WSMTB 4 hour serise, twilight round 1, (vampires optional) sat 19th nov,

OzDirtCast

Likes Bikes
Great race although my lights gave out on my seventh and last lap... only 10 seconds away from transition on the bike took ten minutes to stumble back home in the crazy darkness.

Will be treating myself to a new set of Ay-ups for xmas I reckon!

Zenith

Likes Bikes
A good evening to night race :) Great attitude from the other riders out there, some very polite Bike Minded riders as they flew past me as i tryed to get out of their way on the climbs :) :)

Although i did it in Pairs and was down the back of the field, my laptimes and avg pace were a lot quicker than i have done before. so i was happy..

The Heat was hard on the first lap on the climbs.. and i still did my quickest lap first.. and lost about 5 min a lap at night.. i think i need more night riding practice :) :)

My last lap in the night was the most interesting with a bit of scary mixed in, on the second half of the lap heading down from the tractor tyre just after the little wooden bridge i caught a guy whose lights had failed, so he followed me for the rest of the lap, i hope i didnt slow him down too much, but a bit after the nice enclosed section of trail with the wire bridge at the end we came around the corner and started up the little climb and there was a green python accross the track, i couldnt stop in time and just lifted my front wheel a bit at it went over the snake just behind its head, the guy following me stopped, i turned arround to give him some light to see the snake and it was gone. thankfully..

Bring on the next round.. i think its Solo time :) :)

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
A good evening to night race :) Great attitude from the other riders out there, some very polite Bike Minded riders as they flew past me as i tryed to get out of their way on the climbs :) :)

Although i did it in Pairs and was down the back of the field, my laptimes and avg pace were a lot quicker than i have done before. so i was happy..

The Heat was hard on the first lap on the climbs.. and i still did my quickest lap first.. and lost about 5 min a lap at night.. i think i need more night riding practice :) :)

My last lap in the night was the most interesting with a bit of scary mixed in, on the second half of the lap heading down from the tractor tyre just after the little wooden bridge i caught a guy whose lights had failed, so he followed me for the rest of the lap, i hope i didnt slow him down too much, but a bit after the nice enclosed section of trail with the wire bridge at the end we came around the corner and started up the little climb and there was a green python accross the track, i couldnt stop in time and just lifted my front wheel a bit at it went over the snake just behind its head, the guy following me stopped, i turned arround to give him some light to see the snake and it was gone. thankfully..

Bring on the next round.. i think its Solo time :) :)
i think the guy without lights behind you was BigDog, he told me a similar story

i had a snake momment too, after the wooden bridge back onto the trotting track
the snake, yellow and green carpet python? was on the track on the last bit of the trotting track beore you climb back onto the tar road
i tried to shoo it away but it wouldn't move, 2 other riders caught up, so i did a Steve Irwin and picked it up and chucked it in the grass
(which is a fully WIRES aproved method....)

notime

Likes Dirt
i think the guy without lights behind you was BigDog, he told me a similar story

i had a snake momment too, after the wooden bridge back onto the trotting track
the snake, yellow and green carpet python? was on the track on the last bit of the trotting track beore you climb back onto the tar road
i tried to shoo it away but it wouldn't move, 2 other riders caught up, so i did a Steve Irwin and picked it up and chucked it in the grass
(which is a fully WIRES aproved method....)
Stuff the snake, did anyone see the black panther at the first left hand corner of all the bends heading back up to transition? about lap 6 or 7 scared the crap out of me..

OK heat, exhaustion, darkness and fright may have made it look bigger than it was, but looked like a dog sized black cat..

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
That was me, thanks again for letting me sit on and babble for a bit, it was much appriciated! I'm glad I saw it was a carpet python you run over, cause my reaction was to stop, and yours was to go - for a couple of seconds it was me, a snake and darkness. If I didn't know it was a python I would have s^&t myself, which I'd already acheived when my lights failed at a fair rate of knots earlier on anyway......

Zenith

Likes Bikes
That was me, thanks again for letting me sit on and babble for a bit, it was much appriciated! I'm glad I saw it was a carpet python you run over, cause my reaction was to stop, and yours was to go - for a couple of seconds it was me, a snake and darkness. If I didn't know it was a python I would have s^&t myself, which I'd already acheived when my lights failed at a fair rate of knots earlier on anyway......
Thats ok anytime :) it was good to have some one to talk to out there :)

Slezoj

Likes Dirt
Wsmtb

Thank you WSMTB for organizing such a great event. We loved it last year, so we are back for more. After highland fling a said that I had enough racing this year so wanted to skip this race, but luckily I didn't. I have decided to take training pace from beginning. Actually I was forced to do it, because in my first 3 laps I lost all my bottles, so I was without water for a while. Every lap I stopped and collected my lost bottles to loose them on another rough section. At least I had realized that my bottle cages are rubbish and they need replacement. After 4th lap I decided to stop every lap and take one bottle into my back pocket and not to use bottle cages on my bike anymore. Then in 5th or 6th lap I had to stop again because some fellow rider on Merida Ninety Six Team -D crashed on that narrow bridge after those 2 twisty corners (don't know the name of this part of the track). I hope he is fine, because he was bleeding from his nose badly. Anyway after this short stop I started feeling replenished and was ready to speed up little bit, but this time I had to stop to take my second light (helmet). I was lucky that I did, because in my 6th lap rubber holding handlebar light cracked and light went straight into my front wheel. Thanks to strong TWE wheels i didn't break any spoke. This one was enough for me so I have decided ride safely with one light on the helmet to the end. I couldn't believe I came up second after all what happened.
Now I also would like to thank to all riders, for such a great behaviour on the course. Slow riders leaving enough space for fast riders and fast riders overtaking cautiously with thanks. It was a great race and I will be back for sure.

Thanks again WSMTB

JBR

Likes Dirt
Just read link posted above. I was the first guy mentioned who stopped and helped old mate out, straightened his bars up,etc.

Poor fella was in a prediciment when I found him. Totally tangled up, face down on the bridge, bike in the creek with one foot still attached. Once we determined nothing was broken on him I had to jump in the creek, untangle the bike then twist it to unclip him! Once past that point it was OK for me to laugh because it looked pretty funny/painful/funny draped across the bridge. Its lucky that he called out, because otherwise I wouldve parked my bike right in his clacker!

Good to hear he was OK.