XC Tyres

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
i am a maxxis fan and am considering going tubeless because i am having trouble with the sidewalls not lasting as long as the tread on my tyres
does anyone else have this problem with larsen tt exceptions and crossmarks?
i ride rocky trails don't really want to run wire bead tyres like my foldies
are the UST tyres more robust??? the ones i have seen are????
UST are definitely more robust... I was using tubes with Larsen TT Exceptions for about 3 years on my previous bike and always ended up replacing them due to sidewall wear, well before the tread ran out. I am now (on new bike) using Maxxis Rendez and Crossmark UST's for my everyday and Schwalbe Rocket Ron & Racing Ralph UST's for my race tyres and all cases the sidewalls seem fine. Having used UST, I'll never go back... yeah, they may be ever so slightly heavier but I've never had a flat since, and can run lower pressures for better grip and less rolling resistance. UST may be more expensive but at least I'm not going to replace them till the tread wears out! I'd be giving them a shot on your rocky trails for sure...

solo

Likes Dirt
yeah thanx gone riding it is disappointing to have tread left when sidewalls are stuffed i know the feeling
definately will be purchasing some ust tyres as the rims i have are already compatible cheers

Bikeboy005

Likes Bikes
Hi Lads.. I am old school and go for the best tyres on the market for all types of use. Bugger the extra weight. This tyre is cheap and brilliant.

Tyre: Maxxis Ignitor UST/Kevlar Bead 2.3
Strengths: The well-spaced tread pattern fills in nicely to provide low rolling resistance in the straights, while the ramped pentagonal knobs provide excellent traction in the corners and in medium soil.The tyre rolls extremely well, minimal rolling resistance with good grip on dry hardpack, however definately not a mud tyre
Weakness: Weight
Weight: 785g
Bottom Line: Great fast tyre, Excellent multi-condition performer
Rating: 9.5/10

Hi Lads.. I am old school and go for the best tyres on the market for all types of use. Bugger the extra weight. This tyre is cheap and brilliant.

Tyre: Maxxis Ignitor UST/Kevlar Bead 2.3
Strengths: The well-spaced tread pattern fills in nicely to provide low rolling resistance in the straights, while the ramped pentagonal knobs provide excellent traction in the corners and in medium soil.The tyre rolls extremely well, minimal rolling resistance with good grip on dry hardpack, however definately not a mud tyre
Weakness: Weight
Weight: 785g
Bottom Line: Great fast tyre, Excellent multi-condition performer
Rating: 9.5/10
I'll concur with this. Have the Ignitor on the front which was great on everything but the muddiest part of the Forrest 6 hour course. Luckily I changed out the Crossmark on the rear for an Advantage. The crossmark would have struggled.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
haha, this sounded like it was copied out of a marketing document until that last bit :)

cameron94

Likes Dirt
Goin' down to Mt. Stromolo this week, what tyre would you say use? Will be using Pararacer Xc Fire Pro front and Nobby Nic back. And my brother will be use a Ardent front and Crossmark back. We have both just got the ardent and pararacer, fitting the tonight. Are these ok?

cameron94

Likes Dirt
Goin' down to Mt. Stromolo this week, what tyre would you say use? Will be using Pararacer Xc Fire Pro front and Nobby Nic back. And my brother will be use a Ardent front and Crossmark back. We have both just got the ardent and pararacer, fitting the tonight. Are these ok?
I put on the pararacer yesterday and it says it is 2.1 but it looks like it is under 2! It is incredibly skinny! Grip looks good but the size! LOL

thomast

Likes Bikes
I've had a pair of Maxxis Fly Weights (1.9) hidden away for many a year and I am thinking of dragging them out for the Highland Fling. My other option is to use the Maxxis on the rear and Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front. Opinions appreciated. Cheers.

Bodin

GMBC
I've had a pair of Maxxis Fly Weights (1.9) hidden away for many a year and I am thinking of dragging them out for the Highland Fling. My other option is to use the Maxxis on the rear and Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front. Opinions appreciated. Cheers.
I had a pair of 1.9" Maxxis Larsen TT Exception Series back in 2004. Never ridden a faster, more grippy tyre... for the 5 minutes I used to be able to ride them before getting a flat. Ended up giving them away, as I was spending more money on tubes than I did on the tyres in the first place.

If your tyres are of the same sort, I wouldn't be taking them any where near an Endurance race. Or a trail. Or a road. Or a bicycle.

azicat

Likes Bikes
I've been running some Syncros FLT 2.0" tyres front and back on my Trek hardtail for the last week or two. I got them from a bargain bin at Phantom Cycles. Very impressive for the price on hard/medium terrain.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
I've been running some Syncros FLT 2.0" tyres front and back on my Trek hardtail for the last week or two. I got them from a bargain bin at Phantom Cycles. Very impressive for the price on hard/medium terrain.
I also got one of those as a 'bargain' from a bike shop aswell. I have never had so many pinch flats. It didn't matter how hard i pumped the tyre, I would pinch at least twice every ride. I cracked and threw it in the bin in the end.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Yup! many have a love or hate relationship with the FLT 2.0" jobbies. I quite like 'em. They're a narrow bag, but roll really well, seem pretty versatile in a lot of conditions, and are pretty light. I ran them pretty low pressures (sub 30's) tubeless, which allowed them to bag up a bit more and thought they hooked up really well.

I recommended them to a friend who hated them.

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

azicat

Likes Bikes
I hammered them at Narrow Neck yesterday running 40PSI with tubes and had no problems with punctures. Going to try Yellomundee today and see how they go in singletrack. Gotta love holidays!

Yes they are a small bag and quite narrow - initially I was worried about that, but I stopped looking at them and just got on with riding. If you know Narrow Neck then you'll know how rocky and loose the conditions can be. They gripped as well as I could expect on such surfaces.

Last edited:

azicat

Likes Bikes
OK, just back from Yellomundee (yay holidays again!) on an old Trek 6500 hardtail and the Syncros FLTs on both ends. I found the tyres quite good all-rounders and they coped with pretty much all of the singletrack. They got quite skatey in the rock gardens and technical climbs, but their light weight and quick turning helped with negotiating the terrain. I was able to get around their limitations with riding technique and shifting my weight on the bike.

I think if I were to do more technical stuff then I'd go for a tyre with more volume and a squarer profile, but at $29 per tyre I'm very impressed. I'd be happy with using them where the terrain is smoother and faster.