XC or Downhill

cookieman1717

Likes Bikes
I recently got a GT force 3.0 for an all round bike. I love riding down the hill but hate climbing. Ive gone in a few XC races but id rather ride for fun than for fitness. When i was buying a bike i wanted a DH bike but they were two expensive since im just 14. I settled for the Gt as it was the next best, cheaper thing. Im thinking of just swapping the bike 4 a downhill bike in for sale section but i financed my bike so can i still sell/swap it and keep on paying it off? What type of bike do you reckon i will get if i swapt. Any ideas. I paid 2500 for the bike. sell for maybe 1900 considering its only 3 months old

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stay with xc, but slowly progress into more AM. You will find you will have more fun, and end up with a better skill set rather than if you get into DH, hurt yourself and waste your money riding your bike once......I have seen it happen before....

PS you will be able to sell a 3 month old bike for more than that...

brindog

Likes Dirt
mate
your best off keeping the XC because you can ride it everywhere, where a downhill you can not.
I started off MTB on a XC for 4 years and enjoyed it but ended up buying a DH and getting into it, but I still ride a bit of XC, and I have discovered you can get to alot more places and ride downhills on your xc because the mountain is so far up a blocked off fire trail you would never bother lugging your DH all that way.
So the best thing to do would be keep riding your XC building up your skills until you can afford a DHer without selling your XC.

my 5 cents;)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Depending on how it was financed you may not be able to sell it without the finance company's approval. Technically it's their bike until you finish paying for it.

Best read the fine print in your finance agreement

Allmountain

Likes Dirt
I'm sure that the force 3.0 could handle light downhill, I mean it is an all mountain bike so I think that you should just stick with it. Maby have a go at some light downhill trails first and then see what you reckon.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
For $2600 you could of bought a good entry level downhill bike.. Norco Shore 3.. Kona Stab Deluxe.

soil sampler

Likes Dirt
Hey mate. Ive got a force 2 and i reckon its fine for doing the ocasional DH. Also if you keep riding xc you should become very fit and therfore you will faster when you go to ride DH. XC is a great way to learn trail skills.

indica

Serial flasher
I have a force 3 and love it.

Ditch the suspension and you'll be sweet for some soft DH.

Keep it, ride it and get some skills.

england

Likes Bikes
Keep the XC I went straight onto a DH after having a BMX and my fitness was non existent, I now have my downhill bike for when I am going for a proper ride, and my XC for when I want to just go for a ride on my own, or if I can't get anyone to shuttle with.

Plus if you get good at XC and learn all the skills at a moderate pace then you will be less likely to go into a DH section with to much speed when you don't have enough skill to keep from crashing.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
Personally i would keep the xc bike and save up for a dh bike. The skills and fitness you get from xc help heaps with DH.
This year at oceanias a xc rider decides to do his first ever dh race and came 11th in elite men. A friend of mine is one of Australias best u/19 XC riders and this year has competed in a few world cup rounds. But he is a very good dh rider and ends up on podiums when he does the occasional state dh race and thredbo interschools (he never rides dh). Sort of shows that xc riders with some skill can dominate at dh.
I do dh and xc. XC can be fun when you find good tracks. The only problem with dh it is expensive.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love riding down the hill but hate climbing.
Based soley on your age (as I know nothing about where you live or your access to easily available shuttles) I'd say that currently a DH bike isn't the right bike for you just yet. While you may hate climbing now, I suspect you'll hate pushing a whole lot more.

ermastupid

Likes Bikes
xc bikes setup need lighness (frame, fork n drivetrain) n more speed (27 speed n up) n need more endurance than skill.. the complete bike weight range is under 10 kg/11 lbs...
downhill bikes setup are heavy coz need strong frame, seriously drivetrain n wheelset n aggresive fork n need more skill riding teqhnique... the complete bike weight is up 10 kg/11 lbs...