Why people bag out Konas/ The reverse chic trend in MTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was the advertising 'cooler' back then than it is now ?

Have Kona targeted themselves at a different catagory of rider(s) ?

I think the Kona Advertising for the past 3+ years has been pure shyte.

I think old school konas are cool also.

You might be onto something here Carlin....
I've been looing through all my old Kona catalogues recently and really I'd have to say their advertising style hasn't changed a lot nor has their adaptation to certain technologies - eg they were very slow to move from top mount shifters to rapid fires.

Their bike speccing philosophy also hasn't changed a lot with a mix and match of parts always being the order of the day too.

Paint jobs graphics have always chnaged regularly to suit the current fashion or refresh the image form the splatter paints of the late 80s onwards too.

So in reality the only thing that really looks to have changed is the dropping of all the really cool Hawaian Island bike names and the streamlining of the dee lux and primo versions - which is one thing I miss the most about the current Konas along with custom coloured Marzocchi's to match the frames.

kx250f

Likes Bikes
i have only just found this thread and this probably won't make any differance and is a pretty dumb example but look at cam white
he has some of or the biggest dj's in australia and came second at the dew tour and he rides a mongoose frame

i have built up a cowan from scratch and i think it rides pretty good and so do my mates

man up

Curlz12

Likes Dirt
pfft Kona aren't mainstream, if it was mainstream like dunlop and repco you'd see kids everywhere with them.
Giant yukon and ricon are popular because they're cheap but their more exspensive stuff is good as.
Kona and Giant are damn good companies.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
To play a stereotype, take Goths, emos, punks, and nerds, who sit in their room all day, scorning those cool kids who go out, party, and get drunk and laid.

For some reason, this group tends to be quite common on Farkin. The cool kids – they mountainbiking equivalents of the kids who party – they’re out riding.

i think we know which group Bowlo belongs to then

McPete

Likes Dirt
I have a foot in both camps.

My current bike, the 2008 STP0 is the generic dirt jumper. It's bone stock, save for the Minions. It's a great bike, very chuckable, and to be honest, I don't give a rat's ass if your Kona/Specialized/Commencal/Nicolai/Buggati is quicker, lighter or more pimp. I like my little STP.

However, being the mass-produced items they are, you begin to notice little shortcuts, a few niggles. The welds on the STP are, bluntly, quite messy. The pedals are shockingly bad, and are a major let-down. The seat is wrong for sitting on, won't get out of the way completely and is generally annoying.

What is interesting though, is that every time I go riding, people comment on what a nice bike the STP is. BMX guys, roadies, hardcore DHers, little old ladies (I kid you not!) all seem to like the STP. Go figure.

So my next bike, I'm thinking will be a Jamis Dakar XAM, or an Avanti D8. Why?
For some reason, I want some thing a bit different, something that I can make my own. I want strange gear that most people wouldn't run, simply due to brand name. Hayes Strokers anyone? Suntour DuroLuxes (aka; the poor man's Totem). The ano red pedals I saw at the LBS. Velocity Psycho wheelset.

Something a bit different. Why? Why shold you care, it's my bike for christ's stake! :p

As to percieved brand love/hate, I don't hate any brands, although I don't know many. I'd not buy a Huffy, but that's simply because they don't make anything that stands up to the type of riding we do. I do quite like Apollo though, even if they aren't making many decent MTBs at the moment.

P.

Last edited:

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I own a 07 stp 0 and the only reason stp are so comon is because that they are great bikes and a dirt cheap price. I do see a fair thew stp but localy there not a lot of 0. If there are i dont give a crap there great bikes at agreat price.

tu plang

knob
I'm not going to read through it all again, but did anyone even care to mention that the original post was the biggest load of shit ever?

dissa

Likes Dirt
;)Sorry peepz this is cutting into riding time. If it rolls on one wheel, two wheels, three wheels,four wheels etc... See what you can do with it ! Its Fun anyway.

Last edited:

Wonder Boy

Banned
My theory.

I own a 07 stp 0 and the only reason stp are so comon is because that they are great bikes and a dirt cheap price. I do see a fair thew stp but localy there not a lot of 0. If there are i dont give a crap there great bikes at agreat price.
I have recently purchased a Norco Six Three just 2 days ago and I get bagged to the max already. I ask people "Why do you think they are so bad?"
The answer:
"Because It's a Norco"
I find it really annoying.
The reason is that they really ARE such a great bike and that a lot of people are jealous.
Think about.
My bike a Norco Six Three.
Compared with say a Giant Reign X.

Norco Six Three: $2000

Giant Reign: $4000

The components on the Reign are better but if you compare them, the Six Three's components are n't all that much worse.

Money is n't everything.
Many people are just jealous of people who ride Norcos and Konas.

Norco and Kona make absolutely awsome bikes.
My friend has a kick ass Kona Stinky:

People who dont like other people's bikes are just idiots.
If someone does nt like your bike look on the brightside.
If you like it then that's all that matters.

So next time someone bags you out for having a Kona or a Norco they are most probaly jealous.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Oh dear God. If I had the energy I'd go back and ban everyone who contributed to this thread being reborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.