XT or XTR cranks for Glory

blakeo_2233

Likes Dirt
Hi i am looking at getting some new cranks for my glory. I am looking at something lightweight. I have seen xt cranks on some dh bikes but i am wondering if you can run them on glory's. Will thay fit because glorys have 83mm bb so does that have any thing to do with them not fitting Any help would be appreciated. And if so can I run XTR cranks on my glory. And if so are they strong enough?
Thanks

chuckies_here

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Xt's and Xtr's only come in 68/73 mm bottom brackets.
So uless you can mos them some how i don't see it happening.

dhd

Downhill Direct
I think VT is on the money there. The Gravity lites are about as lite as you will get for an 83mm bottom bracket (If you can get your hands on a set!). Though I think I heard a rumour there will be more shimano 83mm cranks out next year.
Me, I have '06 Holzfellas with an ISIS bottom bracket which is lighter than most cranks available for 83mm. Can't remember how much lighter but at the time it was worth hunting down a set.

clockworked

Like an orange
this guy on ridemonkey just took out all the washers and what not on the spindle and made a set of 73mm xt's fit his sunday. I wouldn't do it on my rig, but its still an interesting idea! He explains how later in the thread

another option are deity vendetta's. a touch under 2 pounds i think. and with the american dollar so bad you can get them for around 200 before postage from the states!

Ivan

Eats Squid
You could shave 5mm off either side of your BB and then run which ever 73mm cranks/bb you wanted, but this wouldn't be the best idea for maintaining a good chainline.

If you don't run a bashgaurd you could always run your chainring on the outside and this would bring the chainline back to relatively normal.

Thats a lot of effort to go to though! So I would suggest the gravity lights.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another option is middleburns on a FSA platinum pro ISIS BB. Also a very light and strong combo.

I have the older ISIS gravity lights on my glory but they are twisted already :eek:

blakeo_2233

Likes Dirt
Ok thanks guys. I think ill go for some gravity lights now. I was originally looking at getting them but I saw some bikes with XT cranks and thought it would be worth a shot. But luckily i checked first.
Thanks

Whats wrong with hone or saint?..

These cranks have a bit more meat to them but are basically the same design as xt or xtr, why not keep it abit cheaper, tougher and more suited to the glory with hone or saint cranks, way cheaper than buying middleburn or such.. not dissing middleburn tho, they rock!