VIC WTB: Crown race with 38mm ID

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Item: WTB: Crown race with 38mm ID & 45deg to match integrated lower bearing.
(Crown race ring that came with the integrated 1 1/8th- 1.5in headset has a touch under 40mm ID and doesn't have a snug fit at the base of the steerer.)
I'm building a road bike for fitness, and the tapered Avanti fork seems to have stupid proprietary (??) dimensions in the base of the steerer tube.
Price range: you tell me
Extra info: new or reasonable condition please. Also photo(s) and specs
also happy to be pointed to an online store or shop in Melb that might have the crown race I'm after.
Maybe I need some sort of shim, but don't want to cut up an aluminium can, prefer actual manufactured shim.

ForkinGreat

Give any of these dudes a call. One of them should have a race lying around.

I have put the calls and emails out, but come up with FA.
Even the Distro suggested that it was an old frame with an obsolete steerer standard and I was basically shit out of luck.

Thanks for allegedly ripping me off, Ray's bikes Preston Peni5ton. Cunts.

Maybe I Should have bought the Polygon disc road bike in the first place. Sometimes "saving money" is an illusion.

There are a couple of metal fabricators on RB, correct? I forget who, but maybe one of those champion humans could turn me up an alloy collar for the steerer tube that would fix the issue. A collar that's ID 38mm ish, OD just under 40mm

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Unfortunately, you'll probably find most LBS didn't even bother looking. No one can be bothered these days.
I had a look at work an in my own stazsh with no luck, but if I get the chance tomorrow, I'll pop into iRide in Ballarat and see what they have. They are long time Avanti dealers and top blokes. Got to be worth a look? I'll let you know.

ForkinGreat

Unfortunately, you'll probably find most LBS didn't even bother looking. No one can be bothered these days.
I had a look at work an in my own stazsh with no luck, but if I get the chance tomorrow, I'll pop into iRide in Ballarat and see what they have. They are long time Avanti dealers and top blokes. Got to be worth a look? I'll let you know.
Thanks Rusty

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Swung by Iride today and spoke with their mechanic Graham, who is a top bloke and knows his stuff. We worked together before I left to pastures new (not necessarily greener) and we maintain a good relationship.
He doesn't remember Avanti ever coming out with a proprietry race that had a diameter of 38mm inner, but that's not to say they didn't. A lot of tech was swapped between Scott and Avanti, when they were in bed together and the only thing he can think of is that they used an OEM headset and race by Ritchey, who were supplying Scott and Avanti back in the day. It may not have been branded Ritchey, but just made by them.

Alternatively (and this is something I have definately come across before), the manufacturer of the bike, in this case Avanti, would have used a 1mm spacer shim that would have slid over the steerer, to enable a 38mm inner race to be used. Now I know you have worked that out for yourself, but without actually tracking down the exact headset (which may not exist), I think a shim might be your best bet?

Sorry I cant be more help.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If a shim is something that is a cylinder 2 or 3mm high and 38 id and 40od then that is something that can be easily turned but the dimensions will need to be spot on.

ForkinGreat

If a shim is something that is a cylinder 2 or 3mm high and 38 id and 40od then that is something that can be easily turned but the dimensions will need to be spot on.
That's what I was thinking. There are a few lathe wizards on RB, I think. I just forget who they are just now. If it's a PITA, I won't hassle them to make me a shim, but it would save me a bunch of grief and $$$ on a new columbus fork.