Woodman Saturn? Install it to Uranus.

Just wanted to warn anyone who is thinking about using a woodman headset and actually intending to ride on anything more challenging than a city council manicured bike path.

I've had a Woodman Saturn headset fitted to my cannondale rush by a 'professional mechanic' (jury is still out on that one - I won't say which shop) for about 4-5 months. This is the model which lets you run a standard 1 1/18 fork with the o.s. headset diameter found on most 'dales.

I've been waiting for some good riding weather, so it's has'nt even seen the dirt yet.

I noticed today that after doing some very light drop offs (max. 500mm) that the bottom cup has actually crumpled enough to cause binding against their weird bearing plates.

It's piece of garbage and waste of aluminium if you ask me.

It goes without saying that i'll be replacing with a CK - anyone have feedback on the i4 / i5 when used with a 'dale??

redbruce

Eats Squid
It goes without saying that i'll be replacing with a CK - anyone have feedback on the i4 / i5 when used with a 'dale??
"It goes without saying", what that you've got more money than sense.

CK is good but from a pragmatic cost effective standpoint overkill. there are plenty of time proven quality sets like cane creek.

OT

Likes Dirt
I had a woodman headset for about 5 years which was used on 3 bikes for mostly DH. I never had a problem with it. It was the best headset I've had. I sold the bike it was on but I expect it would still be working fine and still with its original bearings. My current bike has a hope headset which also hasn't given me any problems, I'll be happy if it lasts like the woodman.

The bottom cup with the needle bearings between the plates helped keep the headset feel really smooth. I think your problem was most likely an installation error.

0psi

Eats Squid
Also keep in mind that the alloy and carbon rush's (at least the last gen ones) have different headtube ID's. It's amazing how many Crapondale dealers don't know this.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Nothing to add, except that's probably the best thread title I've seen around here in a while. Nice.