XTR shifting problem

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I've swapped a few things in the driveline of the Genius (1x10) and recently changed from an SLX shifter to XTR and seemingly this is where the problems began.
I am running a RaceFace 32T NW ring (fairly new, no wear), XT 10sp cassette (brand new) XT shadow plus (clutch)derailleur, XTR chain (brand new)and XTR shifter.
Shifting up is fine, across all gears smoothly, engages fine. Shifting down is a different story and wit this shifter it seems like it takes a fair bit more force to shift. As if you are fighting the clutch? It also now sometimes misses the third or fourth cog depending, and you have to give it an extra half push to get it to engage, but adjusting cable tension just makes other shifts worse.

Anyway, with the SLX shifter it was fine either way. The difference now is the shifter itself and the cable inner, which is brand new XTR, everything else is the same, including the outers. I gave them a spray with silicone spray prior to fitting the new shifter, and when the cable is not connected there doesn't seem to be any resistance against it moving.
Anyone have any experience with this combo, or suggestions? I'm thinking new cable outer might be worth it and pretty simple to do.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I have previously run exactly that combo aside from a zee RD. Unless I have a premature break, I never change the inner without replacing the outer. I reckon that cable drag is the likely problem. Did you use any lube on the new cable aside from the silicon spray ? I've used too much johnny snot before and had terrible cable drag.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go with cable alignment / drag, potentially at the shifter.
try uninstalling and reinstalling EVERYTHING from the shifter to the derailleur.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I wonder if the shift arm on the XTR shifter is a different length than the one on SLX and XT, making it feel harder to shift? The reason I suggest this is that when I jump from my bike with XT shifting to the one with XTR shifting I notice how much harder it is to shift up the cassette - even taking the clutch out of the equation it's noticeable how much extra effort it requires to shift XTR.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
First port of call for this is always to change your outer cables. This is especially if it shifts to bigger cogs easily but won't go down to smaller cogs as well.

A new inner never fixes cable problems - also new outers come with lube already inside the cable.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I bought a spanking new XTR shifter....used it once.....it was awful compared to the Zee it replaced, so I binned it and went back to the Zee. XT'x shift beautifully in my experience, I'm running 2 zee and 2 XT, but the XTR's I've used/felt are not my cuppa at all.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Did you use any lube on the new cable aside from the silicon spray ? I've used too much johnny snot before and had terrible cable drag.
Just the spray down the outer. It seems to be free with no load, under tension is a different story.
I'd go with cable alignment / drag, potentially at the shifter.
try uninstalling and reinstalling EVERYTHING from the shifter to the derailleur.
Got a new cable this arvo and will do.

I wonder if the shift arm on the XTR shifter is a different length than the one on SLX and XT, making it feel harder to shift? The reason I suggest this is that when I jump from my bike with XT shifting to the one with XTR shifting I notice how much harder it is to shift up the cassette - even taking the clutch out of the equation it's noticeable how much extra effort it requires to shift XTR.
There's no doubt the lever is longer and that is part of the feel issue, but doesn't explain the gears not engaging cleanly on up shifts. I think it might be a combination of changes.

First port of call for this is always to change your outer cables. This is especially if it shifts to bigger cogs easily but won't go down to smaller cogs as well.

A new inner never fixes cable problems - also new outers come with lube already inside the cable.
What sort of lube? The new outers should have something, no? Otherwise what do you suggest?

I bought a spanking new XTR shifter....used it once.....it was awful compared to the Zee it replaced, so I binned it and went back to the Zee. XT'x shift beautifully in my experience, I'm running 2 zee and 2 XT, but the XTR's I've used/felt are not my cuppa at all.
Definitely different feel. I'll get it working properly before I make a final judgement. I have started considering swapping to SRAM...

moorey

call me Mia
Definitely different feel. I'll get it working properly before I make a final judgement. I have started considering swapping to SRAM...
I love the feel of SRAM shifters, I am thoroughly underwhelmed by their type 2 compared to shadow +, not to mention the way SRAM mechs hang out there so far.

Mine was new inner and outer on a mech I already set up with the zee. Shifting was heavy and didn't feel precise at all. Banged the zee back on using the same inner and outer, and felt great again. Have tried a couple of mates XTR shifters (all to clutched mechs), none felt fantastic. You know I'm a shimano drivetrain fanboi, so its not a brand slur thing, I just haven't enjoyed my XTR shifter experience :noidea:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
What sort of lube? The new outers should have something, no? Otherwise what do you suggest? ...
I use sex wax... just run the new cable inners through the brick a few times to get a coating in between the strands of cable, works a treat.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the advice. I have removed the rear derailleur, the cable inner and outer, even took the shifter off to double check it. Shifter works perfectly. Cleaned the derailleur completely, some silicone spray here and there but it was all good as gold.
This frame has internal routing so the outer is about 30cm long from the shifter to the frame, then from the bottom bracket to the RD, about 60cm. The internal part is interesting because it feels like there is something within the downtube about 2/3rds of the way down. There is also the dropper hydraulic line sort of in the way where it exits at the BB. After a couple of attempts, finally got the cable out the right side of the dropper hose and past whatever the downtube obstruction is. Fitted the chainstay outer, re-set up the RD and hooked it up- all good!
Whatever I did, the shifting is much better. Still firm on the lever, but shifts cleanly up and down. Thanks!!

Last edited:

joshbb

Likes Dirt
I have found with my xtr shifter that there is a pretty big difference between the feel of shifting with the clutch on and off. Still feels responsive and clear/crisp, but it is pretty firm. Perfection if you ask me!