You Yangs MTB Park

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ban on 29ers at the You Yangs

http://connect.garmin.com/player/263418135

The link is the Garmin playback of my regular loop, it might not be the best route but it sure is fun, the only downer is I don't go down Cressy. You could probably make it work by going down Cressy and up Rockwell, you really need to do Vomit Climb (Drysdales Rd) and down Boulder (the spike in the middle). From the top car park the best route back is down Junction, Chainsaw, etc... to the main entry; this is super quick for what feels like forever.
Im sorry but I dont believe 29ers are allowed in the park. There has been alot of braking ruts/damage into corners. We all know it is 29ers that are responsible because they are faster on the flats and riders are required to brake late (becausee they are carrying too much speed) into corners. Parks will notify you of any changes to the restrictions in due course - thank you for your compliance.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im sorry but I dont believe 29ers are allowed in the park. There has been alot of braking ruts/damage into corners. We all know it is 29ers that are responsible because they are faster on the flats and riders are required to brake late (becausee they are carrying too much speed) into corners. Parks will notify you of any changes to the restrictions in due course - thank you for your compliance.
Sorry JD, I quite obviously ride a 26'er so forgot about that rule!

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
God help us all, JD is trying to bring his "Yarra Trails Regulars" 'humour' to this thread....

29ers, fixies and toilet block loiterers, consider yourself warned....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
God help us all, JD is trying to bring his "Yarra Trails Regulars" 'humour' to this thread....

29ers, fixies and toilet block loiterers, consider yourself warned....
narly - you obviously ride a 29er and skid into corners becasue you cant control those wagon wheels and scrub off speed. I called you guys on that on Hans Loop (Yarra trails) and now on the Youies. Narly I simply say it how it is buddy and bring out some of the excentricities of the Yarra Precinct. The Youies have not been spoilt by 29ers, fixies, 650b, strava runs, men in leather hotpants with buckets of lube or Calton hipsters like the Yarra has and we need to make sure it doesnt happen. Banning 29ers is just the first step. Like smoking pot leads to heavier drugs - like EPO and PHD. It is a slippery slope Gnarly and we need you on board mate.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
narly - you obviously ride a 29er and skid into corners becasue you cant control those wagon wheels and scrub off speed. I called you guys on that on Hans Loop (Yarra trails) and now on the Youies. Narly I simply say it how it is buddy and bring out some of the excentricities of the Yarra Precinct. The Youies have not been spoilt by 29ers, fixies, 650b, strava runs, men in leather hotpants with buckets of lube or Calton hipsters like the Yarra has and we need to make sure it doesnt happen. Banning 29ers is just the first step. Like smoking pot leads to heavier drugs - like EPO and PHD. It is a slippery slope Gnarly and we need you on board mate.
Hmmm. John, would it be acceptable to ride YY with a beard? I certainly don't have a luxurious Ned kelly style adornment, but, as it's a weekend, I have occasionally skipped shaving before heading down for a ride. Your guidance is sought, as you obviously are the etiquette man around these parts.....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
pasta seeks help for outragous facial hair

Hmmm. John, would it be acceptable to ride YY with a beard? I certainly don't have a luxurious Ned kelly style adornment, but, as it's a weekend, I have occasionally skipped shaving before heading down for a ride. Your guidance is sought, as you obviously are the etiquette man around these parts.....
you have a beard after not shaving for one day - you are a freak - you can do anything you want you hairy yeti. I once didnt shave for 3 weeks and people just laughed at me. You dont need my guidance Pasta - if you think it is acceptable to head out of the house without shaving then you obviously dont give a damn about your presentation - what could I possibly do to change such a poor attitude.

rockcrawler

Likes Bikes
Will be out there on Monday with a few new guys and taking it easy, showing them around. Parking at Drysdale Rd. Riding a white Charge Duster. Cressy's is the hardest thing we'd ride.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
my mate came across a large black snake on the rockwell climb about half way up. I have only seen a brown one up the top of Rockwells. The water in the quarries is looking alot healthier these days with an assortment of wildlife and water greenery. Be nice to take a dip on those hot days.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my mate came across a large black snake on the rockwell climb about half way up. I have only seen a brown one up the top of Rockwells. The water in the quarries is looking alot healthier these days with an assortment of wildlife and water greenery. Be nice to take a dip on those hot days.
I come across this snake on Sunday JD, being the hardcore You Yangs 26'er rider that I am, I bit it's head off and sucked it's guts out while powering up the next climb! The snake is no more!... I don't see any 29'er riders doing that shit :flame::flame::flame:

Serious he crawled into the bushes...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
step away from the snake

I come across this snake on Sunday JD, being the hardcore You Yangs 26'er rider that I am, I bit it's head off and sucked it's guts out while powering up the next climb! The snake is no more!... I don't see any 29'er riders doing that shit :flame::flame::flame:

Serious he crawled into the bushes...

Keep up the good work mate

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
I did the same, but also kept its skin as a Bear Grylls-style hydration pack for recycling my urine before returning home and presenting my wife with her new purse.

cozzal

Squid
next Sunday
G'day Trav,
Is it next Sunday as in this Sunday , 10/03 ? Got a few riding buddies/relatives interested that you might have run into on a previous shuttle day. Some were on older Craftworks DH bikes.

Are the shuttles available to anyone that pays up or do you need to be a YYMTB member ?

Thanks.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a more serious note...

Does anyone recall the track that joined up with the top end quarry pit (5), continued to climb towards the eastern edge of the stockyards area then descended down trough a few rock gardens, and a man made berm before descending along the fence line towards Drysdales Rd, and finished up near the car park?

I think it may have been Trail No.1 as I recall seeing one of the markers down near the car park a few months ago after taking a wrong turn.

Anyone know what happened to this trail, and why it's all but a sketchy memory?

trav

Likes Dirt
G'day Trav,
Is it next Sunday as in this Sunday , 10/03 ? Got a few riding buddies/relatives interested that you might have run into on a previous shuttle day. Some were on older Craftworks DH bikes.

Are the shuttles available to anyone that pays up or do you need to be a YYMTB member ?

Thanks.
Yeah mate the 10th , this Sunday, available to any one .

mtb_punk

Likes Bikes
On a more serious note...

Does anyone recall the track that joined up with the top end quarry pit (5), continued to climb towards the eastern edge of the stockyards area then descended down trough a few rock gardens, and a man made berm before descending along the fence line towards Drysdales Rd, and finished up near the car park?

I think it may have been Trail No.1 as I recall seeing one of the markers down near the car park a few months ago after taking a wrong turn.

Anyone know what happened to this trail, and why it's all but a sketchy memory?
Sounds to me like you are describing the old track no.5, before most of it was realigned while the park was closed due to the storm damage. I do miss the old no.5, but the new one is pretty awesome.

bl111

Squid
Call me stupid but i loved the old no.5! i cant get the hang of the rock garden with the step down/ into a corner. I eat dirt everytime and its put me off it haha!

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds to me like you are describing the old track no.5, before most of it was realigned while the park was closed due to the storm damage. I do miss the old no.5, but the new one is pretty awesome.
Mmmmm I remember this track being fast and fun and a great comedown as you headed back to the car park for the trip home. I moved to QLD at the beginning of 2010 but I understand the park was closed towards the end of 2010 and start of 2011 due to the weather and some issues with asbestos storm water piping being uncovered.

I'd love to see this trail revived (legally of course) as that side of Stockyards is pretty under utilized.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
remember there were no trails from top of stockyards over to the flat stuff on the other side of the road - Kurrajong. we used to ride off into the private property, domb down a fast open trail, stop to jump the fence, ride around near the road, climb up the large slick rock and bomb down the track to the fireroad and out again. It was all private property but so much fun

oh memories

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
remember there were no trails from top of stockyards over to the flat stuff on the other side of the road - Kurrajong. we used to ride off into the private property, domb down a fast open trail, stop to jump the fence, ride around near the road, climb up the large slick rock and bomb down the track to the fireroad and out again. It was all private property but so much fun

oh memories
You'd remember the original "flat track" Western Plantation...