XC bike for my missus

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
hey everyone,
im looking for a new pushi for my missus, she wants to spend about 1k.

the only bike that i have found so far thats light and has good componetry is the giant XTC3. there were a few other bikes that she has liked but there been DJ bikes and not really good for what she needs..

any sugestions?

topher

Likes Dirt
try second hand mate! XTC 3 are good bikes, see if you can get a second hand 2 or 1 from somewhere that would go down nicely! I know you can get xtc 2's 05 models for 1300,

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Look 2nd hand. Assuming she's new to the sport the Kona's have a more trail-riding geometry, meaning that she would be less leaning over the front handlebars. Combined with a good standover height any of the Kona range will give her that extra bit of confidence feeling more upright and able to put her feet down easily. The Kona range are bikes look less serious if she's new into cycling. I know a bunch of girls and several of them ride Kona's and love them. Good colour schemes and with names like Cinder Kone, Stuff, Bear, Dawg rather than 1500, 1400, F800 or XTC they seem to like the less serious marketing of the bike.

That said my missus is on a Specialized FSR and she'll never go back to a hardtail again. The confidence it gives her means she miles ahead of the other girls on the descents and a good full susser like that will cover for a lot of "operator errors". Considering how long they have been out I would also keep and eye out for one that has been well looked after.

WILLY

Likes Dirt
Just gone through the same thing mate,
I bought my GF a Kona Blast, and she absolutely loves it.
The Konas make very good quality frames and their geometry would be up there with the best.
It is a very confident-inspiring ride with a comfotable position.
Sure there are bikes with better value componentry (jamis, giant etc) but if you want the lady to enjoy her riding and hopefully get more serious about it in the future, a kona will have her wanting to hit harder trails.
Its very important to have a well-fitted bike, ladies generally require a tad more standover for confidence, not a huge TT and a fairly short stem with a riser bar.
Being confident on the bike from the get-go will ensure that she has a good time, and really, isnt that what its all about (cheesy grin)

Anyway mate, good luck with it, make sure she jumps on a few different bikes to see what fit shes looking for.

PS. My GF really digs the stealthy black colour of the Blast!!

bradmc

Likes Bikes
My wife owns a Giant NRS....and loves it. The bike can also handle some gnarlier type terrain. Believe me, you will appreciate it as well ;) you won't then get bored riding tracks that maybe well below your level of excitement. One other thing......if you need to help her out by lifting a bike up or down some sketchy bits, you will want her on a light bike. :)

I am sure you could grab a NRS second hand, at the price you mention.

Cheers.

craigb

Likes Dirt
i just bought an nrs2 for my woman today shes rapt with it. we looked at an nrs3 but decided the extra money was worth it. as everyone else said you should be able to pick up a good second hand duely cheap just make sure the pivots arte not stuffed

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
thanks for the reply guys, we had a look at some Kona's but there was nothing really that she liked, i might take her back for another look.
if i can get a cinder cone for a good price we would take it, rather not have the cable disc's on the blast.

duelys i would rather stay away from, to heavy.

also anyone had anything to do with the norco charger? she wanted a bigfoot but she wont keep up doing XC haha.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Bobby_Digital said:
duelys i would rather stay away from, to heavy.
Man, I hate to say this, but that's such a 90's arguement.

Sure if you looking at brand new Full Sussers and HT at $1000. But 2nd hand if your carefull you might be able to buy a NRS or a FSR 2nd hand in good nic. that wouldn't be much heavier.

You haven't given us any indications of her fitness ability/ skill level. I can only offer you my example.

My Missus.
Old bike.
Avanti Competitor Pro, Easton tubing, Sid forks, V-brakes. Verry light.

New bike.
Specialized FSR PRO, Same Sid forks, Hydro discs.

Summary.
Yeah the old bike was very light, but being so light she never really had any confidence on it. Racing setup (over front forks) only compounded the issue with her feeling really sketchy going DH. The new bike is a bit heavier (even running a coil rear shock), but she is so much more aggressive on this bike. She trusts the bike to hook-up giving allowing her to concentrate on hitting the right line. Combined with the hydro brakes (recent addition) she sooo much faster than the other girls on descents and flats. She's been getting podium finishes now all season and if I could actually get her out between races she'd probably win them all!

Anyway that's might example, don't know if it applys to your situation.

toby

Likes Dirt
I just bought my misses a Trek 6500 WSD....

At first i thought that the whole WSD was a bit of marketing hype, but after seeing her on a few different bikes the WSD does fit better. It has a shorter top tube, shorter reach brakes, shorter cranks etc. All in all the package works well for her.

One thing that I did notice was that there is a gap in the market for womens bikes, althought it looks like Kona is bringing one out shortly (FS and HT). The value for money with the HT meant that she got better components (read lighter and stronger) than she would have on a FS. Most of the FS bikes in our price range were like tanks! There seems to be a lot of bikes made for hucking and not a lot for riding in the $2k FS price range.

Really all that should matter when choosing a bike for your misses is fit. You need herto be comfortable on the bike, and it does tend to be harder than for guys.

I'm sure this bike will get her through a few years of riding and then she can get a top FS to grow old with...

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my girl went from a giant ATX to a specialized WS stumpy. the bike is heavier but she climbs (technical) better than before. is more confident going down stuff and is happy to be out on the trails for 3 or 4 hours.

Beena

BSC Bikes
Best bet is to get her out there and on a couple. Kona's do have great geometry and nice frames, and for around $1k you'd want to look at a Cinder Cone ($1350rrp). Norco Chargers were a pretty good value bike (if you can still find one).
Most importantly make sure the fit is right.

PS. What would you define as a 'good price' on a Cinder Cone? PM me.

Bodin

GMBC
One thing I've learnt from my experience of getting my girl on an MTB is that her comfort factor is more likely going to be decided by the seat and the riding position than the suspension.

My girl rode a borrowed HT for a while that she was quite comfortable on and once she was convinced she wanted an MTB, she went and bought a reasonably high end Trek Fuel that had colours that she liked.

Two stems, a seatpost and three saddles later, we've finally got a riding position that she likes. :rolleyes:

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
thanks for the replies guys!

her fitness level.....

umm

pretty low at the moment haha (im not far of it :( )

she doesnt have much skill level either as she really hasent done any MTB riding (last time she was on a bike was 3 years ago on the road)

i would rather not buy second hand also, rather her get a new bike with warrenty so if she breaks it i dont have to fix it! so HT is will be :D

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Bobby_Digital said:
i would rather not buy second hand also, rather her get a new bike with warrenty so if she breaks it i dont have to fix it! so HT is will be :D
Jebus!

How much does she weigh?