Yarra Trails

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Apologies to Mars at at Bicycle Victoria Forums for stealing this:

Dear BV MTBrs,

In particular this is for you (us) BV MTBrs as responses are being prepared from other avenues and I am part of those other responses.

An alert mtb mate has come across a draft plan Yarra Bend prepared on behalf Darebin, Yarra and Boroondara Councils.

The general concern is that the Plan suggests consolidation of mtb activities in the Park at the expense of other areas.

Eg see recommendations in section 5:
MTB cross country (single track) Designate Studley Point Loop Road for Mountain Bike use. Should the Par 3 golf course be closed develop as mountain bike park.
Cycling paths / off road Review the trails plan. Separate walking and cycling and from main access road.

There is discussion of conflicting trail use - eg with dog walkers. The worry is that the Park will have exclusive activity areas and mtb might be seen as incompatible with dog walkers and some other uses.

There is a an opportunity to comment on the draft plan by 21 Nov. A riding mate has rung Yarra to confirm this and asked re mtb consolidation. The woman there was not sure and said to ask @leisure, who prepared the draft Plan.

See link below which gives info and has the public comment form. Once you understand the Plan better and have clarified things and provide a response with comments, the Council is bound under the Local Govt Act to consider them. Its a question of how you make those comments.

http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Consultation/

From a planning perspective, you may wish to focus on existing use of the trails, their long history (dispreading 'illegal' works) and the importance of not interrupting the network that goes form Abbotsford to Westerfolds. As opposed to Lysterfield which is a dedicated mtb park that people have to drive to, Yarra can be ridden to and from your home.

You could also refer to the good conduct of MTBrs and shared ethic (maybe refer to MTBA/IMBA guidelines).

I like many first rode these trails in the mid 1980s and I can honestly say that up until the last 12mths any degredation of trails has been minimal or non existant, though recently the introduction of mapping tools utilised by some could be seen as drawing in and potentially contributing to increased traffic or use of alleged illegal trails or fenced off regeneration areas and in turn perhaps some erosion in certain areas. Similarly blogs with "post my ride" and "come here" contributes to increased traffic which is seen by those managing parks and Councils as not sustainable and it may be advantageous for this type of activity to cease if it is occurring.

Therefore please review this plan and make comment if you see fit either collectively and individually.

It is important that you act as what is being preposed as MTB only area is so small you would ride it in a few minutes, and gone will be what you may have ridden to date.

If anyone is also allegedly riding in regenerative areas or fenced off areas please refrain, and pull up anyone you see doing it (easier said than done, I know, but I believe not many do this or it is newbies, so lets's educate them politely).

Having first ridden these trails some 23 years ago I plan to ride them for many years to come and am sure you do as well, so let's protect them and stand up for them, they are yours, mine and everyone's, and it would not be a good outcome to have these trails closed to us the same way many trails in the USA have become due to over zealous ill informed do gooders and planners who do not possess all the facts.

In the end it is up to you and this blurb above is an appeal.

Respect your trails.

Mars.