Winno's monochrome Rocky Mountain XC/trail weapon

Winno

Likes Dirt
Pretty damn excited about this build.
I've been on an On-One carbon Whippet hardtail for the last few months and loved every minute of it.

At a recent XC race series up here in Paradise though, a couple of competitors were pushing around on Rocky Mountain Element MSL dual suspension bikes. I'd been considering a move back to a dually and I fell in love with the fit and feel of the RMs immediately. There was no adjustment period when moving from one bike (the Whippet) to another (the RM) - it just fit right straight away and soaked up the bumps.

Decision made - I'd order one but, I purchased the 100mm travel RSL instead (MSLs are 120mm travel with slacker angles).
I wanted something that still had a strong XC feel to it so I ordered the RSL version.
All Element MSL/RSL frames are the same. The shock and linkage determine the bike type and travel.
The RSL also allows a 650b conversion with plenty of seat tube clearance and no loss of travel should I want to go down this road later.

Anyway, the build is as follows:

Frame - Rocky Mountain Element RSL (medium/18") 26er with Ti hardware kit.
Rear shock - Fox Float Kashima RP23 (165x38)
Front shock/fork - Magura TS8 R100
Handlebars -Raceface Next SL flat riser*
Stem - Raceface Turbine 60mm/-6 degree*
Headset - FSA Orbit tapered
Grips - Raceface Straffe lock-on
Saddle - Selle Italia SLR TT*
Seatpost - Raceface Next SL (30.9)
Front brake - Hope Tech 3 / X2 with 160mm floating rotor*
Rear brake - Hope Tech 3 / X2 with 160mm floating rotor*
Cranks - Raceface Turbine with 34T Raceface NW single ring*
Chainguide - C-Guide chainstay mounted*
Chain - Shimano XTR*
Pedals - Shimano XT race*
Front derailleur - n/a
Rear derailleur - Shimano XTR carbon cage (non-clutch)*
Front shifter - n/a
Rear shifter - Shimano XTR iSpec*
Cassette - Shimano XT 10sp - 11-36 with Hope 40T REX*
Wheelset - Spinergy Xyclone Disc 26er with PBO fibre spokes*
Axles - Hope 9mm quick release*
Tyres - Maxxis Ardent Race - 23psi front and 27psi rear*
Tubes - generic*
Other - 3M frame skin, Jagwire Road Elite fully sealed shifter cables
Total weight - Just sneaks in under 10kg.

* parts xfered from the Whippet.
All other bits are new and ordered.

Update: 24 December

Bits have been turning up here and there over the last week or so and what I thought was going to be a new year build has been finished on Christmas eve after a few late nights in the bike shed. I had a hiccup with the Raceface Next seatpost I'd ordered being the wrong colour and finish but as luck would have it, I managed to offload it and pick up the older version (better match to the frame and the handle bar) in the same day - thanks Koma for the great deal.

Anyway, perfect weather up here again so I took some pics...

The paint finish on the frame is awesome! In some light, the UD carbon shows through,

And in other light, the metallic grey finish does its sparkly thing

A shot of the cockpit

And finishing up with the back end

I'm running 70psi in the fork and 170psi in the shock on the back. The suspension action is very active and the Propedal seems to work well when activated.

Looking forward to riding it in anger at Nerang Forest next week.

About the only thing I'd change out now would be the Turbine cranks for some Next carbons. Very happy with everything else.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

beejay

Likes Dirt
There's nothing like a brand spanking new shiny frame to get the juices flowing :eyebrows:
Custom build all the way :rockon:

Winno

Likes Dirt
FSA headset arrived from the USA today.
Very quick shipping - was expecting it a few days before Christmas.

Anyway, this allowed me to fit the fork, wheels, cockpit and brakes. The brake hoses are a bit short for this frame so it's just as well I have a new braided kit on the way from Chain Reaction.

I'm still waiting on the new Next SL seatpost and shifter cable kit that's on the way but it's starting to look like a bike now.
I may also need to add a couple of links back into the chain as it's pretty tight when in the 40T at the back and when the suspension is cycled.
I also spoke to NSDynamics today about new DU bushes for my shock which didn't come with any. Will be easy peasy apparently.

Pics tomorrow as it was dark by the time I finished tonight.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a lovely and promising looking build. The RM's are great bikes from what I hear out of folks on the trails. It's also a testament to RM that you can run 27.5 wheels without compromising travel. Does it affect BB height and therefore handling at all?
Anyway, a great looking bike and I look forward to seeing the ride report.

Winno

Likes Dirt
Thanks man.
Kinda in limbo right now while the seat post is on the way and while I'm having some shock bushings sorted.
Bit frustrating but what can you do?

It's also a testament to RM that you can run 27.5 wheels without compromising travel. Does it affect BB height and therefore handling at all?
I've no doubt that BB height will be raised.
But there is a benefit here. The Element RSL has been criticised (about its only criticism really) for a low BB and some riders have complained of regular pedal strikes because of this.

So, the added height could be seen as a benefit. I'm sure I could adjust to the change in handling.

Winno

Likes Dirt
Next SL seat post arrived (it's matt grey and NOT black - grrrrr!).
Seat clamp, new hydro lines, grips, chainstay protector, brake pads all turned up too.

So, two sessions in the bike shed saw rear brake line trimmed and moved to the front, new rear line fitted, chain lubed and shifting tuned to perfection, fork steerer cut and fork refitted.

Will pick up some DOT fluid tomorrow and flush the brake lines and bleed. Will also start setting up the fork and shock.

Minlak

custom titis
Get the 5.1 fluid and I am sure you already know but get it from an autoshop I got Penrite 5.1 500mls for $12 bike shops / motorcycle shops wanted $18 for 250mls. The only shops up here that had it were motorcycle shops. The Sunshine Coast every shop had it.

Nice lookng build the seat post color going to be fixed?

Winno

Likes Dirt
Yeah, was gunna hit up Supercheap near me. I used Motul last time and the bit I have left is about 8 years old and probably full of water now.

Going to live with grey on the seat post for now but would consider a swap for the older glossy black one if someone wants a brand new 2014 post.

Winno

Likes Dirt
Finally got the last piece of this build today - the seat post.
Wacked it in and after a quick check on air pressures, the bike got a quick spin in the street.

Very nice to be on a dually again. Feels just like the On-One Whippet except softer on the back.

Bit more tuning and some pics tomorrow.

Winno

Likes Dirt
And this bike is not just a show pony...here it is, all 10.8kg, being ridden in anger at this past weekend's Wild West race in South East Qld.

Steve Wild West race 2 Walloon 8 Feb 2015.jpg

And it performed absolutely flawlessly.

Last edited: