Xc newbie

DH Viper

Likes Dirt
ALL. Relatively new to the scene of XC riding (had my first attempt last weekend). My question is how do I develope fitness to do much better at these events. Background riding has been pre-dominantly downhill, BUT I struggled 'tortuously' on the distance (55km) and riding uphill!!! I don't have a road bike at all therefore, bike time is limited to my XC bike. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Just get out on the XC bike as much as you can! That's all I have to ride too. The longer and more frequently I ride the fitter I become. Recovery and nutrition are also important. There are multiple threads on those.

agoer

Likes Dirt
When i dont have time to go out to the bush or ride out (to bush) i cut a lap around town (25km).
There is no law saying you have to ride a XC bike on dirt, riding is riding and sometimes i prefer the black top.

G

Last edited:

mr-grumpy

Likes Bikes
ALL. Relatively new to the scene of XC riding (had my first attempt last weekend). My question is how do I develope fitness to do much better at these events. Background riding has been pre-dominantly downhill, BUT I struggled 'tortuously' on the distance (55km) and riding uphill!!! I don't have a road bike at all therefore, bike time is limited to my XC bike. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!
Having done exactly this a few years ago..... Just ride. Pick distances that are just outside your comfort zone and ride for fun. As you get fitter you will get faster and go further. its not majic, it just takes alot of sweating.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Having done exactly this a few years ago..... Just ride.
As Grumpy has already pointed out, it is all about miles in the legs. Somedays ride slow and long. Somedays go flat out and smash yourself so you are toast in 40 minutes. Just make sure you are enjoying it. So long as you are spending time on the bike, you will be getting faster at this point.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Long fire trails are good. If you can find some nicely undulating fire trails nearby to ride where you can ride 30-40km. They can be your road ride off-road and let you get some serious consistant pedalling in yet still have quite a nice time.

Also find a good long hill on the road and just keep climbing it and build up your climbing on it.

Newton

Likes Dirt
Buy yourself some 26" slicks and get out on the road, find a loop of around 40kms with hills and do that every weekend, then add 20kms to it every 4-5 weeks, then work your way upto 60-80kms - keep the hills in your rides. Also whilst your riding put in efforts, so say on the 40km ride pick points during the ride where you'll give 80%, 90% and then 100% efforts for periods you can sustain - allow for recovery - remember these points during the ride and try and improve on them each ride. Riding at one pace for the sake of riding may not help you improve, finding challenges and putting in efforts will help you build your fitness. :D

KALBO

Likes Bikes
Running gets you fit quicker so when not able to ride, run around the block a few times at least 30 minutes. THis will get your lungs working fast BUT remember also that running uses different muscles than when you're riding a mountainbike.

Have methods of training. Go out and do sprints on your mountainbike. The more time you spend on your bike, the fitter you will get plus your skills will improve. ENJOY!!!

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Study Google Earth. Look at the parks and trails near yourhouse.

Try to make up a loop out of you local alley ways, car-parks, parks, lanes, roads, little bits of track, footpaths. Roll out your front yard and do a few laps as often as you can. Sometimes you can make an interesting loop incorporating some obstacles etc to make it fun.

DH Viper

Likes Dirt
Thanks all. I reading that interval riding is a key here to build strength and endurance at the same time yeah? The local area is pretty flat, so I guess some fast rolling rubber is in order to clock the miles. Thanks!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
All top suggestions so far. I find I need to do some other stuff as well as riding to balance out the riding muscles. I mix it up with some hiking, running and walking the dog. I also go down to the uni basketball court and shoot a few hoops and do sprints. I find this helps stretch out and strengthen muscles that you don't necessarily use or strengthen by riding all the time. I guess, in a very basic way, I like to focus on working the opposing muscles to riding as well.
That's how I mix it up, but, you can't beat getting the miles into your legs… but in the focus of getting the miles into your legs, don't neglect your bike skills. Something fun to do is to try and ride along the gutter the whole length of your street.

DH Viper

Likes Dirt
What about food and eating during these events? I tried the bars but found they didnt want to go down properly (probably due to laboured breathing). What frequency and amount should be consumed? is there a rough sort of guide? Should I utilise the same carb/protien intake whilst training prior to events?

BT180

Max Pfaff
You should practice your event eating on your training rides. You don’t want to be trying something for the first time during a race or you’ll risk an upset stomach, cramps, dehydration, etc.

You need to work out what fuel your body needs during training so that you can enter the race knowing that what you carry will be sufficient.

DH Viper

Likes Dirt
What is a good starting point for trail food? What food types and quantities should one consider? Obviously learning to eat on-the-fly means that food has to be easily accessible and ready to eat.

DH Viper

Likes Dirt
Extremely helpful information contained in that post. Thanks heaps for that. Offers an excellent starting point to HOPEFULLY keeping me going on the trails. Thanks!

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
As a begginer, there is no need for 'training' so much as just going out and riding, for as long as you can, as hard as you can. As you get better you will learn more about proper training methods to fine tune you fitness for racing, but for now, just go out and have fun and get to know how you handle different situations.

Edit: Also, when I was a young lad, 13 or 14, me and my brother did a lot of touring. We did a 190km ride on dirt over 2 days and did a ride from the most northrn part of Namadgi National Park to the south over 3 days. These long all day rides made a huge difference and are probably the reason that I can ride ednruance as well as I can now. Not to mention they were probably the best experiences of my life so far

Last edited:

tim3638

Smith of hammers curious
A suggestion that depends a lot on your circumstances is you could ride to work, cheap and gets you fit........