Yarra Trails regulars

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Yeah I got another 17mm overnight In Surrey Hills. Lysterfield closed for 48hrs too after rain overnight. Best to stick to the gravel for a day or so

Markee

Likes Dirt
Rode Burnely St to Banksia St today and trails are great, only a few puddles. Bonus when I got to Dickies loop................. grass has been slashed!
IMG_4911-XL.jpg
IMG_4912-XL.jpg

Strava route (has some faults this time) - @markeemark and Insta pics @krameekram

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Yeah I was out between banksia st and Burke rd Today alsoBugger all puddles. Rode the koonung ST to doncaster rd too. Someone's been doing some work on the trails here and there along there. Well done whoever it is.
Annulus was up to true form. Completely naked 60yo man walking the ST. No tan lines. Told him to put some f' n clothes on as I went past.

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Rode out to Hans today and had to call and guide in an Ambulance to the lower plantation area. A female rider had come off and copped the bars to her ribs. Most likely broken but otherwise Ok. Thanks to those that stopped and asked if everything is OK.
First time I have used the emergency + app that tells you your GPS coordinates. It worked well

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode down from Belgrave along Mullum Mullum and did Hans this arvo, must've passed you at some stage?
Plenty of happy mountain bikers out. Topped up with half a litre of slushy in the osprey before heading back up the hill on the way back.... mmm passionfruit slushy, note for next time - could've used some tequila!

View attachment 306116

John U

MTB Precision
Rode down from Belgrave along Mullum Mullum and did Hans this arvo, must've passed you at some stage?
Plenty of happy mountain bikers out. Topped up with half a litre of slushy in the osprey before heading back up the hill on the way back.... mmm passionfruit slushy, note for next time - could've used some tequila!

View attachment 306116
Eastie, how do you join up to Hans from where you are? If you're coming from Belgrave I'm guessing you come close by Ringo East? I ride from here to Box Hill a lot, but I've never linked it up to the yarra trails apart from taking the eastern freeway bike path all the way in to Burke Rd.
Cheers for any help you can provide.
John

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eastie, how do you join up to Hans from where you are? If you're coming from Belgrave I'm guessing you come close by Ringo East? I ride from here to Box Hill a lot, but I've never linked it up to the yarra trails apart from taking the eastern freeway bike path all the way in to Burke Rd.
Cheers for any help you can provide.
John
Few of options getting to ringwood - one tree hill then link up with dandenong creek from Liverpool Rd / knox trail to eastlink / or train line all the way to bayswater. Take eastlink to ringwood overpass - follow this down the hill past the pub to left hander that goes under the road and the trail goes along mullum mullum. The trick is at Beckett Road crossing (the first road crossing past the tunnels) head right up Beckett Rd up the hill for about 100m and you will find the mullum mullum trail again on your left - by taking this you will avoid going on the eastlink trail to the Eastern. This links Mullum Mullum down to the Yarra with various singletracks.

See the screen grab - I've highlighted where the eastern trail heads off v's mullum mullum (I rode up/down the grass bit after beckett rd)

beckett rd.JPG

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a climbing story

finally worked out a route from Fairfield to Westerfolds and beyond that gets 1000 metres climbing without any repeats.

started at pipe bridge and went down river (under freeway) before taking the very steep climb up to the boulie, then crossed boulie and up to Look Out Chair. Nice, warmed up with a 150 HR on those steep climbs, from there its out to Yarra Flats, took as much single track as possible - great upper body work out pumping the terrain, into Yarra Flats, nope no elevation here so just kept it steady.

The next opportunity for climbing was Plenty River Trail, took that and down the Rosanna Golf Course descent. Now ST to Bonds Road, gained a bit of climbing there. Normally I'd single track it to Westerfolds but the climbing is along the Path so some to be gained there, arrive at Westerfolds, probably 300-400 metres done.

Enter the Dragon ... and into Han's Loop know its 100 metres climbing per loop so 2 of those thank you, always a work out and managed to pinch flat on training bike - yep still using tubes on that bike, oh well a 15 minute fix - 400+ pumps with mini pump, it's just all part of mtbing and was nice to see kangaroos hoping past to see if I needed a hand, paw?

Now for the cream on the cake, powerline climb to beasleys nursery and back. About 600 metres done now and around I go and up, legs feeling it, so just steady on the climbs, arrive at Beasley's mini reward was going to be a coke, but closed ... well it is 6:00 pm.

back up Target Rd and back to main trail, beautiful ... don't you love a steep descent that allows you to roll half way up the climb, on around 700 metres now, thinking, thinking, yes take the road through the loop (can't risk puncture as no spare tube and 1 patch left - so no ST) then take the mega steep road that goes to top of loop up near fence with pine trees turn around and descend to main yarra trail and past car park and back to westerfolds tap.

Looking good near 800 metres climbing now, so into westerfolds and follow paths up to manor house, legs spinning and metres chomping away, getting near 850/900 so heading back know I have Rosanna Golf course climb that'll get me near 900. (back up plan was a ascent of Mt Pleasant Road think that's a good 3-400, aren't going to happen getting too late now), anyway onto Golf Course climb, just me and the roos now. Come off there with around the 900 metre mark, no worries, just got to save legs and bang out the climb to lookout chair back at Fairfield and I'm at 1000.

hammer the bike path through yarra flats, sorry creepy dudes no looking at my arse tonight, its express to boat house, into single track to boat house and take steep track half way along up to boulie, that's now 980 metres, got it. now ride home along merri creek and 1000 metres clicks over.

So that was a 80k/1000 metres ride along the beautiful yarra trails. why do it?, because its there.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 Thanks for sharing MTB, great write-up. Living in Warrandyte has me spoiled for choice if getting elevation is what I'm after. :D

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
another +1 thanks mtb101 - of all the times I've gone along there, I've never ventured onto Target Rd - I will be heading in that direction in future.

John U

MTB Precision
I followed Easties directions and arrived at the Yarra Trails no worries. Couple of laps of Hans loop, which I've never done before. Really enjoyed it. Saw 2 wombats out in the middle of the day, one chasing the other, totally oblivious to me. Very cool. Great day all round.