XTR M980 Cassette Compatibility with SRAM

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
Hi,

Just wanting some advice on compatibility between 10sp Shimano & SRAM gear. I am currently running a "SRAM XG1080 11-36" cassette which I have bent the crap out of twice now due to the soft alloy 36t sprocket. This cassette is now going in the bin. I am looking at an alternative high-end cassette that has either steel or titanium 36t cog. Enter XTR...

Would there be any adverse shifting issues running an "XTR M980 11-36" cassette in conjuction with the following?

SRAM X0 2x10 cranks
SRAM X0 2x10 Front Derailleur
SRAM XX Rear Derailleur

For the chain, I am willing to run either Shimano (XTR HGX) or SRAM, whichever will provide the best performance in this application (any knowledge on this would be appreciated).

If anyone has any real-world experience in running a 10sp Shimano cassette with like SRAM components, please feel free to chime in with your wisdom. Please do not reply unless you have specific experiece with the above setup.

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
I've done it both ways (Shimano shifting with SRAM cassette, and SRAM shifting with Shimano cassette) without issues. There are arguments that the Shimano shifting is engineered to work as a group because of ramps, pins etc etc, however I have never really bought into it. I am running SRAM XO shifting at the moment with an XT cassette and KMC chain, shifting is direct and flawless, just like it was when I was running Shimano running gear with the SRAM cassette.

I can not imagine you will have an issue with the XTR cassette, my preference is for Shimano chains over SRAM but have recently only been running KMC on everything.

Good luck with it

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Makes no difference. Cassettes and chains are completely interchangeable both ways, 9spd and 10spd. I run Sram cassettes with Shimano XTR chains and Shimano chainrings.

The only exception is XX1, which is a completely closed system (until Shimano brings out it's version).

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I'm currently running SRAM XO 10 speed shifters/derailleurs with xt crank, xtr cassette and shimano chain with no problems. Still shifting nice after 6 months.

Last edited:

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
I'm currently running SRAM XO 10 speed shifters/derailleurs with xt crank, xtr cassette and shimano chain with no problems. Still shifting nice after 6 months.
That's great, but your situation is completely different. You're running a shimano crank cassette and chain. If you were running a SRAM crank your advice would be helpful.

Anyone have any experience with a total SRAM 10sp drivetrain with an XTR cassette (and chain)?

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
That's great, but your situation is completely different. You're running a shimano crank cassette and chain. If you were running a SRAM crank your advice would be helpful.

Anyone have any experience with a total SRAM 10sp drivetrain with an XTR cassette (and chain)?
My 10 speed XTC 29er has sram cranks, chainrings, shifters and am using XT cassette and xt chain.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes, "XT" 10-speed chain is officially designated HG94. The shaping is no different to M980, it's just a tad heavier due to solid pins, and different anti-corrosion coating.

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
As long as the cassette, chain and chainrings are the same speed, it will work.
SRAM/Shimano only matters when you are talking shifter to rear derailleur relationship.

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
Okay, thanks for all the responses. I have just bought an XTR M980 Cassette + XTR HGX Chain. I will let everyone know how it goes once I get a few miles on it......

Cheers,

Dave.