XC Dualie $5k - $6k

Looking to upgrade and buy a high end bike at present I have a max of $5k - $6k to spend on a XC racing bike (e.g. dirworks/Highland fling etc).......done a lot saving up !

At the moment I have a Commencal Meta 552 which is about 13.5kg and I'm looking for something lighter for a second bike.

At the moment I've pulled together a list of options being :

1) Pivot Mach 4
2) Yeti 575
3) Orbea Occam Carbon 3
4) Giant Anthem X1 / Anthem X Advanced SL1
5) 29er - GF Superfly / Anthem X 29er

I'm 6"3 / 95kg and stuck on what to go with. The 29er option seems appealing given my size and the number of racers out there using them now.

Interested in peoples thoughts on the above and any other good options ??

fezi

Likes Dirt
Hi,
I've raced both the DW & High land on a 575. Probably a little over kill in the travel department but certainly comfortable. I'm the same hieght and the large fitted me fine. Bike weight is 11.3kg in xc mode. Co-incidently it is also on the market for considerably less than your budget.

If your serious about these longer point to points though I dont think you can look past a 29er wheeled bike, they just eat up the big k's with ease

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a 575, love it to death, but not for long XC races. Very comfortable, not so fast.

Maybe an ASR 5 if you want to put a Yeti on there.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
For those longer races I would definitely look at the 29er options out there, if I wasn't broke I'd be looking to upgrade to a 29er of some description, and with your budget something niiice would be in order for sure.

m_g

Likes Dirt
jump on the 29er wagon!

I just bought myself a GF Hi-Fi, but if had your budget I'd be looking at the Pivot 429..

matt462

Likes Dirt
Hi
I've just got myself a yeti asr 5c which is an absolute weapon of the trails.

Mine weighs in just under 10.9kg

Its not a 29er but may be better than the 575 for what your after.

Matt

bazza

look at me
Love my Pivot Mach 4. Wouldn't hesitate in highly recommending it for anyone out there! I run just the stock SLX build but put in a set of tubeless XT wheels and it goes sweet! Going to be interesting to see how it goes vs my hardtail at the otway this year....

gixer7

Likes Dirt
What about the new Anthem X 29'er? With $6k you'd have plenty of cash left over for some sweet upgrades, ie. new wheels.

I always like a bit of personalisation on my bikes!

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
What about the new Anthem X 29'er? With $6k you'd have plenty of cash left over for some sweet upgrades, ie. new wheels.

I always like a bit of personalisation on my bikes!
The SC Tallboy platform can offer you a great bike for 6 grand. At least you'll have a great frameset you can then upgrade if required.

- Joel

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will add another vote for the Tallboy.
Absolutely the best dually I have owned.

HUTCHY77

Likes Bikes
I've done the otway on a epic and stumpy. Pulled up sore on the epic; Stayed to closing after doing it on the stumpy. With that said there are some awesome deals going with the current changes to advanti plus dealers. My LBS had a carbon stumpy (in my opinion the ultimate 100km bike) for 5k.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
.. and if it turns out that you don't like it, selling the frame will leave you with enough change from $6k to buy a Tall Boy frame and swap the parts onto it. Even if you've already upgraded the wheels.

I rode an afternoon on a SC Blur XC (carbon) and an afternoon on a Giant Trance X3 a couple weeks ago. They were both specc'd similarly .. yet the SC RRPs for double the Giant, and didn't ride noticably better. (I did like the feel of both a bit more than the Stumpy Comp I spent a day on, tho.)

Don't get me wrong - every SC frame available today is undoubtably a really, really nice product from a great company. It's just that when you buy Giant you basically get a good frame for free.

Another brand to throw into the mix is Jamis as my LBS has a couple of run-out models going for a good price, the Dakar XCR Team and Dakar XCR Pro.

Anyone out there ride or ridden these ??