Who's commuting?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
After spending a day bunting around Rottnest Island yesterday on a crappy rental ebike, I'm wondering whether I can make the jump from using my car to e-commuting.
My office is about 25km from home and currently takes me ~45 minutes to drive as the freeway is bloody awful.
My question is what are you commuting on, and how long does it go? Is it a viable alternative to a car?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After spending a day bunting around Rottnest Island yesterday on a crappy rental ebike, I'm wondering whether I can make the jump from using my car to e-commuting.
My office is about 25km from home and currently takes me ~45 minutes to drive as the freeway is bloody awful.
My question is what are you commuting on, and how long does it go? Is it a viable alternative to a car?
I am serious considering it.
The drive to the office about 16km and use to be 20 mins drive and maybe a 5 min walk ( max ) depending on how close I can park.

Now with freeway traffic at 60km per hour and no where to park it is more like 1 hour door to door.

I can do that hour trip on my commuter bike and could shave back more time on an ebike or at least save energy so I am not to shagged for a mid week mtb ride. I am suppose to be in the office 3 days a week and get in there about 2 days on the bike.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'm guessing there's a number of factors including path/protected lane connectivity, your clothing, bike parking and wash/change facilities at work.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Not as often as I would like but when I do I am now using this. One way of my journey is 26km, 350m elevation and the best I have done is 48 minutes so I would say it's definitely a viable option for you.

PJO

in me vL comy
Only way I get to work is by bike, but a much shorter distance than you're proposing. 9km and takes about 25min (~22km/h).
I have a Surly Ogre with panniers, have commuted by road bike (sans panniers) also but not having a load on your back is much nicer.
My ride has only one small hill, I have great end of ride facilities, including covered secure bike parking, showers and lockers. It makes sense, I can't get to work any faster by driving unless I pay a heap for parking close by and the bus is no faster either because it is not door to door, but you do need to factor in getting changed and showered.

25km is very doable and should be around an hour with an ebike. The ebike will "flatten out" any hills, but wouldn't expect your average speed to be any more than 25km/h unless your ebike is somehow modified.

Rorschach

I'm guessing there's a number of factors including path/protected lane connectivity, your clothing, bike parking and wash/change facilities at work.
5km to the freeway bike path and then it’s all protected.
Clothes I can leave at work, bike goes in my office and there’s a shower. It’s workable

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I ride everywhere, rain hail or shine. I do it on a slope style bike in case I want to rip some skids and clunk some stairs.

Jabubu

Limited to 25km/h legally
Not sure if you have any hills but I'd prefer to rip down some hills at 60kph than get a slightly easier time climbing up them - unless it's a chunt of a hill in which case bring on the battery assist!

Rorschach

Not sure if you have any hills but I'd prefer to rip down some hills at 60kph than get a slightly easier time climbing up them - unless it's a chunt of a hill in which case bring on the battery assist!
More undulating than anything. A few shitty ones though

PJO

in me vL comy
Do e-bikes have speed limiters?
Most hub motor ebikes start giving you less power beyond certain speed because there is no gearbox (one gear) and electric motors top out due to back EMF. My cargo bike motor would begin to decrease output around 24 top out at 28, after that it was legs and slope that got you any faster.
Ebikes with drive in the BB are usually limited.

Edit: @Rorschach got there before me

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unless it’s an e-slopestyle bike, you’re in the wrong spot Poods
I'm always in the right spot...and oddly there is a company that made an e-slope/DJ bike. It looked like arse and didn't make any sense.

Just make sure you put some slick or semi slick tyres on! All the fat old guys riding full enduro eeeeebs around my place are on huge knobbed up tyres. It's inefficient.

Get your commute on. It's a good way to live.

Jabubu

Most hub motor ebikes start giving you less power beyond certain speed because there is no gearbox (one gear) and electric motors top out due to back EMF. My cargo bike motor would begin to decrease output around 24 top out at 28, after that it was legs and slope that got you any faster.
Ebikes with drive in the BB are usually limited.

Edit: @Rorschach got there before me
Ah so you can still go faster than 25kph pointing down the hill?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Motor assistance legally has to cut out at 25kph, and given the drag from the motor on the flat you won't go far past that without significant effort.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Had some eeb drafting behind me the other day for ages at 38 km/h . I was on Cannondale super six evo (meat powered) and he was on a Focus FS on semi slicks.

Reactions: PJO