle to Mt Stromlo with a mate and took some footage during the days riding here is the quick edit I did of the days riding. Used a Go-Pro HD Hero and a small Kodak pocket camera. Was a great days riding was worth the 4hrs there and back.

[video=vimeo;35785628]https://vimeo.com/35785628[/video]

Last edited:

faz

Likes Dirt
Mount it in a better position too. Couldn't stand watching the trail through the mess of brake and shifter cables!!

DHoffmann

Likes Bikes
Bit of a vid of Cressy's on labour day on the '11 Reign 0.

[video=youtube;2cTFycQydLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cTFycQydLY[/video]

Went back up in a bit over eight and a half minutes after this, truly a do everything bike.

placebo

Likes Dirt
In honour of the whiney bitch in this thread: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?240621-AM-Bike-suggestions-post who is leaving the sport, taking all his sponsors and going home, so that the simple act of riding a mountain bike for pleasure will be ruined for generations, because he can't have rocks, trees, and jumps removed from trails, I'll post a few photos in remembrance of the sport we once had.

I went to Morzine, back when riding was still worth something:

Rode around a bit:

Watched a bit of a rally:

Rode a bit more:

Had a break:

Saw the sights:

Read some signs and thought about going to Switzerland:

Headed off to Champery:

Rode through some homes because the trails were shut:

Took the cable car back up and then rode back to the hotel:

Decided to go back the next day to see the downhill world champs, was getting a bit cloudy though:

Still good:

Closed in a bit on the way down to the village:

All this for 18 swiss francs:

It was a steep, steep hill though:

Went up and yelled at juniors:

Even an Aussie:

Found a spot to watch some of the mens final. Gwin snagged his bars on the barrier beside the boardwalk before this drop:

Watched people go flying down this slope:

Then got on the cable car for the ride back to the hotel at Morzine:

No more photos after this, because it was a complete white out and just rained until the lac Montriond just before Morzine. Except for a beer photo:

Anyway, there's not much else to do there but go up and then come back down on your bike, and after two whole days I was pretty much over it.

Last edited: