Wild Horizons Highland Fling - Entry Update

agoer

Likes Dirt
Almost sounds like there is a a market for another 50/100 km ride like the Doctor/Fling/DW some time during the year.
I think it/they will only get worse (as in sold out quicker and quicker) as next year rolls around.

G

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im trying to work out why it sold out so quickly. the fling has been around for while and its a great race but 1500 entries in one day is huge I though Angry doctor was quick

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Im trying to work out why it sold out so quickly. the fling has been around for while and its a great race but 1500 entries in one day is huge I though Angry doctor was quick
I asked the exact same question today too. Why is this year so very different? More riders in MTB is part (all) of the answer I guess.

Still very curious about it. All bar one of my mates missed out this year.

Its even odder when you consider how many mtb events are on this year compared to years past. How many weekends in NSW is there not a race of some sort on? Not too many I'd wager.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
I asked the exact same question today too. Why is this year so very different? More riders in MTB is part (all) of the answer I guess.

Its even odder when you consider how many mtb events are on this year compared to years past. How many weekends in NSW is there not a race of some sort on? Not too many I'd wager.
But there's been a big hole in the NSW enduro calendar what with the lack of a real 8hr series. Maybe a case of many collectively itchy palms?

Also, i think it's becoming more apparent to many people that 100km is not beyond their grasp so the format is becoming more and more appealing to the punters. Everyone's mate and their dad have managed to finish one so it can't be that hard, right? And compared to a 6-8hr enduro it is a much more quantifyable and hence a much more satisfying accomplishment. At the same time the base of repeat customers is growing so there are just more people coming back so there's massive demand.

Still, pretty impressive to see it go so fast and i'm glad i got my entry sorted nice and early...

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are simply more people getting in to MTB.
More people wanting to get into competitive mtb maybe.
You are on the money there Cha. the death or should i say weak pulse of a consistent 8 hour series plays a big part. I've deliberately avoided that series because I can't lock in dates and i think a lot of people have done the same. i want to be able at the start of the year open up my diary and say these are the events i want to do this year, so i applaud those promoters who announce their dates early.
I will say though a-lot of people have put their hands up to fill the void of the 8 hour series. Off the top of my head Vestal Virgin Classic, Sydney 24 , RT grand Prix, Wannaride 8 hours, Merida x-fusion 6 hour, Tathra Challange, Three Ring Circus, Mountains to the Beach, Cracken Back enduro and Capital Punishment are all new events that have popped up this year, where as we have only lost one race from the 8 hour series.
Your point about 100kms races is also true for example ive signed up for angry doctor and highland fling this year where as 18 months ago i though all people who did those races were madmen/women. I think its great, and I think we are fortunate that things have turned around so quickly, i remember complaining at the start of the year about the lack of events. I think this will possibly lead to better quality events as the market is so competitive and people can simply vote with their feet, and by the sounds of it there is a stampead towards wild horizon events

Last edited:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
But there's been a big hole in the NSW enduro calendar what with the lack of a real 8hr series. Maybe a case of many collectively itchy palms?
Fair point.

What it says to me is there has probably never been a better time to start up your own event management company and run a 100km race.

749dark

Likes Dirt

The atmosphere down there is great as it's very family orientated and friendly. I think its been mentioned earlier that mountain biking is very popular nowadays so naturally racing is also becoming more popular too.

Glad the mrs and I got our entries in. Looking forward to it.

jab80

Likes Bikes
Got a reminder email from Shaman this morning, got my entry at about 9:45. Just snuck in I think. 100 miles of smiles! Woo Hoo!:D

onyabike

Likes Bikes
Spewing

Well I missed it, no entry for me but if anyone feels there not up to it between now and November let me know. :(

Cheers

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Brindabella Epic

Fair point.

What it says to me is there has probably never been a better time to start up your own event management company and run a 100km race.
Um. It may sound opportunistic, but the concept of a Canberra marathon has been in the pipeline for a while, so we might as well come clean.

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC) will run a marathon on the ANZAC Day weekend in 2010. Gestation continues, so the baby is as yet unnamed. We're thinking Brindabella Epic or something similar, since it'll be similar to the Brindabella Challenge from 2006 (remember that one?). We also need to continue with the tradition of ANZAC Day Epics.

It's actually 2 races: A 100(ish)k race that starts and finishes at Stromlo Forest Park and runs out to Bulls Head in the Brindabella Ranges; A shorter 50k race that starts at Bulls Head (about 1300m) and finishes at SFP (aw, you miss all the climbing). Transport packages will be offered for 50k participants.

More teasers to come, probably in a new thread.

chops007

Likes Dirt
the numbers????

just imagine if there was not a cap on numbers.... wow wat a buzz at the start line that would be....

maybe one day...

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Um. It may sound opportunistic, but the concept of a Canberra marathon has been in the pipeline for a while, so we might as well come clean.

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC) will run a marathon on the ANZAC Day weekend in 2010. Gestation continues, so the baby is as yet unnamed. We're thinking Brindabella Epic or something similar, since it'll be similar to the Brindabella Challenge from 2006 (remember that one?). We also need to continue with the tradition of ANZAC Day Epics.

It's actually 2 races: A 100(ish)k race that starts and finishes at Stromlo Forest Park and runs out to Bulls Head in the Brindabella Ranges; A shorter 50k race that starts at Bulls Head (about 1300m) and finishes at SFP (aw, you miss all the climbing). Transport packages will be offered for 50k participants.

More teasers to come, probably in a new thread.
Don't leave us hanging too long.

ido09s

Likes Dirt
Being unemployed sux! I slept in and didnt check entries till a tad after 12 :(

If anyone here is wanting to sell a half fling entry i will buy it :)

And i also know someone who is after a full fling entry

gixer7

Likes Dirt
And i also know someone who is after a full fling entry
I'll raise. I have 5 mates who missed out and after entries.

I wonder given the demand if Huw would want to try or is able to get the rider cap lifted by another hundred or so.