Why oh Why?

wtr

Likes Dirt
I just don't get it.

Why is it that most street riders these days run without a front brake???

What is it? Fashion? I mean, seriously, if you don't want to tangle up your brake cables, you can always run a hollow starnut and a longer rear cable. But WHY, take the front brake off? And if you think disc brakes are heavy, why not just stick with V???? Most of you brake power comes from the front, so why discard that power???

For me it's simplicity. And I hardly use a front brake.

When I had one I relied on it a fair bit, and pulled simple things like endos onto crapola.

When I go hydro I'll put a front brake on, well maybe.

i have often wondered that myself i guess in some cases like pattos (patto_15) he broke his brake and caant be bothered replacing i see it as a necessity(sp) for anything other than dj and a must have for street im confused

hardtail free rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh originaly i was only running a back brake only because i couldnt afford a front. then i bought new ones, and bent the front lever and went back to only having a back break.

i think its mostly about not needing it. riding street/dj you never really go that fast, so a front brake is not nessesary.

but then again why wouldnt you run one? you can do cool tricks such as endo's, front wheel skids, and such.....(sarcasm)

really im not too sure, i dont because i dont need it.

demo man

Used to be cool.
X-ups is i guess part of it, but like said above, you could just run a hollow starnut.

and yeah, a lot of people who street ride will probably dirt jump too, more than likely on the same bike.

i think it's mostly laziness, to be honest!

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ran back brake only for a while as my front wasnt working. I found it a really good expirience, as i learn so many rear wheel tricks while riding like that (such as ababucas). It took me out of my comfort zone and pushed me by not allowing any easy things like endos.
I really suggest any all round riders try not touching their front brake for 2 weeks or so, and see how their riding goes.

hardtail free rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rexy said:
i learn so many rear wheel tricks while riding like that (such as ababucas). It took me out of my comfort zone and pushed me by not allowing any easy things like endos.QUOTE]

are you saying you cant abubca with a front brake?

Spoolin

Likes Dirt
I think that it has become a fad.....

I havnt put my front brake on becuase....im lazy.
Although, I do find it easier to barspin, as you can grab the bar cleanly, and not grab the front lever.
That and I can also 'try' and turndown and not have the lever hitting my leg.

I find it hard to ride street without one though...but I think its becuase im used to a trials bike, where you rely on brakes alot.

Once I get off my bum, I will put the front brake on.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
originally i ditched it when i was running m-475 brakes, they were next to useless and they weighed a ton. now i just run an xt 4-pot rear brake and i love it. it makes the front end so much cleaner and on a rigid SS bike it just adds to the simplicity. at first i kept grabbing for it when i was stopping but that was all, i'm used to it now and i dunno, i might run a front some time soon on my street bike, i might not. i don't really feel i need it on my bike for trialsy type moives because i have my trials bike for that. i found it helped a fair bit with bike control, especially on the trials bike, makes the front brake sort of a luxury. I'm rambling. The end.

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
who cares?

That's like asking why people ride without helmets, or run only one chainring.
It suits them and in the end it doesn't matter. I don't care, lt hem ride whatever they want...

Seriously, all you townhillers and jibbers can just piss off. So sick of you all, your lame, get a BMX and some real skills. Gutter grinds just dont cut the mustard, losers...

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
wind ding brutha said:
Seriously, all you townhillers and jibbers can just piss off. So sick of you all, your lame, get a BMX and some real skills. Gutter grinds just dont cut the mustard, losers...

People like yourself will be the death of this sport

got any pics to show us your skill ?

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
geez thats a freaken pathetic excuse to be too poor, or too lazy!

when it comes down to it with dedicated street bike with one brake, who are actually riden by dedicated street riders would be able to say, most of the time u dont need front brakes...its like bmxers, some do, but most dont!

u can ride park with out a front, it does look cleaner, it lightens a bike up a little bit, but its really not necessary. street isnt about just dropping of legdes like i see so many of u guys doing, u can be creative, yeah u can do abubacas, but u can still use ur front wheel stuff with out a brake, foot jams, and actually just having general balance! seth kimbrough, rides complete brakeless, and can do so much front end stuff....G-turns, nose tricks, aswell as all the rear end stuff with out the breaks at all! when it comes done to it, its not necessary, when u have skills!
i do ride with front brakes, as my jump bikes my 4crosser and i need it for racing etc, but i can nose manual with out it and do nose bonks and nose taps brakeless!

geez too lazy, no money.......... shakes head.....

Disco

Likes Dirt
Nothing to do with the fact Shimano had no option <$150 to mount a BR-M555 Direct mount caliper to Marzocchi DJ1's... So untill I managed to get one made up I had no other option (Hella no, I'm not buying another disc in the meantime!)

Michael