Who uses their CTD

Bodin

GMBC
Do the admins know you're advertising business in your sig?
do you have a thing where everyone who you meet takes an instant disliking to you? i know i have, and ive only read a little of the garbage you post here. you seem like a complete know-it-all smart ass actually.

besides i was only trying to help
People, this ends here. Not appropriate or necessary. If anyone's concerned about correct website usage, I'd recommend you take a read of the rules and make sure that you're squeaky clean before you start casting stones at others.

In fact, just don't cast stones at others in a public forum. If you're really concerned about someone's behaviour to the point you want something done about it, then take a mature approach and let an Admin or Mod know. Or flag the post. But don't start e-fights for the hell of it.

markb84

Likes Dirt
do you have a thing where everyone who you meet takes an instant disliking to you? i know i have, and ive only read a little of the garbage you post here. you seem like a complete know-it-all smart ass actually.

besides i was only trying to help
Touchy much? Now who comes out of this little snippet sounding like a dick muncher?

Sent from my iPhone

willsy01

Eats Squid
Quite the opposite actually. I'd suggest you not form an opinion of someone based solely on words on a screen.

Have a nice day.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To try and recover this thread from a really bad line.
On the pivot I haven't touched it yet, leave in T but haven't got it dialled yet to use D, have tried it but needs tuning. Haven't touched C, am unlikely to.
On the TRc (RP23 v2) I used it very rarely, and then it was either full open or full closed, never used the 3 settings.

mxh

Likes Dirt
I use it all the time, on both the front and rear. But that's because I've got a Scott with the Twinlock remote that operates both from one lever.

I often hear the argument that there's 'too many cables' but WTF - what does that matter when it enables you to actually use the suspension as it was intended. I mean, what's the point of a) Fox spending $$$ on R&D to give three distinct setups, only for the rider to ignore it and just use one, b) you forking out extra money for something you're not going to use, and c) carrying around the weight of an adjustable system that you don't use.

But I can see that if you don't have a remote lever, adjusting both front and rear whilst on the move would be a pain in the arse - the only obvious answer is for Fox to release a decent remote along the lines of the Twinlock

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
I use all of my CTD, but only use C when on the road. As for T and D i will just flick them over when i need to.

I had mine fixed under warranty because it wouldn't "click" into each setting and only felt like it had T and C.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I use all of my CTD, but only use C when on the road. As for T and D i will just flick them over when i need to.

I had mine fixed under warranty because it wouldn't "click" into each setting and only felt like it had T and C.
Yep, I figure the C stands for commute. I do occasionally use the D mode when riding with someone whose a bit slow ( on the rear) because it sure ain't efficient on my bike - kills me going up climbs .

g3rg

Likes Bikes
SC Solo w/ the Kashima CTD fork and shock. I use C for riding on the road to the trails, and have left it mostly in D and not noticed any real negatives so haven't really tried T that much. With everyone else talking up T mode I might have to give it a whirl though.

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
D in the front and T in the back , works for me.
As for the creaking in the 2013 front forks I used INOX MX4 spray - no more creaks.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use mine a bit, I think in a race I'd just leave it in T but when I'm mucking around I put it in D for extra braaps sometimes.

C when commuting some of the time

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Ctd

After purchasing my Fox Float 29er CTD last year, I was very disappointed with the 'climb' mode. I was assuming that it would be a lockout of some sort. (I'd just come off a rigid fork)

Well, I was wrong. The difference between Climb & Trail was almost indistinguishable.

My LBS put me in touch with Sola Sport who recommended that I 'upgrade' the flow plate. What this is or how it works I have no idea. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT? Just interested.

In any case, the fork is SOOOO much better overall. The fork performs better in general, and the climb mode is almost a complete lockout.
Positives - the fork works as it's supposed to.
Negatives - having to pay to 'upgrade' the fork. It should come this way from new! Are you reading this SOLA?

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hard Tail (Giant XTC2 27.5)
Use mine all the time. T for all general XC riding/racing, D for anything pointing down and C for firetrails climbs.
I need all the help I can get.

Dually (Santa Cruz Blur XCc 650B'd)
VPP link on my Santa Cruz lets me leave it in D or open at all times. RP23 shock is no Climb mode.
Never touch the front fork as the FIT dampener (its an older non CTD fork) seems to take care of things. Actually I'd love the FIT on my hardtail stiff when you need it and open when you hit the rough stuff.

My CTD experience so far has been really positive.

creole

Likes Bikes
nah i leave it on T front and rear. used to fluff around with it when Climbing and descending but too lazy nowadays

Bodin

GMBC
Raced a hilly 3-hr today and intentionally used all 3 modes for the whole race.

Without remotes, it's a lot of reaching and flicking of switches (3 "mode" changes front and rear for each of the 8 laps) but I kinda just got in to the rhythm of it and it became pretty instinctive.

Seemed to work pretty well and I felt like I was getting the most out of the bike all ride. I was always in the right mode for the terrain I was on at any given moment and I had my best race of the whole summer.

A single electronic button on the bars (with hidden wires or even better: wireless) would be the icing on the cake.

Jilbo

Likes Dirt
I have a Scott with Twinloc remote as well, because of this I use it all the time. My old Trek had pro pedal and I found that when engaged for a climb if I didn't unlock before a descend I wouldn't dare take my hand off during a descend to unlock.

The remote makes all the difference

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know how exactly the CTD thing works and how it alters the dynamics of the fork?

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Fox got back to me about the flow plate.

"Hi Chris, in basic terms the flow plate sets the path for the oil to flow through, the descend, trail and climb all have different set ups to create different levels of low speed compression. The new flow plate you have provide's more low speed compression and support helping the Fork ride higher and be more controled.

Are you still loving the upgrade?"

Note: I purchased a 2013 fork. All 2014 forks have the new flow plate.

Last edited:
so, why do people have it if it isn't used? Because it is supplied with the bike?
When I bought my bike it was kind of a nice feature, yes I use T and D on my rear shock, forks: leave it in D (talus 150's aren't that responsive).