X-Fusion fork service & tools

RapidRob

Likes Bikes
Hey mob,

I'm preparing to send my X-Fusion McQueen forks in to my local shop in Castlemaine, VIC for their first service and would like some advice about this job (LBS hasn't serviced X-Fusion before):
I'm ordering the replacement seals direct from DIY MTB and a couple of tools specific to the damper. Is there any point in also purchasing oil, Slickoleum or other such consumables for the job, or are they best factored in by the shop into the servicing cost?
Seeing as my fork has the Roughcut HLR damper, I'm eyeing off the footnut removal tool and damper topcap removal tool too. Is there any alternative to purchasing these two niche tools that I’ll seldom use? Can I ask the shop to purchase these?
Sources for suggestions on tools:
Cheers

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
you need the foot nut removal tool, it’s cheap and will last you if keeping the forks for a while - the foot nut this short thread which hardly sticks out at all - the nut itself is very soft you cannot hit it at all-if it were me i’d service the lowers by yourself, and send the damper to duncan to service - you then drop the damper back in and screw it up, don’t purchase fluids/oil -jake tolland will have all that stuff, i deliberately put lighter susp fluid in my damper when replaced

RapidRob

Likes Bikes
you need the foot nut removal tool, it’s cheap and will last you if keeping the forks for a while - the foot nut this short thread which hardly sticks out at all - the nut itself is very soft you cannot hit it at all-if it were me i’d service the lowers by yourself, and send the damper to duncan to service - you then drop the damper back in and screw it up, don’t purchase fluids/oil -jake tolland will have all that stuff, i deliberately put lighter susp fluid in my damper when replaced
Wasn't aware that Duncan offers servicing, D'oh, that sounds like a good option when I want the damper serviced. At this point I'm thinking just the lowers, so will get it done in town. I'd do it myself if I had the space for it, but I have neither the suitable workspace nor the oils.
What weight oil did you put in Daniel and how's it go?

slowmick

38-39"
@RapidRob - I got Duncan to service my sweeps when the damper stopped working. je fixed the damper, changed the travel and serviced the forks (new seals and fluids). It was around $150 including return freight. The fork worked well when it returned but it was not set up for me like other tuning houses do. Was back in about a week.