Wombat Track Woodend

racerm

Squid
Rode this track for the first time on Saturday, and as a bit of newbie, I was extremely thankful for the sign-age, otherwise I would've felt really lost - great job in setting this all up.

Such a great place to ride!

Stew41

Likes Bikes
has anyone 'garmined' the 50km or 100km loops for this year's race?

The 50km appears to have none of the singletrack around the dam and Taylors d Rd trail head area. On the other hand the 100km seems to have retained sections of the Wombat single track loop?

Timbot

Likes Dirt
correction

Is it me or have the scales finally tipped in favour of MTB facilties? All of a sudden DSE/Parks etc are spending up big on putting some sweet trails in. Lystie, woodend, kinglake. :)
Dse are not involved in Lystie or kinglake.Its parks.

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
I went out to wombat today for a ride and had a few questions about the signage. I saw signs for trail 1 and then there was a fork where trail 1 goes left and 2 right. I did a loop of trail 1 and that was about 9kms which was good fun. The second time i went around I went to go down trail 2, but had a mechanical so had to walk it back to the wombat dam....

If I would have ridden trail 1 and then gone right and done trail 2, would that have been the full "wombat loop"? If not, where does trail 2 lead to? Are there any maps that show where trail 1 and 2 goes?

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
trail 2 would have been the full loop. It ends up bringing you back about 50m away from that fork in the track.

440Hz

Cannon Fodder
Wombat Forest Track Woodend

That is fantastic news. The more we have DSE behind the sport the better quality trails we will have to enjoy that will last into the future.
Everybody likes to scratch out their own 'backyard track', but properly built and maintained trails ensure the future of our sport.

Great job!!!

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Was out there last week. Fantastic trails!!! We neglected to bring a map (thought the trailhead signs were up, but alas no), but still figured it all out

If you haven't ridden Woodend, and own a XC/AM bike, get out there and give it a go!!!

jossa

Likes Bikes
Friday arvo

Anyone riding out at Wombat this Friday?

It is probably a long shot being a weekday, but I've got the day off work and I'll be out that way.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Can someone or Russ provide a trail quality update? Just wondering with the rain we've had and more forecast for the weekend has Wombat's become muddy yet?

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can someone or Russ provide a trail quality update? Just wondering with the rain we've had and more forecast for the weekend has Wombat's become muddy yet?
Its been a bit wet out here, but not too bad. I havent ridden the trail, but the other ones around here were drier yesterday than they were on sunday.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Rode it on Sunday 13th (starting at would you believe 6:20am under lights!!!!) was delightfully tacky, just few puddles/ruts, but awesome (and watching dawn light up the forest is surreal and delightful). Not at all slippery/wet as such. Was pissing down in Melbourne, but no rain (in the morning at least) out there.

Highlight of the weekend, after a spin around boring Lytsy (first time back there in probably 2 years).

Last edited:

Lyon4

Cannon Fodder
Track Works

Some track works are currently underway to address some drainage and erosion issues. DSE crew are currently consolidating some wet spots around Ford Track. The WMBT remains open during the works but riders should note that the crushed rock will be a bit loose while it settles. We will monitor the track condition but if riders could assist by 1. avoid excessive braking or turning on crushed rock and 2. rake over wheel ruts if you have the time. I will post some photos later this week when works are complete.

Some new track construction will commence this week to re-align several sections of track where excessive gradient is contributing towards track erosion. All of these re-alignments are around the Gisborne Creek area (start/finish of riding loop). Again, no disruption to riding is anticipated.

Stew41

Likes Bikes
Has there been any noticeable change to moto damage post the signs going in place? Notwithstanding the MTB traffic on the marked trails during the Wombat 100 I still saw a number of these d^%#heads riding the single track...................

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Group ride this weekend

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to arrange a group ride this Sunday out at Wombat. It's been at least a year since I was out there last, so I'm a bit out of touch with the locals. Is there anything planned for this Sunday which might clash with a fairly casual group ride from about 10.30 onwards?

I note the comments above re trail-work - I have lent my hand up there a couple of times, a year or two back, and I really appreciate the work that goes into its maintenance. Any tips for the weekend would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Emerson

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to arrange a group ride this Sunday out at Wombat. It's been at least a year since I was out there last, so I'm a bit out of touch with the locals. Is there anything planned for this Sunday which might clash with a fairly casual group ride from about 10.30 onwards?

I note the comments above re trail-work - I have lent my hand up there a couple of times, a year or two back, and I really appreciate the work that goes into its maintenance. Any tips for the weekend would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Emerson
So, no-one rides Wombat any more? Or is it the new Fight Club...?

ADD

Likes Dirt
So, no-one rides Wombat any more? Or is it the new Fight Club...?
Haha. I wouldn't mind a ride out there on Sunday but I have to drive my GF to work in the morning and probably won't get there until close to midday maybe.

stoo

Likes Dirt
My mate and I rode the 20 loop today ( first time for me ), what an ace track!!!
We met Russell out there building tracks, 'seems to be a nice bloke doing great things.
Can't wait to get back there....
have fun on Sunday cobber.