XC Training

Aman

Likes Bikes
I gess most XC people would do this anyway but for you people that think that MTB are the only way to go, note this.

Road bikes are a good way to train and they will improve your peformance. But If you realy don't want a road bike just use slicks and I garantee that you will become a better XC rider.

Ty

Eats Squid
i just had to go on a mission across town and as i picked up my bmx i looked up and saw Tasha AC decked out in comuter mode (1.5 inch slicks pumped up to 80 psi, rear end in it's hardest/shortest position, psylos U-turned all the way down) so i grabed that instead.

and damn i arrived 15 minutes earlyer and half as tired as i expect i'd be. if i ever have any serious plans about getting fit i'll be all over the skinny tire program.

DRUM

Likes Dirt
If you train with slicks it makes it easier for you.. Is that a good thing when your training???

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
My endurance has dropped, but mygod my torque levels have increased since ditching the slicks. My commuter used to be under 10kg, and now the only bike I ride weighs more than 25kg. It's even more satisfying overtakin guys on road bikes on big hill climbs than ever before!!!

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the other way, train with big knobbies at low pressure and then ride with low knobbys at high pressure, makes a lot of diff.
for instance, ride a michilen tire with knobs while training, then go to a hutchinson python or something.

lotec

Banned
wouldn't training with 3" tires at like 15 psi (not nesicerally 3" but some fat tire bith big knobbies) be better because you would get used to them and then when you actually compete or go for a whole day ride or whatever you put the thinner tires on and its so much easier than your used to that you can go further and faster?

LordNikon

Uber Geek
I use slicks during the week to ride to and from work, and do training rides of 30 k's or so after work at least once a week. My reasoning for this is that slicks are made for roads, no point killing a perfectly good set of XC tyres within a month.

Then ride at least once every weekend in the bush using fat tyres.

IMHO training is just spending time on the bike. The more time you spend in the saddle the fitter you will be...

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LordNikon Wrote:
IMHO training is just spending time on the bike. The more time you spend in the saddle the fitter you will be
Very true, to a certian extent, depends what you are after. When I played ice hockey, I needed Explosive leg power, and endurance (I was a goalie)...My Solution, Ride my road bike in the same (a small one on the rear) gear all the time, for hours on end, up hills etc.... Now it worked, but it took litraly months to notice the differences.

You can spend all the time in the world on your bike, it wont always make you fitter, but your outdoors so who cares.

...and Just for the record, I ride with my regualr cheapie tyers on the road on my mtb, I just raise the presure abit .

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Having 2 wheelsets on your mtb comes in handy for this if ya can afford it. Otherwise it's a biyatch to change tyres all the time. If you take it seriously, even get a road cassette for the training set of wheels.

Rik

logged out
Get some CitySlickers, woot 23mm slicks! Ya rim would be wider than that :lol:

I reckon training on slicks is better, as Squid has proven, knobbies will make you more powerful, but that's not the be all and end all of training.

Goose

Likes Bikes
OK guys what type of tier do you use if say 10% of your ride is on the road shoulder where there is only dirt and grass. 8)