Why boot fitting racks are crap

bazza

look at me
Ok so more so user error than anything else however, as a good tradesman does, he blames his tools. To the bottom line of the story, webbing on the boot fitting style of racks only has a short and limited lifespan before it needs replacing. This is more so the case when you are placing heavy loads upon it. Today driving up to some tracks along the highway mine decided it would snap. Was very dramatic seeing a full loaded rack with 3 bikes on it hit the highway at 120km/hr.........and also very sad. However on the brightside the total damage bill was only
1 broken front wheel (just an entry level one) due to a pedal snapping through some spokes
1 bent hanger and possibly a totalled xt rear mech
1 wtb seat which now looks very sad
1 damaged crank bros mallet c pedal, which after riding on it all day seems to be ok, just missing a large section of its external casing
So all up wasn't so bad for the very dramatic events that occured!
So. To all the boys and girls out there, either 1. do not use boot fitting racks or 2. ensure your webbing/straps are in good condition and 3. bikes do not like hitting the highway at great speeds.

We ended up fixing up the damaged and still managed to have a great ride though!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sad story.. very lucky not greater damage. I bet you expected to see a lomp of amngled metal when you got out of the car...

I have used these type of racks and captain paranoia made me imagine what it would be like for the bike to hit the road at speed. Consoled myself that it wouldn't actually happen... well now captain paranoi may win.

matty hall

Likes Dirt
oh they make these really cool ones they bolt on to the roof racks thats the bike that bolt on the the roof racks it works really good and Probably wont fall of on the high way ;);)
http://www.modpod.co.nz/images/accessories/Roof-bike-rack.jpg
like this but on the car

I have two of them on my car, they were all sweet when i used them for road bike and my old dj bike. Then i got 20mm forks and im screwed. :p

Does anyone know of 20mm roof style bike rack.

Nathan_

Likes Dirt
interesting read..

im just about to embark down the same route, regarding a strap on carrier..

Thanks for the links boys

*thumbs up*