Wrist Support

ja_har

Likes Dirt
I'm looking for something to support my wrist during riding. I fractured it at the Ourimbah state DH and I am as keen as to race the Sydney 4X (new bike an all) but need something that is comfortable to ride in but will support my wrist as good as possible. The cast came off 3 weeks ago put still feels a bit weak. I have tried some skate/snowboarding wrist guards but they feel too thick around the palm to hold the bars decently.

Anyone got some good ideas other than few decent layers of gaff around it.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
ja_har said:
I'm looking for something to support my wrist during riding. I fractured it at the Ourimbah state DH and I am as keen as to race the Sydney 4X (new bike an all) but need something that is comfortable to ride in but will support my wrist as good as possible. The cast came off 3 weeks ago put still feels a bit weak. I have tried some skate/snowboarding wrist guards but they feel too thick around the palm to hold the bars decently.

Anyone got some good ideas other than few decent layers of gaff around it.
What about just strapping it up? I nailed my wrist at Awaba and i strapped it enough so that i could still ski (handplants and grabs were doable, so i figure that riding would have been fine too)...?

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
When I broke my wrist a couple of years ago I got a stap up system from a chemist for around $25. It wrapped around the wrist, and had a metal splint that helped support the wrist should things go horribly wrong.

I think 661 also do a wrist guard of sorts, but I have no idea where you would get one.

Also, try a search, as I am sure there was a post quite a while ago on this.

Adam 74

Likes Dirt
I broke my wrist and ended up with a screw getting put in last year. I've found using a standard roller blading wrist guard with the bottom piece of plastic removed works well. Without the bottom piece in you can still grip the handle bars but your wrist will have restricted movement when bent backwards. Most spills will end up with you putting your hand out to stop your fall. I just wear it over my gloves.

MrSheen

Likes Bikes
I have a mate who snapped his rather severely at bulla at christmas time, ended up with pins and screws etc.... he found a pair of Fox bike gloves that have a 2 inch strap (built in) that wraps around the wrist. seems to provide heaps of support. It does look a bit gimp-like though, as its all black leather........ Keeps him happy & riding though!