Votes: 48 18.0%
  • 10-15 km

Votes: 37 13.9%
  • >15 km

Votes: 143 53.6%

• Total voters

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Not me - 4 mins one way form work to home. Due to traffic congestion its about half the car commute (time wise). Even such a short ride is saving me about 15 bucks a week

HamishS

Likes Dirt
About 10km each way Rose Bay to the Rock in Sydney 3-4 times a week.

The hill coming out of Rushcutters to Kings Cross gets me every morning! Juggling the passing buses / broken glass on the road ... just love it - oh and the burn in the legs.

Not getting any quicker though - around 20min to work is normal.

Tee Man

Likes Bikes
Warrimoo to Parramatta, just under 100km return. Everyday (only recently though).

pretty close to mine communte

home > springwood > mitchells pass, russell street > M4 >
cycleway > queen > marion > pyrmont bridge > ultimo.

i am now starting to ride back some of the way. this week to blacktown
but that was after the nightmare of train delays due to "self harm"
at wentworthville. will attempt to penrith next week.
135 km if i make it to penrith thats ample for one day for me
Heh as soon as I saw this thread, I quickly went to go through it to see whether Davzab had posted yet.

There are a few of us who commute from the lower mountains down the m4. Depart 6am from Caltex Servo corner Russel and GWH. Crossing the on and off ramps in groups is a bit dodge though. Need to start laying down some ground rules.

Canberra commute

I have started to do a regular commute to work here in Canberra now, 26kms each way on the roadie. I'm not doing it every day just yet, if I can continue it through winter it will progress to daily with a trip up Black Mountain once or twice a week. Through in 2-3 mountain biking sessions a week as well and I should be right to compete in a team at The Scott for my first race and not embarrass myself to much.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can i claim training rides right before or after work. i live 7 kms from work, but 4 days a week i do 4 different 40-50 kms loops that start at home and finish at work or start at work and finish at home.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
My direct route is about 4km but I have so many options that I take the 10km version. This incorporates a rad trail from the city centre of Coffs to the sea. It is all hardpack gravel / clay single track and is remotely flat. That then turns into a cement cycle path running along the edge of the sand and over the coastal headland. The ride takes just under thrity minutes depending on how many hills I feel like climbing. Somedays I feel like riding straight past work and doing another loop............. I love my commute!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Macquarie Park to Maianbar. Approximately 45km, almost always on my Kona Paddywagon.

Down Lane Cove Road/Warringah Freeway cycleway, across SHB, through the city, Oxford St, backstreets of Rosebery/Mascot, Airport Tunnel (gah!), cycleways along Botany Bay, across Captain Cooks Bridge, ferry from Cronulla to Bundeena & ride to Maianbar.

The only problem is I don't do it enough - it's a real adventure...

davzab

Likes Dirt
Ride on!

It's worth it..

188.08km Return.
2 x Per week at the moment, building back up after stupid injury. Hopefully will be 3 x a week some time soon.

Makes for a long day but beats wasting life on the train... and means I have an excuse to eat all day at work..:)

Zenith

Likes Bikes
Some nice rides to work here.. mine is just on 80klm return, St Marys to North Ryde via M4 to Parra, Parra River up to meadowbank then west Ryde for some hills and up to work.

Taking a bit of a brake through winter with the cold and dark.. but will be twice a week soon. bring on the sunlight in the arvo's :)

akashra

Eats Squid
Currently doing the job hunt thing again, so I'm hoping that will bring my two-way commute back up to 90km, which I can do three times a week. Will certainly be better than the 18km each way of late.

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
46k each way, mostly along M4 (ohh joy).
As a 'rest' day, train to Parra, then ride to Homebush (work).
Starting to feel guilty on the days I take the train!
Oddly enough, the wet days are when I still ride, the thought of waiting for a train when soaking wet isn't too appealing. :p

Rodders

Likes Dirt
Any Melbourne commuters out there....I ride 50km return from Huntingdale to Docklands along the Gardiner and Yarra trails. I feel pretty fortunate to have close access to a commuting trail that only has about 2% worth of back streets to get to work.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rodders Any Melbourne commuters out there....I ride 50km return from Huntingdale to Docklands along the Gardiner and Yarra trails. I feel pretty fortunate to have close access to a commuting trail that only has about 2% worth of back streets to get to work.
how long does that take you? My commute is only 8k each way, but once or twice a week it's the Yarra Trails to home for 20-25k. I can normally average 22kph, with all of the rain there's not much single track at the moment.

Lukus_g

Squid
My commute is 26km each way. All by road. (wish there was some nice dirt in the way ;) )

i ride this three days a week:
Monday i drive in with three sets of clothes
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday i ride in.
Friday i drive and take home all the washing.

Rodders

Likes Dirt
how long does that take you? My commute is only 8k each way, but once or twice a week it's the Yarra Trails to home for 20-25k. I can normally average 22kph, with all of the rain there's not much single track at the moment.
I'm referring to the bitumen Yarra trail not the dirt - although I would love to incorporate the latter