XC SS conversion questions...

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
gday,

i have a question for those with SS knowledge...

am wanting to convert the old mtb to SS (for XC)and im wondering what do i do RE cranks in order to get a correct chain line? im guessing i need to get a pair of SS specific cranks? anyone recommend anything?

also with wheels. can anyone recommend a XC wheel set that is set up for single speed? or are most of those wheels custom built? in this case is it worthwhile just running a normal rear wheel with spacers?

thanks in adv for any help...

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Same cranks are OK, just take the big ring off (you wont get granny off without taking the cranks off). You may need to get some short chain ring bolts or run a bush ring). Of course going SS specific does give you the excuse to buy a set of these

Reccomend a wheel - DT Swiss 240s SS hub with Mavic 819d rims DT Comp spokes. Dirt Works/Wheelcraft have some nice & cheeper options also. Else just run a standard wheel spaced out with you favourite spacers (SS conversion kit, spacers and cogs robbed from old cassettes, PVC pipe, whatever)

Dont forget to read here & Sheldon's SS pages

alexb618

Likes Dirt
you can get the correct chainline via some trial and error, ie the arrangement of spacers/cog and chainring on inside/outside of spider... plus if you use a 1/8 chain it is even easier to get the chainline right as you can see how the teeth are sitting between the links a bit better than a 3/32 (its wider...)

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What type of wheel/tensioning system to get will be influenced by whether the frame has got horizontal or vertical dropouts.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
cheers, thanks for all the help

given that theres a huge range of SS tensioner's available, any recommendations on what to use, or better yet, what not to use?

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used Suly singleators with good results, Rennen Rollenlagers with average results due to a slightly more fidly installing/removing wheels and installation.

I now use a White Industries Eno Eccentric hub and freewheel which I am loving (I did have some problems at the last dirt crits, but I discovered my problem was a slightly dodgy chain length in the gear ratio I changed to for that race), it's a much neater looking set up than a tensioner. I have another singlespeed with an eccentric BB and that seems to be working well so far as well.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i use a da bomb rl3 its a sweet tensioner doesn't move one bit and works a charm too