XT M776 20mm AM wheelset and gettin the tyres on ! help needed

Andy.G

Likes Dirt
Is it just me ?? :eek:

new XT M776 20mm AM wheelset - the one with the wider rim.

Sheet, i've fitted hundreds of tyres, but I'm ****ed if I can get these new tubeless EVO 57-559 Schwalbe Nobby Nics on this new wheelset by hand ... how will I ever get them off trailside ?? Stretched the tyres on there for 2 weeks now, still CANNOT get close to getting bead over rim :confused:
holy crap I literally wrestled and forced them on with levers and broke two in the process ... but now I feel like I'm gunna need to cut them off.

Any experience out there ??

0psi

Eats Squid
You'll need to use a 26" Tyre with those rims :p

On a sightly more serious note, are you having trouble getting the first bead on as well or is it just the second one? Have you tried putting the bead in the centre of the rim? Oh, and baby steps with those levers, inch by inch. If you're used a decent tyre lever (michelin) you shouldn't be breaking them.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Have you tried putting the bead in the centre of the rim?
good question.

I have the same rims (love them) but have found it difficult getting the tyres fitted at times and have snapped many a lever (even the ones with the metal bit in middle)

the profile of the rim means that if the bead is at the edge of the rim, it will be tighter.

Always make sure any part of the bead that's on the rim is in the centre of the rim all the way around, and try make sure the last bit of bead that you lever over is the bit near your valve.

gently, gently...

0psi

Eats Squid
Always make sure any part of the bead that's on the rim is in the centre of the rim all the way around, and try make sure the last bit of bead that you lever over is the bit near your valve.
I generally do it the other way around. Start at the valve and work my way to the opposite end. You can use the outside of the valve to hold both sides of the bead down.

Also, only put a tiny amount of air in your tube (I usually just blow it up by mouth, that sounded sus), too much and you'll struggle to get any slack.

If you're using tubeless ignore all of that.

Edit: Got it- I should have said INFLATE it by mouth. Much less sexual.

Last edited:

Andy.G

Likes Dirt
Yep, i'm ok with the ust and center channel thing, this is the third ust wheelset in my fleet (2 x Mavic Crossmax sets on other bikes) this is my first ust shimano wheelset though.

first bead is tight - close, but still cant even get it on by hand !!
second bead is wrestle with levers ... yep, I got a bit cranky with the two levers I broke ... better today, given slightly stretched tyres but still cannot believe how f8888ng tight these rims/tyres are together ... must try one of my old Larsens - you can throw them onto a Mavic rim from three yards away !!! I suspect these German tyres are not helping ...

at least I should never blow a tyre off or even burp for that matter.

Guess i'll just have to carry levers around ... it would be the first time !!!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nobby Nics are bloody hard to fit to a normal wheel - let alone one which sounds like it has a reputation for being hard to fit tires too - BUT it is soooo worth it - good luck

0psi

Eats Squid
Yeah some tire rim combinations just suck for some reason. I had to put a Michelin on a WTB rim a while ago, absolute nightmare.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Not sure if this may have any long term affects, on tires that are particularly tight to get on the rim, I smear some liquid soap along the rim, just seems to make it a lot easier to coerce the tire on with a lever or two.

0psi

Eats Squid
Don't think that'll have any adverse effects, I do it often to get stubborn beads to seat properly on a UST rim. There is a specific compound developed to get moto tyres on and to get them to seat properly, having said that, in my days of working in a Moto shop we just used soap.