Why was this ride so much better?

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I had the opportunity to test the 2015 Trek remedy 9 27.5 (Fox 34 performance, fox performance float) today at a demo and wow, I was really blown away. My current bike is a 2013 Norco sight killer b 2 (150mm revelation, fox float ctd). Im 93kg and like to bomb the downhills these were the comparisons I can make to my Norco.

1). Front fork resisted deflection extremely well
2). Wasn't phased by overly rough sections and chatter.
3). Steering wasn't sketchy in berms
4). Extremely balanced in the air and very easy to jump.

I never had to fight the bike to make it do what I wanted it to do. Now I'm aware that 1). is most definitely due to the better stiffness of the fox fork but what about the other points? I want a bike that is stable and confident on the downhills (Hence why the new reign is my dream bike).

So my question is, do i keep the norco and put a pike on the front? or do i start looking for a whole new bike because the norcos geo and linkage design will never give me the same feeling of the remedy. I am wondering if the better feeling was solely due to upgrade suspension or if the linkage and geo of the remedy also played a big part. Because I believe my norco is longer but doesn't have the same stability.

Any advice or insight is appreciated

markgab

Likes Dirt
Could it be treks new RE: technology?
Have yet to try :((

My guess..
Fork: 34/35 > 32
When i made the change, i didn't look back.
Also treks drcv rear shock is as smooth as butter!
Which correlates to your 2) & 4) points.
Having a stiffer and plush fork does help in rough corners, but would the fronts plushness match the rear?
(Taking stem and handlebars are of same length)

I'd say looking another another bike and see which linkage system you prefer.

clockworked

Like an orange
it's because it's new and you're excited.

it may even be as simple as everything on the new bike being well greased and serviced - maybe drop a few on your bike to get it thoroughly serviced, suspension and all?

that being said - my '14 remedy is fucking incredible. I got the 'no skills' optional extra pack and opted for the 29'' wheels though

Warp

Likes Dirt
it's because it's new and you're excited.
This may be the case indeed.

As others have said, go over your bike and ask yourself what you really do not like about it. Now that you have a better/different benchmark it should be easier to find out.

Good luck... but most of these cases end up with a new bike anyways. Been there, done that.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone, Excitement seems like a big role but I am confident that the bike was honestly just way better. Having a hard time deciding whether it was because of the fork or the bike.

markgab

Likes Dirt
It's the bike!
For duals i own a trek 'float', giant 'float', polygon 'talas' & ellsworth 'float' all 32mm fox fronts.
At first I thought it's my forks/rear shocks that needs servicing, but after $ spent... I was wrong.
When I ride my bikes, they all feel and perform differently... though they are all classified/marketed as trail bikes.

It's all about preference, is the weather changing your preference? lol *jokes --> http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/tc/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad-topic-overview
When I switched one of my bike to a 34mm, I felt more confident going into corners and fork felt stiffer.
Then again i'm 90kg's so a 32mm would be flexy for me.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Everything already mentioned, short stem, wide bars, fatter stanchions, new for lube and I'll add, probably slacker head angle and maybe lowerBB height, well whole geo really from seat post angle to chain stay length but mainly head angle.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Mate, the answers in your original post,
You liked the bike that much, you should just sell the bike you have now and
buy the trek